My Stash

Started by Tuna, October 18, 2017, 07:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

The choices were:  bury them in the sand, fly them to Iran, watch them get blowed up.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Staggerwing

I've always been curious about the 'fly 'em to Iran' thing. What was the Iraqi AF trying to accomplish? It's not like the Iranians were ever going to give the planes back or anything.

Or could those have been Shia pilots pulling a Belenko? I'm guessing there were probably not a lot of them in the Iraqi AF back then.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

It doesn't seem like many smart decisions were beimg made in Iraq back then. Or ever.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Nice Belenko reference, btw

Staggerwing

Thanks. I was just entering High School when Viktor made his sushi run so it was kind of a big deal back then.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Staggerwing on October 23, 2017, 06:18:09 PM
I've always been curious about the 'fly 'em to Iran' thing. What was the Iraqi AF trying to accomplish? It's not like the Iranians were ever going to give the planes back or anything.

Or could those have been Shia pilots pulling a Belenko? I'm guessing there were probably not a lot of them in the Iraqi AF back then.
Maybe they just wanted to get out of dodge? Or are you specifically wondering why Iran and not another country? There was only really Syria and Joradan...anywhere else and they'd have probably been at high risk of being shot down. I imagine the Iranian direction was perhaps the least dangerous?
Alba gu' brath