IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: W8taminute on February 22, 2019, 08:46:05 AM
Quote from: JasonPratt on February 21, 2019, 12:03:43 PM
...One thing this game needs is recon photo capability to share with players on the same side.

Actually I saw a YouTube video the other day in which one guy flew his fighter over a target, took a screenshot, then shared it on Discord with his team mates.  They then followed up with a pretty good bomb run.  Maybe we can try this out next time?

Oooooo...!  :o I concur with this plan!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Tuna

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 22, 2019, 03:21:43 PM
Tuna flying under me was hilarious!

Not as hilarious as me wiping the port off the map ten minutes later with THREE MILLION EIGHT HUNDRED THOUSAND GRAMS OF HIGH EXPLOSIVE WRAPPED IN SHRAPNEL, but still genuinely hilarious.  :D

(Also hilarious, the number of 111s I buried in the dirt trying to learn again how to take off and fly with nearly four million grams of etc. ::) )

(Also hilarious, crippling my own bomber wiping the port off the map because I caught myself in the shockwaves.  :coolsmiley: )

To be fair, I was able to come in so low on the port thanks to Tuna's sovereign efforts removing the AA first.

Were you able to find a way to 'change' the bomb delay while 'in flight'.. or is that only changeable in the hanger?

Hey all that devastation that was next to the port before I dive bombed was per the JP Nuclear express!

JasonPratt

I haven't been able to look into it yet (nor really needed to -- in most cases it would be silly for me to fly low for a level or shallow dive run with such large bombs.)

I had faaaaarrrr too much umpiring to do for the Grogpublic tonight (about 4 hours worth!) bur I hope you and W8 and SDR had a lot of fun on the server!

I should be clear to fly quite a bit tomorrow, until the Saturday Night Fights over at ArmDrag.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Tuna

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 23, 2019, 12:06:10 AM
I haven't been able to look into it yet (nor really needed to -- in most cases it would be silly for me to fly low for a level or shallow dive run with such large bombs.)

I had faaaaarrrr too much umpiring to do for the Grogpublic tonight (about 4 hours worth!) bur I hope you and W8 and SDR had a lot of fun on the server!

I should be clear to fly quite a bit tomorrow, until the Saturday Night Fights over at ArmDrag.

It was that bland Moscow Map that we had a hard time navigating last week.. We did the same mission (the fuel depot), we all got there, hit the target and made it back. I just think the port was a lot more fun!..

W8t signed off and SDR and I went after a tank column, with that one I ended up crashing from too low a strafing run. We called it a night around then.

Tuna

They locked all the bomb loads in KOTA  :pullhair: . Oh well it was fun while it lasted.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Tuna

I talked  to the server owner, it was a mistake.  But they are blocking some of the heavys.

JasonPratt

.......wat.

Sounds like I'm heading for Wings of Liberty then!  :D

(I do kind of understand. If there are relatively few players on the server, there's prorportionately less probable interceptor defense against planes lumbering along with the heavier bombs.)

Tuna

KOTA stats site is back up. Nothing from over the weekend tallied because it was down during that time.

http://kotastat.com/en/?tour=3

W8taminute

That's good news.  Now our tallies will be tallied again.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Quote from: Tuna on February 28, 2019, 09:26:22 PM
I talked  to the server owner, it was a mistake.  But they are blocking some of the heavys.

Incidentally, we discovered that the KOTA admins set up copy-planes among the heavy bombers, so that most heavies cannot carry the heaviest loads, but a few of them can. Which was a clever balancing solution.

JasonPratt

Flew with Tuna a little on his last day able to "rudder" for a while (surgery being today). I don't think we struck the same targets at the same time, but it was a fun night.

After you left last night, Tuna, almost everyone left the server except for the Amazing Fire, who naturally felt kind of lonely, so we challenged to a duel: I took up a JU-88 to practice some line- and glide-bombing, and he hunted me on the map as I gave increasingly specific clues about my target. Eventually I lined up perfectly on an armored column, and let him know specifically what I was attacking -- but then all of a sudden my ping tanked and the server kicked me off!!

I felt bad for him, too, after that epic buildup, since he wanted a chance at getting five kills in one mission, so I agreed to a straight duel this time, over the German port (his choice, since he knew I didn't fly fighters and the flak would give me some help). I intended to find a German fighter to fly for the first time, but discovered that on the Kuban map of 1944 none of my fighters (from Moscow and Stalingrad packs) were unlocked!!

So I hopped into a 1941 He-111 (which was available), painted bright white, on the theory that it had the best AI guns of anything I could find, and told him I was on the way -- but not what I was flying, or what direction I'd approach from, nor what airport. I took a roundabout route on the coast, mostly so that I could get the bomber up near the cloud ceiling (though I promised to stay under the cloud tops and would get back under if I went over by accident), and also partly to make him burn fuel (though I only brought 40% myself).

By the time I got there he was bingo fuel, but had enough for dogfighting a bomber! Unfortunately, in the process of trying to text him my incoming altitude (since he was running low on fuel and didn't have time for a proper hunt), I accidentally deselected both my engines! -- so when the time came, none of my throttle and prop-pitch controls would work!

He used up all his remaining ammo on me, and I gave my guys the best shots I could manage under the circumstances (i.e. with a dead throttle and trying to figure out how and why to fix it). My guys got a few shots in, but his last slugs fatally wounded both my engines. I managed a controlled crash landing near the port, wheels down, though I nosed into the dirt after all. All the crew survived, and TAF got his fifth kill for the campaign board, so everyone was happy. {g} (Including a third guy coming in on the Russian side who got to enjoy our sparring from the side while going about his business.)

Tuna

Victim for hire! Sorry I couldn't stay longer had to get up early. Ended up waking up at 3am, so hopefully sleep well tonight

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Big news for Tank Crew! I was going to fly the Tomcat tonight...put looks like I might be going back to WWII instead... :smitten:

https://il2sturmovik.com/news/466/update-3012/

1. Fw 190 D-9 "Dora" fighter is available to Battle of Bodenplatte Premium Edition owners;
2. Prokhorovka map (Southern part of the Kursk salient) is available to Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka owners;
3. M4A2 tank is available to Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka owners;
4. PzKpfw.III Ausf.M  tank is available to Tank Crew - Clash at Prokhorovka owners;

5. Fokker D.VIIF fighter is available to Flying Circus - Volume I owners;
6. Locomotive tenders are destroyable once again;
7. The oxygen system capacity corrected (increased) on Fokker D.VII;
8. The sound of a damaged engine made more pronounced on all aircraft;
9. KV-1s, Pz.VI-H1, M4A2, and Pz.III-M have night gunsight illumination;
10. KV-1s and Pz.VI-H1 turrets bend their antennas when rotating;
11. Rocket exhaust flame corrected - it cuts immediately when the engine of a rocket stops and its smoke trail disappears faster;
12. A game freeze (when a statistics screen was visible on top of the other menus) has been fixed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18