The Saboteur finally returns to glorious Windows action thanks to GoG!

Started by JasonPratt, December 19, 2018, 07:18:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

It will be soon. It's right up my street. I forgot to mention this but for any purchase you make on GoG right now you get Fantasy General for free, which, to me...is quite the steal. It came out before I had a modern PC (1996) and I fired it up for a few minutes last night. It's got some great atmosphere and characters. May be an ancient game that I can still get in to!

About to buy Wings of Prey Special Edition for 2.49, also from GoG.

Damn you DoctorQuest and your saucy ways.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DoctorQuest

"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on December 24, 2018, 05:11:11 PM
^Strumpet.

The strumpets with the saucy ways are in the Saboteur game.  ^-^

I've loved Fantasy General since its release, although remember not to focus too much on upgrading one or two lines of units -- otherwise the game is programmed to spam ultra-hard units at you to compensate! (The safest thing I've found is to pick two or maybe three lines of units you'll never focus on upgrading and focus on the others.)

I still listen to its (mostly Christian!) soundtrack in my car occasionally.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Gusington

^I am shocked at the the depth of Fantasy General. It's just really well done. A remake is definitely needed, retaining its atmosphere. Probably the best game I've ever received for free.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

A remake was attempted, in glorious 3D with even more depth -- but SSI shut down the usage of the property for some reason. So the remakers just created their own story.

The result has been around a while, published by 1C I think: the Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy games. I even did a narrative AAR with lots of screenies for the first half of the two main FW campaigns (which parallel each other) -- link in the description.

They run fine off Steam, and are on 80% off sale right this very moment!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/25850/Elven_Legacy/   (Get the full collection, including the 3 DLC.)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/63900/Fantasy_Wars/  (Play this first.)

Gusington

Fantasy Wars is 99 FRICKIN CENTS right now...haha!

And so is Elven Legacy. The whole GOTY package for Elven Legacy is 1.59 :)

Jeez Pratt you are like the local meth dealer.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

The above begs the question...which is better, Majesty HD or the Fantasy Wars remake?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

They're suuuuuuuuuuuper different games, aside from a general fantasy theme.

Majesty is all about its original and unique mechanics. You're going to be base-building and defending your base and sending out squads in a real-time situation, but the mechanics are far more hands-off than in standard RTS games.

FW/EL is all about Warhammeresque turn-based tabletop tactics in a somewhat puzzle-ish Panzer General environment. No base building, but there's army management between missions.