Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 25, 2017, 03:45:49 PM
Dear God, what's next...... Ensign Jar-Jar?  L:-) L:-) L:-)

Shhh, they might be listening.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bbmike

If anything is certain it's they are not listening.  :'(
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Steelgrave

SirAndrewD

Quote from: bbmike on July 25, 2017, 04:25:08 PM
If anything is certain it's they are not listening.  :'(

You are, unfortunately correct. 

They're at least not listening to TOS fans.  Checking out places like the TrekBBS, there's a lot of TNG and later fans that are happy about the direction, so there is a division. 

But, TOS fans like myself and seemingly the majority here seem to be left out.  I mean, I'm not asking for them to use cardboard sets and random flashing lights made on a shoestring budget.  I just want to see something that is a modern interpretation so we at least feel like we're in the same universe. 

And adding random Spock siblings was already unpopular in Star Trek 5.  Sort of a head scratcher that they think it's a good to tap that poisoned well again.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

SirAndrewD

BanzaiCat

So, to wear my ignorance on my sleeve as I am wont to do, why is Voyager a crap series?

I enjoyed it, more or less. The Vulcan woman's eyes being misaligned were kinda distracting. Deep Space 9 is by far my favorite of all the ST series, but Voyager isn't that bad.

Staggerwing

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 25, 2017, 08:13:38 PM
So, to wear my ignorance on my sleeve as I am wont to do, why is Voyager a crap series?

I enjoyed it, more or less. The Vulcan woman's eyes being misaligned were kinda distracting. Deep Space 9 is by far my favorite of all the ST series, but Voyager isn't that bad.

Vulcan Woman? On Voyager?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

SirAndrewD

Voyager...good?

You are not of the body.   You will be, absorbed.

Staggerwing

No, he would be more likely of the Celestial Temple. Kai Something-or-other.

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 25, 2017, 09:04:46 PM
No, he would be more likely of the Celestial Temple. Kai Something-or-other.

Kai Meow.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

DS9 is second favorite, you gain +5 to your INT attribute.  :P

For me, Voyager was a show that had a great setup for the Star Trek universe. A Federation starship that was stranded 70 years away from Federation space! It's going to be exciting seeing them trying to keep that ship running with duct tape and chicken wire while meeting completely different aliens and space stuff. I bet they show up at Deep Space 50 with a 1985 Ford 6.9L Indirect Injection (IDI) diesel engine strapped to the hull and running on dilithium fumes!

What did we get? TNG 2.0 (but not even TNG quality). The characters were all as dull as watching Picard order hot tea. The only memorable character was the hologram doctor. And he was a hologram! The ship? It ended up with faster engines!  #:-)

Sigh. I'll stop there before this gets nominated for a Prattian Post of the Year Award.  :dreamer:
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

BanzaiCat

Sigh - I meant the KLINGON woman, obviously.

I agree that Robert Picardo was the high point of that entire series. Overall, though, it was intriguing as hell. I didn't like how the series ended (let's just fast forward this here...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz...okay you're back to Earth, yay...wait, huh?), but the characters weren't too bad. Janeway was a good character, though Chakotay was a huge forced shoe-horn into the story...

Anyway, yeah, I'll shut up too before I get into a sixty-paragraph treatise on the merits of the series versus the other ones.

But DS9 was frikkin' brilliant. I loved that series. It had the best ST episode (The Visitor) of all time among all ST series. IMO of course.  O:-)

mirth

Voyager was okay, but it was the weakest of the Next Gen series. I like Kate Mulgrew, but Janeway seemed to become more shrill as the series went on. Most of the other characters were 'meh'. Neelix was Jar Jar level annoying for me.

I'm with Mike, it always seemed like a second rate TNG.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

Robert Picardo was definitely the standout, especially in the first few seasons. Eventually the writers gave his character the 'Hot Lips Houlihan discovers her kinder side' treatment.