What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Did any of you guys try Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?  I thought it was pretty clever and quite enjoyed it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Yeah I liked it and even liked the movie.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MetalDog

And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Toonces

I never saw the movie, but I'm game to give it a shot.  I honestly had no idea what the book was about (besides Lincoln hunting vampires).  The premise was really clever IMO.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Sir Slash

Was that the movie where Grant turned into a werewolf and bit the head off of Jeff Davis? Or was that, Wild, Wild West with Will Smith?  ::)
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on November 01, 2018, 09:26:23 AM
Bonus points revoked for not providing links.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B00CKCXHB0/ref=dp_st_0812523830

Note that this is only a handy Amazon list. Some editions of some books are only available at grossly inflated prices, but anything can be found cheap in some editions.

I definitely put Old Friend of the Family at 3rd best of the series, and one of my favorites. It starts, however, the trend of the series only being very good when Dracula is around. Quick plot: a wealthy American family's daughter, near modern Chicago, is slain and their son kidnapped for ransom (being sent back in pieces) -- but they're descended from Mina Harker, and rousing the wrath of the King of Vampires turns out not to be an ideal long-term survival plan.

(He decides at the end of the story to immigrate to Chicago to enjoy modern life and keep an eye on his beloved's descendants. So he's like having a polite and benevolent old mafia uncle whose nephews and nieces get into supernatural trouble on a regular basis, sometimes by fools who think it's a good idea to challenge THE KING OF ALL VAMPIRES YOU MORONS!  :D )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

An Old Friend of the Family at 3rd best? -25 points.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Yskonyn

Started 'The coming of Conan the Cimmerian' , the first book in the series of three by Del Rey publishing.
These books tell the unedited stories as written by Robert Howard of my favourite hero! The tales are printed in the order that Howard wrote them, not the chronological order of Conan's life.
I also have a 'complete' bundle where the stories are told in chronological order, but this book features the (often heavily) edited tales by other authors to make them more modern, which I personally find pretty blasphemous. So when I found out that 'complete' edition was just a load of crap I went digging and found the Del Rey books. They should portray the tales in their original form.

Its good reading to get inspired for Nefaro's upcoming campaign as well.  :smitten:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

ArizonaTank

Finishing "Thunder in the Argonne" by Douglas Mastriano

https://www.amazon.com/Thunder-Argonne-Americas-Greatest-Campaigns/dp/0813175550/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541393519&sr=8-1&keywords=thunder+in+the+argonne

A great military history of the AEF's Meuse Argonne Offensive. Unlike other authors, he includes a good view of the German side; who the units were, what their commander's were thinking etc. The author is a Colonel in the US Army, so he describes the fighting from the an almost purely military point of view. Very little of the political discussion that you might see in other WWI books. This is also not a Pershing fanboy book. He rightly calls out the good and bad to Pershing's methods. For example, Pershing's insistence that regimental commanders lead from the front, usually meant that they were unable to properly coordinate their subordinates. Finally, it is not an AEF cheerleading book either. Other authors have over or under emphasized the US contribution to ending the Great War; I think the author gets the balance just right.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

Is this where you got a lot of those regimental histories you've been reporting in the other category? Those are good reading.  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Currently re-reading the Foundation series by Asimov. Trying to work in all the novels not just the originals. Still a great read... although I'm actually listening to audiobooks.

Something that's popped out at me this time through is the fact that, although never explicitly said, Asimov has implicitly written a galaxy with no alien life in it. Just humans on 25 millions worlds through out our galaxy.
I wonder if he had this as a personal belief, or just to make the novels easier from a not having to deal with aliens point of view....?

Yskonyn

Asimov is great! I haven't read everything yet, but indeed, I never realised it either, but there aren't any aliens now that you mention it.  :coolsmiley:
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

besilarius

It was pretty early Asimov, so he may not have thought of it.
Also, a number of reviewers were surprised that a female was a major character.  How times have changed.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.