Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by Jarhead0331, January 27, 2012, 09:35:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

In case some people still have/play this game :

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/191785/a-typo-broke-aliens-colonial-marines-ai
https://www.resetera.com/threads/aliens-colonial-marines-ai-fixed-by-a-single-letter.55247/

A story on ResetEra highlights a post on Mod DB that suggests some of the problems with unintelligent AI in Aliens Colonial Marines may be the result of a typo in the code.

Knowing full well how absurd this sounds on the surface, I took it upon myself to reinstall the PC version of the game, look at the .ini file and check myself. Sure enough, a single letter typo was found exactly where he claimed. I was in disbelief. As recommended, I fixed the typo, saved it in Notepad and booted the game up.

The improvement is immediately recognizable in your first encounters with the Xenos. While they still charge you perched on their hind legs, they now crawl far more often, flank you using vents and holes in the environment and are generally far more engaged and aggressive. Five years after release, a single letter managed to overhaul the entirety of the enemy AI behavior in the game.

BanzaiCat

^ Thanks, Pete, for posting that.

I'm going to give it a try myself. Might take a while to install but if that's the only thing...hell why not.

I might try some mods too. My PC isn't a thoroughbred but it should still hopefully run.

Destraex

lol... this cannot be true!
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

-budd-

Hmm...interesting, the AI was the reason i didn't finish and uninstalled. When i work my way around to reinstalling this going to have to install that mod and give it a go. If its a simple fix, why didn't the developers fix it? The whole release was a fiasco. Thanks for the information.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

steve58

...and with the AI "fixed" Aliens: Colonial Marines Collection is also on sale at Fanatical for $2.99 for the next ~21 hours.

Includes:

Aliens Colonial Marines
Aliens Colonial Marines - Stasis Interrupted
Aliens Colonial Marines: Bug Hunt DLC
Aliens Colonial Marines: Reconnaissance Map Pack DLC
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Collector's Edition Pack
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Double-Barrelled Shotgun
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Limited Edition Pack
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Movie Map Pack
Aliens: Colonial Marines - Sharp Sticks
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

Well, I just searched my folder as specified in the article, and cannot find the file.

The article says to go to "My Document\My Games\Aliens Colonial Marines\PecanGame\Config\PecanEngine.ini" but it's not located there. My folder search ends in the Config folder, and there's no PecanEngine.ini file in that folder. There IS a "UserConfig" folder with two sub-folders that each have a PecanEngine.ini file, but I could not find the line specified in the article that is typo'd (I did a search in Notepad++ and no dice).

I then went back and searched the entire Aliens Colonial Marines folder for every PecanEngine.ini file and found no less than seven of them. I checked each but none of them have the indicated value/programming line.

I went into Windows to display hidden files, just in case, and nothing extra appears.

I'm at a loss; I can't get it to do this.

Though...maybe it has to do with installing the mods? I guess I'll give that a shot.

Gusington

COME ON - do it for The Team.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I played it for maybe 30 minutes total this weekend - I can't tell a difference in the AI, and no added files were placed in the specified folder. I thought I had read that the mod would fix this issue. I've actually died a few times. If it didn't have a damned checkpoint system it might be less frustrating. Maybe it IS working better, now.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 16, 2018, 03:57:22 PM
I played it for maybe 30 minutes total this weekend - I can't tell a difference in the AI, and no added files were placed in the specified folder. I thought I had read that the mod would fix this issue. I've actually died a few times. If it didn't have a damned checkpoint system it might be less frustrating. Maybe it IS working better, now.

Where did you fin the correct file and path? I'm having the same issue. Can't find the file with the referenced code?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2018, 01:15:57 PM

Where did you fin the correct file and path? I'm having the same issue. Can't find the file with the referenced code?

Nevermind...found it. It was in my onedrive...strange.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mbar

Played many hours of ACM back when released.Played game and DLC to completion and  unlocked everything. Many hours spent playing the hoard mode (Survivor) in solo. What a rush!

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2018, 01:20:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 17, 2018, 01:15:57 PM

Nevermind...found it. It was in my onedrive...strange.

What's the path/folder, JH? I want to double check to see if the mod changed it or not.