Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Okay, proper snapshot code for the Populists has been replaced.

New snapshot for Progressives showing that Flaminius has the new Ship Building Concession.

Conservative snapshot updated with AzTank's declaration (by hangout chat) that Paullus would sacrifice 2 Pop (down from 5 to 3) for an extra 4 Talents of income from Sicilian Grain (thanks to the Drought).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Per the Frog: "All to Claudius who will get a Knight and do the most expensive games he can." That will be during the Forum Phase.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

malize

Thx Jason.

15 to Fabius, he will spend 5 on knight and donate 10 to the republic

Tripoli

5 to Aelius, who buys a knight.  10 to Aelius, who donates it for 1 influence, and 5 to faction cash
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

IncompetentIdiot

10 each for influence to Scipio and Quinctius (extra influence to each other). Another 10 to Scipio.

ArizonaTank

10 to each of the guys. Paullus will spend 5 for a knight. Terentius will donate 10 for influence
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Erax

I have 2 tax farming, so my total is 19 talents, all of which go on Plautius.

JasonPratt

Yep! -- and I can see what happened: I saw two Tax Farmings, and neurons went 'blop' and crossed two goals in my head, accounting for two tax farmings, and adding their income which for each of them was 2. Result? +2 Tax Farming.  :hide:

What's sadder is that I did this correctly for Tripoli who also has two Tax Farmers (but not on the same guy).  #:-)

Lord... anyway, yes, 19 Talents, and I think that finishes everyone's distributions, so I'll process this afternoon, starting in about 2 hours I expect.

JasonPratt

Erax's 19 Talents updated (also in my game notes).

I.I. gives 20 to Scipio and 10 to Quincy, keeping 5 cash (35-20-10). Each donates 10 for 1 Inf, and give the extra Inf generated (by Aristo special ability) to each other. Scipio keeps 10 cash and goes up from 35 to 37 Inf. Quinctius goes up from 27 to 29. Aristo total goes up 4 from 90 to 94. The Aristocrats take the Influence lead again, triggering their activist votes! Republic Treasury goes up 20 Talents from 42 to 62. No further instructions yet for the Forum Phase.

Tripoli keeps 5 of his 20 cash, giving 15 to Aelius: 5 to buy an automatic knight later, and 10 to donate to the Republic now for 1 Inf. Aelius Inf goes up from 27 to 28; Militarist total from 92 to 93. Aristos remain Influence leader for now! Republic cash goes up from 62 to 72.

The Frog gives all 18 cash to the new Claudian senator, to buy a knight and to sponsor the best games he can later.

AzTank gives 10 to each senator, keeping 34. Terentius donates his 10 for 1 point of Influence (from 1 to 2, total from 32 to 33). Paullus will buy an automatic knight with 5 later. Republic cash up from 72 to 82.

Malize gives 15 (keeping 1) to Fabius Maximus who donates 10 to the Republic immediately for 1 Inf (up from 3 to 4; total up from 29 to 30), and reserves 5 for an automatic knight later. Republic cash up from 82 to 92.

Erax gives all 19 Talents to Plautius, no instructions for the Forum Phase yet.

Val's province being attacked, means no local taxes for raising further militia, so no choices possible there.

3rd segment, Republic Income! 92 starting cash; +100 standard income; +0 State taxes (all Provinces under attack or not yet Governed); -20 for Active 2nd Punic War; -0 no Land Bills; -2x29 Active units (Fleets and Legions)
= new Republic cash 94 Talents.

1 Turn remains for Val's Governance of Cisalpina Gaul.

This ends the Revenue Phase.

Erax

Oops, all money to Flaminius, he's the PontMax now, sorry! He spends 5 on a knight.

JasonPratt

Retcon'd Progressive cash distribution to PontMax Flam.  O:-)

TURN THIRTEEN -- FORUM PHASE
----------------------------

The Evil Omens disperse at the start of the phase! -- but the Drought of the Illyrian War remains.

14 Scenarios remain in the Early Provincial Deck. This means we have a very good chance of entering the next Era during this Forum Phase! -- but a 0% chance now.

I.I.'s Aristocrats roll 5+6, and so he draws a Scenario card: the 19th politically active Family, the Aemilians! This card goes directly to AzTank's Conservatives, to support the Aemilian Statesman, Lucius Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus. Thanks to a Conservative special ability, Paullus' chits and cards will be inherited by his Family's trained successor after he dies. (Until now this wasn't secured because Family #19 wasn't active yet, but AzTank was gambling that #19 would be drawn before Macedonicus died. Other Factions lack this ability!)

Back to I.I., I don't have further instructions from him yet, but someone should at least try for another knight: either Africanus (3 knights), who has 10 personal cash and could buy an automatic knight with 5 or at least bolster his chancse; or Val or Qunicy (4 knights each), who even without sacrificing cash have the natural minimum 1 in 6 chance.

I.I. could Sponsor Games (with Scipio, but only level 1), or shift his Faction Leader (from Quincy), or try to Persuade a senator (presumably with Scipio). But only Persuading a senator will affect other Players, and Scipio has the best chance which isn't great (at best! -- impossible for most targets).

So I'll provisionally move on around the table. :)

JasonPratt

Tripoli's Militarists roll... 6+2, so he draws a Scenario card, which will be the final card certain to still be Early Era.

Hannibal has arrived in Italy.

:timeout: :hide:

This adds a second 1 in 6 risk roll to the destruction of each Tax Farming Concession, oh and also another +7 to the War's basic strength, plus 9 and 16 to the automatic D/S results. (8,9,10,11,12,15 and 16 now!)

Aelius will spend all 5 of his cash Persuading an automatic 1st knight. His Mil goes up from 3 to 4. Vote tally up from 20 to 21.

With no further instructions, I'll continue around the table.

JasonPratt

The Frog's Plutocrats roll 3+2, which is a Scenario draw. There is now a 6/12 = 50% chance of staying in the Early Era...

Huh. Well, it's still the Early Era. This is our first publicly available Concession of the game! (I'll show it in the Forum along with other effects and Sulpy in case anyone wants a reminder of how tough he is now to Persuade. ;) Left-click to embiggen and see the cards more clearly with some scrolling.)

This Concession grants 3 Talents of extra senatorial income per Turn, during the Revenue Phase (as usual), and unlike most Concessions it cannot be destroyed. However, if no Land Bill is in effect at the end of the Forum Phase (which means a Level 2 or 3 Bill) -- which there won't be, so no reason to even give it to the Frog -- then this Concession immediately returns to the Forum, where it can be voted upon for giving to a Faction.

Pre previous instructions, Claudius spends 5 of his 18 Talents buying his first knight (vote tally up to 13), and then sacrifices his remaining 13 cash to Sponsor Blood Fest Games. His Popularity goes up from 0 to 2. (Unrest is already at 0.) Unless the Frog wants to change his Faction Leadership to someone other than Claudius, this ends his Forum round.

JasonPratt

AzTank's Conservatives roll 6+3, and he draws a Scenario. There is now a 45.45% chance of remaining in the Early Era... but it's a red-text Faction card, face down to his hand. I'll p-mail him about it.

AzTank's Paullus buys an automatic 2nd knight with 5 (vote tally up to 13). He doesn't have enough Persuasion power to go after anyone, so unless Furius is planning to Sponsor Level 1 Games, and/or AzTank wants to shift his Faction Leader to someone other than Furius, this ends his round.

JasonPratt

Malize's Populists roll 4+1, which is a scenario card. The previous card's Era is unknown (except to me and AzTank), but there might be a 6/10 = 60% chance of entering the Middle Era... it's Faction card, too, sent face-down to his hand, which now has 3. I've p-mailed him the information.

Fabius Maximus spends 5 for an automatic 2nd knight, Populist vote tally up from 32 to 33. Unless Malize wants to give Faction Leadership to someone other than Cato, this ends his Forum round.