The Operational Art of War IV

Started by jomni, April 12, 2017, 07:18:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Lets put it this way - I'll be surprised if it's here by Christmas if it's being dispatched (estimated) on the 18th  :DD
Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

Hope it wasn't coming via Argentine submarine.  :hide:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 05, 2017, 07:32:03 PM
Hope it wasn't coming via Argentine submarine.  :hide:

ouch that is a little harsh under the circumstances

Sir Slash

Apologies extended to those offended, Argentines or otherwise.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

W8taminute

This is a great game.  Playing North Africa '40 as the Commonwealth currently.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Rayfer

Quote from: W8taminute on December 17, 2017, 08:55:46 AM
This is a great game.  Playing North Africa '40 as the Commonwealth currently.

+1  Awesome game.  One minor quibble...the age of rifles senarios like Shiloh use the ww2 sound effects when units move. With fog of war on you can hear the enemy cavalry approaching but with the sound of clanking tank treads.  I wish they would change this.

mirth

Damn Jeb Stuart and his light tanks!
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Was he the one that marched his Nazi troops through the Shenandoah Valley?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Moreb

Quote from: mirth on December 17, 2017, 12:43:33 PM
Damn Jeb Stuart and his light tanks!

Sherman and a few of his tanks would sure botch things up for those boys. It wasn't until recently that I learned that Tecumseh was a loader and not the gunner as originally thought. He preferred discard sabot. Who would have thunk?
When dongles fly? - mirth

mikeck

I bought this game primarily to play 19th century battles. It SEEMS like the focus of the game is mainly WW2 and later. What is your opinion on how it simulates the battle of Shiloh and maybe other 19th century batles
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RyanE

It wasn't built for 19th century.  I think there are statements to that effect in the game and on the forum somewhere.  It does a decent job at it, but has some limitations.  Don't for get, I think the original name of it was Operation Art of War: 20th Century Warfare or something like that.

I have played Franco-Prussian scenarios with no issues, so I am betting its as much a scenario design issue as anything.  There are a million little nuances that come into play when working at the extreme edge of the game's capabilities.

RyanE

In fact, I just looked at the product page and look what's in the very first part of the description...

" it will make you relive the most iconic battles from the dawn of the 20th Century to modern day, including the ones that never occurred!"

And in the game specs on the same page...

"Period: World War I, World War II, Modern, Inter War Period"

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/product.asp?gid=587

ArizonaTank

Quote from: mikeck on December 18, 2017, 07:06:12 PM
I bought this game primarily to play 19th century battles. It SEEMS like the focus of the game is mainly WW2 and later. What is your opinion on how it simulates the battle of Shiloh and maybe other 19th century batles

I agree, game is not really good at 19th century. 

So, I am patiently waiting for Ezra Sidran's "General Staff"

Ezra goes way back to almost the beginning of PC wargames, so the game has a good pedigree.
It should cover the 18th - 19th centuries well.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

bbmike

We...need...Age...of...Rifles...2!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Don't know - I'm waiting on my printed manual before I get tore in :'(
Alba gu' brath