Tanks!

Started by bayonetbrant, February 18, 2013, 08:51:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

mirth

Men of US 1st Marine Division with a M26 Pershing tank near Chosin Reservoir, North Korea, December 1950.

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on October 15, 2014, 08:02:20 AM

yeah, unless that guy is trying to shoot down Skylab, he's just acting like a buffoon
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

With those pennants maybe he's thinks he's auditioning for the live-action movie version of Girls Und Panzer.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: mirth on October 13, 2014, 04:08:03 PM

Looking at that image, I have to wonder why the gun barrel does not go across the top of the turret with loading at the back?
Wouldn't it be better for shooting from behind a berm?
Wouldn't it be more accurate with most of the barrel stabilized inside the top of the turret? Far more metal around it?
Just to be clear, I am talking about the whole turret on a pivot.
Louder from inside?

Just curious, I have never tried to research tanks.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

It seems to me that all the new, light, super strength materials are primarily strong in tension, so why not have a tank gun kick from the front of the barrel, spreading the load to the tracks from a shallower angle? Have the whole turret with ammo a separate module sitting on top of the crewed APC tank. Robotic loader of course.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

possibly the first time Ive ever heard the phrase uttered, " Wouldn't it be more accurate " when talking about an M-1.  :uglystupid2:
the whole turret on a pivot idea was tried with the French AMX series of tanks and its just not as durable as the traditional set up. 
the cutaway is also taking some liberties with the actual layout of the turret interior and width of metal.
Toonces - Don't ask me, I just close my eyes and take it.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on October 17, 2014, 12:20:14 AM
It seems to me that all the new, light, super strength materials are primarily strong in tension, so why not have a tank gun kick from the front of the barrel, spreading the load to the tracks from a shallower angle? Have the whole turret with ammo a separate module sitting on top of the crewed APC tank. Robotic loader of course.

that just put more workload on the remaining 3 crewmen.
the West went with 4 guys and the commies went with 3.  wanna guess whos lost the most tanks over the last 70 years?  its quite a large, order of magnitude, type of gap.   ;)

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

bob48

Didn't the Israelis fit the AMX oscillating turrets to some M4A3E8's?
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

GDS_Starfury

Not that I know of.  Ill have to dig around when I get home.

GDS_Starfury

It uses the amx cannon.

mirth

Quote from: bob48 on October 17, 2014, 12:47:34 PM
Didn't the Israelis fit the AMX oscillating turrets to some M4A3E8's?

The Egyptians mated some AMX-13 turrets to M-4 hulls which, of course, the Israelis then captured.

bob48

Yep, just found that exact same picture when I looked. That's obviously the vehicle that I was thinking of.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

mirth

Any Egyptian AFV can be counted as Israeli. Eventually at least some of the type will find it's way into Israeli service :P