Nvidia has broken Shadowplay again (Jan 15 2019)

Started by JasonPratt, January 15, 2019, 11:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

It might have happened earlier in an update -- I haven't updated my drivers in several months partly because I don't trust Nvidia not to break Shadowplay occasionally. As they do.

Decided to download and install tonight after several months, and surprisssseeee!  :pullhair:

Shadowplay when activated will now either quickly shift over to "recording saved", or immediately go to "recording saved". Without actually recording anything in the first example. I wasn't paying strict attention and thought I was recording footage for about 20 minutes, and when I was done I tapped out and got the expected "recording saved" message but then couldn't find the recording. After wondering if the update had reset my download folder (which has also occasionally happened), I decided to try tracing a recording, turned it on and got "recording saved". Well, duh, I thought: my collapsing neurons thought I had started recording when I hadn't, and then somehow thought I was ending recording when I started recording. But I still couldn't find the recording.

Didn't take long after that to discover it was just going to "recording saved" immediately, and so not recording anything.

So, anyone using Shadowplay to record footage right now: BE AWARE! -- BE VERY AWARE! Don't update your NVidia drivers yet!

...when they'll get this sorted out, who knows? Seems like a couple of weeks last time...  :pullhair: L:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Tonight I got to spend a few wonderful  :buck2: hours solving my problem.

Reinstall the drivers? Nope.

Clean reinstall the drivers? Nope.

Roll back the drivers? .......crap, not after the clean reinstall I can't, sigh! Should have done that the first thing and skipped the other attempts, just on general principle.

Manually found my way to Nvidia website, found my particular drivers -- which took a little work -- downloaded the wrong one at least twice.  :pullhair: But found the most recent previous one at last.

No guarantee that one would work of course, since I hadn't updated in several months -- Shadowplay might have been broken between then, although that seemed unlikely since Nvidia would be stormed by livid hackers if they released two or three broken iterations after as many weeks! But I couldn't be at all sure how far back to go safely.

Did the install, took long enough that I went off to watch Return of the King for a while. (After going downstairs for a snack.) No indication the thing wasn't just looping endlessly.

Ta-da, checked back in and it was installed. It wouldn't close and open GE Experience, but it was installed.  :P

Opened GE Experience more manually, checked my settings, all still there. Not sure whether to be relieved or worried about that!

But the final test: Shadowplay works again.

So! -- the mid-December drivers are safe, if anyone needs to know.  :nerd: <:-)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!