This Weekend's Feature: Comparing Afghanistan '11 to Vietnam '65

Started by bayonetbrant, June 10, 2017, 06:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

I enjoyed the review.  I have Vietnam 65 (sadly unplayed).  What is the fun factor of each?

JasonPratt

I had a blast playing V65. (I've got an absolute newbie AAR for it in the digital AAR subthread somewhere. Um, here!) It's very much a solo board wargame blinged out nicely, with plenty of subtle depth, even though you essentially have to use Australian rather than American patrol tactics: there is no feasible way to win or even really play the game sending out patrols on a circuit loop back to base once per day. You have to hunt and camp in the bush with air supply being flown in regularly (and the occasional evac).

This article made me rather lust to buy Af11, even though I purchased it day 1! -- but I haven't played it yet.  :-[
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Quote from: airboy on June 10, 2017, 10:33:24 PM
I enjoyed the review.  I have Vietnam 65 (sadly unplayed).  What is the fun factor of each?
Apples and oranges... Vietnam '65 provides the same basic gameplay found in Afghanistan '11. For what it is, it is fun, but it is definitely Afghanistan lite. Afghanistan '11 has much more to it, adding to the complexity. The fun factor depends on how much detail you are looking for, as they both have the same 'core' gameplay in my honest opinion.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Boggit

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 12, 2017, 10:37:38 AM
I had a blast playing V65. (I've got an absolute newbie AAR for it in the digital AAR subthread somewhere. Um, here!) It's very much a solo board wargame blinged out nicely, with plenty of subtle depth, even though you essentially have to use Australian rather than American patrol tactics: there is no feasible way to win or even really play the game sending out patrols on a circuit loop back to base once per day. You have to hunt and camp in the bush with air supply being flown in regularly (and the occasional evac).

This article made me rather lust to buy Af11, even though I purchased it day 1! -- but I haven't played it yet.  :-[
It is similar, but the added features do distinguish it. I found myself running out of political points at an alarming rate - you need to set up as many water towers as you can to provide a regular source of PP's. Glad you liked the article. :)
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JasonPratt

Dear diary: I lost Operation Rhino today, dooming America's initial efforts in the Stan, when I foolishly thought I could build a forward operating base on a hex with a road.  :buck2: What was I thinking? -- a base with a road??  :'( :uglystupid2:

My men were unable or unwilling to destroy the road to build the FOB, and mocked me mercilessly with their passive-aggressive insubordination until, after about a week had passed, their vehicles ran out of fuel, stranding them in the desert along with me.

We shall soon die, but I shall die knowing that the roads we build in this land shall last like the monuments of Ozymandius for eternal generations to come!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Sir Slash

Great review Boggit. Thanks for the 'Low-Down' on this little gem.  O0
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.