Warhammer Fantasy RP 4th Edition (Cubicle 7)

Started by Nefaro, April 03, 2018, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Reportedly coming out in June.

I'm not too crazed about a return to a d100 system (ugh.. juggling hordes of DRMs  ::) ), but it's that dark Warhammer Fantasy setting so I'll likely buckle like a belt if there's enough good-looking content.

Cover art on their 'Starter Kit', and possibly the core manual:

Dammit Carl!

Lordy.  I'm all rebooted out to be honest.

Still bought Zweihander mind you (more for the idea of a late Medieval / Renaissance themed game with all the creepy, juicy WHFRP monster bits with the serial numbers filed off) but that's just one book - you know this thing is going to cover multiple books and I'm just....no.

However, I do wish them all the luck.

Nefaro

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on April 05, 2018, 10:08:25 AM
Lordy.  I'm all rebooted out to be honest.

Still bought Zweihander mind you (more for the idea of a late Medieval / Renaissance themed game with all the creepy, juicy WHFRP monster bits with the serial numbers filed off) but that's just one book - you know this thing is going to cover multiple books and I'm just....no.

However, I do wish them all the luck.

That's my big warning sign, too.  The tendency for WFRP to be divided up into multiple high-cost low-content products ever since 2nd edition.  I'll definitely wait until 4e core is out to see whether they skimped on it yet again.  It's the reason I grabbed Zweihander; because it has a ton of content in the core book.  :bd:  I'll give the clunky d100 stuff an OK since it has so much else going for it.  8)

On another note:

Ulisses Spiele's upcoming WH40K rpg will use a more modern dice pool system with varied results.  Judging by the previews of how their 40K will work, it borrows heavily from Jay Little's designs such as FFG Star Wars, and primarily Modiphius' 2d20.  Which is excellent.  :clap:

I may even put my 40k Deathwatch collection up for sale before it's out. 

WH40K: Wrath & Glory
http://www.ulisses-us.com/games/warhammer-40000-roleplay/

They made a web comic on some of the basics:

http://www.ulisses-us.com/comic/wg-example-p1/

Tpek

I'm still waiting for the 4th edition.
And I do wonder how it will be. FFG's 3rd edition was so vastly different (and IMHO, inferior) in comparison with the 2nd edition (still my favorite).

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on July 04, 2018, 04:16:59 PM
I'm still waiting for the 4th edition.
And I do wonder how it will be. FFG's 3rd edition was so vastly different (and IMHO, inferior) in comparison with the 2nd edition (still my favorite).

I like 3e for being so different.  Of course, it was an early & unique version of the same system used in the very popular FFG Star Wars series.  Some traditionalists don't like either.  *shrug*  I think the complaints about being overpriced, and having the content split up into small expansion bits, had some merit.  WFRP3 did look pretty damn sexy, though, and it appears to save a lot of referencing look-up during game time if you're okay with lotsa cards - which has become more accepted in RPG'ing since WFRP3's release (back when it was something unusual).

I was never a big fan of d100 systems and their inherent DRM bloat, so I'm always happy to see a different core system used, as in the upcoming Warhammer 40K RPG.  Still disappointed about WFRP4e reverting to the unwieldy and antiquated system, especially since I picked up a physical copy of Zweihander awhile back which is likely a much higher bang-for-the-buck value.  Every time I open it, or Dark Heresy 2e, it reminds how bloated & ungainly the Warhammer d100s can be.   :-\

bayonetbrant

Cube7 was running WHFRP sessions at Origins right down the aisle from us.  You coulda come played some there :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 10, 2018, 04:15:03 PM
Cube7 was running WHFRP sessions at Origins right down the aisle from us.  You coulda come played some there :)

Damn, Brant!  I'm not made of money!  I got more games to buy! 

Travel?  Pfah!   >:D

bayonetbrant

Travel there, buy more, in some cases pay less, and maybe win a few freebies....  :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Tpek

Already pre-ordered the PDF via DriveThruRPG.
They even give you a preview copy to check out until the full product comes out.
(Which helps people find and point out various errors in the book)

Nefaro

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 11, 2018, 06:10:52 AM
Travel there, buy more, in some cases pay less, and maybe win a few freebies....  :)

^-^

Tpek

For those that didn't notice, the final finished Rules Book is available on DriveThruRPG.

The physical copies should start shipping out soonish.

Nefaro

WFRP 4 looks less like olde Warhammer grimdark, and closer to modern D&D in theme and artwork, in the multiple preview flip-throughs I've seen.   ::)  Was supposedly going back to a 1st Edition WFRP vibe but it appears to have gone in the opposite direction.  L:-)

Definitely sticking with Zweihander.

Yskonyn

If you ever plan to run a Zweihänder campaign be sure to poke me!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Dammit Carl!

Aye!  And count my blade for Sigmar, er, generic German sounding Noble too!

Nefaro

Quote from: Yskonyn on August 27, 2018, 02:53:46 PM
If you ever plan to run a Zweihänder campaign be sure to poke me!

Quote from: Dammit Carl! on August 27, 2018, 07:12:01 PM
Aye!  And count my blade for Sigmar, er, generic German sounding Noble too!

Yessirs!