CIvillization 6 looking for some Veteran tips!

Started by Tactical Wargamer, November 06, 2017, 05:57:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tactical Wargamer

So a veteran of all the Civ's but a newbie to 6. Any tips?

What cultures are the best for domination games?

Usually, play Pangea maps - standard size with heavy on the neutrals. Any suggestions? What are some of your first moves?

Thanks, guys.....
@TacticWargamer

MetalDog

Ditch that Civ 6 crap and go back to Civ 4.  Greatest game EVAH!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

MetalDog

Sorry, Tactical Wargamer.  I kinda had to do it.  Not that I'm any good at it after the tens of thousands of hours I have put into it, but, that's what everyone around here knows me for, Civ 4.  I haven't played either of the follow up iterations, 5 or 6, so I can't answer the OP.  Sorry for hijacking your thread.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

SirAndrewD

Very hard to mess up in Civ 6. 

Make sure you pay attention to where you're placing your districts.  You should always place one where you get an adjacency bonus, and you'll see that bonus in the UI.

Unlike Civ 5 it's fine to try to do a bit of city spam in the early game.  Don't put your cities too close to each other though, the cities need room to grow and build districts. 

Pay attention to what it takes to get a Great Prophet early.  You'll want to build a shrine near a good high faith area like a lake or forest.   Getting an early pantheon so you can found a religion is a very strong long term bonus for your civ, even if you're not going for a religious victory. 

I honestly wouldn't worry about putting TOO much into military in the early game.  The AI is virtually intept at sending a significant military force at you, even if it is massively more powerful than you are.  You'll be fine getting just a few solid defensive troops to jam choke points. 

Really, best thing to do is just put your foot on the gas and go.  You'll have to have a tough start on a high difficulty to be in real trouble.  You should smoothly sail to whatever victory condition you want if you're at all a veteran of any prior civ. 

Russia and Germany are so strong as to be almost broken if you want a strong first play through where you'll wreck people. 

Best advice I can give is to poke around on some of the mods after your first play through.  MOAR units is really fun and balanced.  Expanded religions and Real Great People are solid too.  The Community Quick User Interface is SO superior to the vanilla UI that I can't play without it. 

Anyway, Civ 6 is very fun and not difficult to master.  You will build a Civilization that stands the test of time I'm sure.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

solops

Quote from: MetalDog on November 06, 2017, 08:14:54 PM
Ditch that Civ 6 crap and go back to Civ 4.  Greatest game EVAH!

+1. Civ6 is, alas, brain-dead. Civ 4 is the best of the series. Use the Caveman-to-Cosmos mod. I own them ALL, back to Civ-1...and all of the expansions. Civ 1, 2, 3 and 4 were all good. Civ 5 and 6 are busts. There is still hope for 6, but the AI is just aweful. It is still fun until you learn the system, though. It just does not have any replay value once you have learned it. I STILL play Civ4. Great game.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Oh!  Almost forgot.  Unless you want to win a points victory, make sure you always set up an advanced game and turn off the time limits.  First couple of runs I did I forgot to do that and felt rushed near the end (I always play on Marathon).

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

bbmike

Very. That might explain my recent Space Race victory.  :-[
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak