Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread

Started by JasonPratt, September 17, 2018, 05:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

2.1.) Roman Consul Plautius Proposes AzTank's Statesman AemiMac as the new Censor.

2.2.) All Players vote for him (per prior Consul contract this turn).

2.3.) Furius ceases to be Censor.

2.4.) AemiMac now Censor, adds +5 Inf, up to 22. Conservative Faction total now 43.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

3.1.) AemiMac takes over Presiding Magistrate post from Roman Consul Flam temporarily.

3.2.) Per prior Contract, AzTank cannot Prosecute the Minor and Major suspicions of any senators of Players who voted for him, which is everyone.

3.3.) All current suspicions deleted (except on despoiled Provinces, which count elsewhere next turn).

3.4.) AemiMac hands PM duties back over to Roman Consul Plautius.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

4.1.) AzTank chooses a Province to be given to his senator Furius to Govern. (Furius is the only senator he has who is eligible.)

This can be the Developed Province of Gallia Cisalpina, or one of the Undeveloped Hispanias.

Per the plan, Furius won't be responsible for defending anything (this Turn at least). Cisalpine Gaul will obviously generate more income for you if you decide to despoil it. Despoiling the Hispanias in their Undeveloped state will be naturally less profitable, and will reduce the chances of them being Developed each Turn. (Your Governor doesn't get to keep local taxes or state income in any case.)

I'll let AzTank know his choice is up.

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JasonPratt

I should qualify before I continue, that I double-checked the rules and a senator CAN be Governor of any number of Provinces! (The Living Rules don't talk about this a lot -- only as as an aside to other topics -- but I did put it into the flowchart rule compilation.)

He must however be living on at least one of them, and not in Rome. Relatedly, he can only add his Mil Skill to help the Province he is currently living in. By the same token he can evacuate a Province under attack to a different Province under his administration, but not back to Rome!

The rules are unclear (to say the least) about how this works exactly, but logically a Player would declare at the start of the Combat Phase which Province his multi-Gov senator would be staying in during Combat.

I'll proceed along, with a post hoc provision for AzTank to allow Terentius, who is already Governing Sicilia, to retroactively add Cisalpine Gaul to his administration rather than send out Furius.

NOTE HOWEVER! -- a Player cannot legally shuffle Provinces among his Governors. The Proposal would be retroactively altered for Terrance to be voted as Governor of Gaul, because I didn't recall the rule and AzTank seemed not to have any options other than Furius for Governor.

This distinction can be important for two reasons.

First, a Player might very much not want so many of his senators out of Rome, because they also reduce his voting power during the Senate Phase! (Though not his Faction's overall Influence.) By the same token, it is ENTIRELY LEGAL for political gamesmanship to elect someone (else's) multiple senators as Governors to nuke that Player's voting power! -- the only exception (aside from the usual Major Office exceptions) being that a senator who has just returned to Rome from being a Governor (his term having expired at the end of the Income Phase), cannot be forced to go out again this Turn (although his Player can still voluntarily agree to accept the vote even if he himself didn't vote for it).

Second, a Player might want more than one of his senators -- or might want one particular senator! -- to benefit from collecting Spoils and/or to benefit from Influence gains by Developing Provinces. (This can be especially important for Expansionist Faction Players.)

JasonPratt

4.0.) final Mandatory Business, Governors.

4.1.1.) AzTank chooses Gallia Cisalpina for his request, and Furius to be Proposed.

(Note that because I forgot the rule for multiple Province Governance, Larry will be allowed to retroactively request Terentius be Proposed as the Governor of CisGaul instead, at his discretion, so long as Larry does this before the Revenue Phase next Turn. See prior post for details, and for pros/cons in doing things various ways.)

4.1.2.) Roman Consul Plautius Proposes Furius (or retroactively Terentius perhaps) as Governor of CisAlpine Gaul.

4.1.3.) All Contracted Players vote in agreement with this.

4.1.4.) Sulpicius is Recalled automatically from Governing CisGaul, and returns to the Roman Forum (where he hangs out smirking at how rich he is, as usual. ;) )

4.1.5.) Furius (unless retroactively Terentius) departs Rome for CisGaul. (If Terrence retroactively, then AzTank can choose which Province he will base in.) Voting power drops by 3 Or and 2 knights to 6. (Unless Ter retro.)

4.1.6.) Province card is given to the new Governor, and the term set to 3.

JasonPratt

The Frog can now ask for one of his senators, INCLUDING ACILIUS, to be Proposed as the Governor of one of the Hispanias of his choice.

JasonPratt

4.2.1.) The Frog chooses to ask for Acilius (who is already a Governor) to also be given administration over Hispania Citerior (since it has slightly better Spoil opportunities).

4.2.2.) Roman Consul Plautius Proposes Acilius be given the first Governorship of Hispania Citerior.

4.2.3.) The Contracted Players vote for it, and pass the Proposal with their majority.

4.2.4.) Acilius gains the card for this Province. The term is set to 3. Presumably he does not immediately go lend his military logistic skill to its defense, since it's under attack and he has the option to continue basing in Sardina and/or Corsica. ;)

JasonPratt

Malize can now ask for one of his senators to be assigned to Govern Hispania Ulterior (the remaining Province).

This is the old pre-Senate snapshot, and doesn't show Fabius Maximus as the Field Consul (or a few other updates). He's the only invalid option; any one of the others can go. (I would take an updated snapshot, but I'm uploading a video for demonstrating Plane Mechanic Simulator and I don't want to risk crashing the upload. This should be sufficient.  O:-) )

Remember, whomever you send out, you'll be reducing your voting power by his absence! Relatedly, Cato can't function as a Tribune if he's out Governing a Province.

malize

I'd send Aurelius...unless it will impact his incomes (but I'm also guessing I could shift those still during this turn if it does?)

JasonPratt

Concession connections stay with senators wherever they go, so Aurelius will be fine.

In fact, you yourself had to demonstrate this rule on the turn you joined the game, because right after you gave one of your senators his first Concession (...I'll have to check, but it might have been Aurelius!) he got randomly captured by the Latin Era Barbarian Raid historical event! But his Concession helped generate a little ongoing cash for him personally to help buy back his ransom sooner rather than later.

In that case, the Concession (and his normal income) couldn't be gathered to the Faction Treasury, although you could distribute other income to his personal Treasury to help him pay off sooner. But Concessions function normally otherwise. We've had at least one Commander with a Concession, who had to stay out as Proconsul for a turn or two, and I made sure to check that it was legal for him to continue sending income back to his Faction (I think it was Tripoli's Militarists) and distributions back to him. It'll be the same for Governors.

Now, if your Governor rebels (as the Prime rebel or in support of another one of your senators leading a rebellion), then your accounting changes somewhat. I'd have to check if Concessions stay with rebels, since generally they represent locally developed income in and around Rome itself. The rules about your distribution options would shift, too.

Anyway, I'm about to pass out tonight, so I'll get back to processing tomorrow.

Meanwhile! -- speaking of Concessions, there are actually two respawned Tax Farmings to be handed out, not one. So we'll have three Concessions to vote on, not only two! I don't think Erax's Contract noticed the other Tax Farmer.

Concessions aren't mandatory to parcel out, so we don't necessarily have to do that this Turn. But neither is there anything preventing Erax (controlling the PM) or someone else (by Tribune play) making a Proposal this Turn, in the middle of the Contract procession, for distributing that other Tax Farm to a senator. It would have to be voted on normally, of course; but it wouldn't break the Contract.

Erax

Can we leave a concession on the table to be assigned next turn? I think we've divided everything up rather well.

JasonPratt

Yep, Concession assignment is optional business, not Mandatory. Not a problem.

Back from church and proceeding on!

4.3.1.) Malize now asks for Aurelius to be sent to Govern the Hispania Ulterior.

4.3.2.) Roman Consul Plautius Proposes Aurelius be sent to HispUlt as its Governor.

4.3.3.) All Contracted Players vote a majority in favor.

4.3.4.) Aurelius receives the Province card, setting the term to 3, and thus departing Rome.

4.3.5.) Populist vote tally goes down 3 Ora, 2 Knights, and 4 Pop, from 37 to 28, as Aurelius departs.

JasonPratt

That finishes Mandatory Business.

Next up, Erax didn't specify in the Contract details which of his senators he would Propose to get the Land Commissioner Concession.

So, Erax? Flaminius or Plautius? Either one would be valid.

Meanwhile, the same question is coming up for AzTank regarding which senator he wants Proposed to receive a Tax Farming Concessions. Here's the current snapshot as a reminder (though remember, due to my forgetting the option, you can retroactively ask for Terentius to also be Governor of CisGaul instead of Furius, if you want Fury and his votes back in Rome):

ArizonaTank

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.