Oh my...Elite Dangerous:Horizons

Started by JudgeDredd, August 28, 2016, 04:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I fired up Elite Dangerous tonight for the first time in a looooong time and I have to say, my initial impressions felt like when I first took ownership of the game.

It's certainly seems to be fleshed out somewhat, with characters giving missions instead of just a list of missions from "nobodys" and different voices on different stations for welcoming you.

I especially liked the fact I was actually able to complete a mission (for 70k+ credits) when the last time I played I was stuck in some arse end of the universe where half the places had not been discovered and I couldn't find fuel depots and kept running out of fuel between systems.

I was also blown away with being able to deliver my cargo to a base on a planet. Coming out of space and into orbit was cool. The last time I loaded this I had just got Horizons and I remember wanting to go down to a planetary base and I couldn't because I didn't have some piece of kit installed...strange how I could now. I guess either they've removed that technology requirement, or added it to everyone's ship or perhaps the planet I was trying to land on then and the one now were different and this one didn't need that piece of kit.

Overall, I was rather impressed again.
Alba gu' brath

undercovergeek

As soon as I get my flight stick out of storage I'm upgrading and going back in - my poor asp has been docked somewhere for 18 months now - if no mans sky did anything for me it was make me want to play elite again

JudgeDredd

Quote from: undercovergeek on August 28, 2016, 05:11:30 PM
As soon as I get my flight stick out of storage I'm upgrading and going back in - my poor asp has been docked somewhere for 18 months now - if no mans sky did anything for me it was make me want to play elite again
It was exactly NMS that got me fired up on Elite again  O0
Alba gu' brath

mikeck

JD...I believe that every ship now comes equipped with a planetary (moon really) landing tech-thingy. If you look at your ships equipment (non core...or optional...whatever it's called) you can see it. You do have to buy a rover bay AND an actual rover if you want to drive around though
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

JudgeDredd

Thanks - that was certainly a nice surprise
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Yep, Horizons really changed things for the better. 

Even moreso, with Engineers.  Even thought the random number generator aspect on them is a bit grindy, the amount of customization they provide is ridiculously good. 

Good things seem to be coming with 2.2 Guardians as well.  Ship launched fighters, ship transfer services, crew, passenger missions, aliens.  It's going to be quite a big jump in content and customization. 

Elite is really coming into its own. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Quote from: SirAndrewD on August 29, 2016, 03:14:28 PM
Yep, Horizons really changed things for the better. 

Even moreso, with Engineers.  Even thought the random number generator aspect on them is a bit grindy, the amount of customization they provide is ridiculously good. 

Good things seem to be coming with 2.2 Guardians as well.  Ship launched fighters, ship transfer services, crew, passenger missions, aliens.  It's going to be quite a big jump in content and customization. 

Elite is really coming into its own.

When exactly is Guardians expected? I think I heard sometime in October?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 29, 2016, 03:43:36 PM
When exactly is Guardians expected? I think I heard sometime in October?

Everything I heard has been October. 

There might be some wiggle on that on the introduction of aliens though.  There were some wink and nod hints that they may come in independently before 2.2.  Specifically, this message was decoded from "strange transmissions" on gamescom footage:

"We've found something. Something incredible. Something the whole galaxy will want to see. The truth.

To find us, look for a bounty hunter.

To find more clues you'll need pre-logistics support in a system with one star, two belts, three rings, and enough radiation to turn you green.

The hunt begins on the 28th."

The system described has already been identified, and there's a lot of commanders looking around out there, but I haven't heard anything "incredible" being found yet.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

ghostryder

I've been looking at this for some time waiting for them to get past the 'tip' point of things to do. Sure sounds like they are there or close. I've got my joystick in some box in some closet somewhere--really wanting to jump in soon. Thanks for the posts. :)

undercovergeek

my first foray after 18 months tonight - upgraded to horizons - all i wanted to do was take 100 units of slaves to my old haunt, bought them, launched

totally forgot how to exit the station, nearly crashed on the wall, forgot how to raise landing gear, boost, and then couldnt navigate to the next system........... having barely made it to the target station i then couldnt pull out of supercruise, nearly docked without permission - i have forgotten EVERYTHING!! thankfully made a safe landing and sold the slaves - im staying parked there for a while until i figure out what the hell to do again

bob48

..I was just starting to get into again as well, after several months away and my despicable PC died on me.

It seems that if I make my way to Clauss City, there is a free ship for me.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on September 05, 2016, 03:59:54 PM
..I was just starting to get into again as well, after several months away and my despicable PC died on me.

It seems that if I make my way to Clauss City, there is a free ship for me.

oh i say - how do you know?

bob48

It was announced in a Newsletter a few months ago. Cant tell you exactly when since I lost a lot of stuff when my PC packed-in. It may have been when they launched 'Horizons'.

I don't know if its still there, or if people had a different location to get it - I seem to think that it may be randomised or the place would have been swamped. Try asking on the Steam Forum.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

YosemiteMark

I just got back into this game myself, after getting a new fully-loaded rig.  Really enjoying it!

undercovergeek

Good news - there are/were lucrative 'shadow running' smuggling missions that utilised the need for proper smuggling tactics, and paid handsomely

Bad news - they paid so well some people got so upset they crashed the markets. Apparently there's a rare commodity or independent commodity by the name of alien artefacts that in mass numbers cause damage to a space station or ship. The stations handing out these missions were targeted by the unhappy masses who dumped thousands of tonnes of alien artefacts into the markets effectively shutting down the mission boards - then the smug ne'er do wells retired to the forum to say 'no more fancy missions we crashed your money making exploits'

On one hand I think it's cool this mechanic exists

On the other I think their asshats