IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad Discussion

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 28, 2013, 06:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

I don't know if I've missed something along the road. My daughters boyfriend was playing IL2 Battle of Moscow/Stalingrad quite happily last week and at the weekend, I bought the Spitfire VB through the Steam Store as it was mentioned it was DLC available for those items.

I came back today from my daughters graduation to see this message from Steam.

Anyone got any knowledge of this before I go looking at what else is around?
Alba gu' brath

Skoop

I bet you didn't heed the warning over the past month about linking your account to steam.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Destraex

It's still in my steam library. My key was converted over from the other client originally to steam.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MengJiao

Moonraker again (looking for a ship I thought I put into a mission file):

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 17, 2018, 02:49:13 PM
I don't know if I've missed something along the road. My daughters boyfriend was playing IL2 Battle of Moscow/Stalingrad quite happily last week and at the weekend, I bought the Spitfire VB through the Steam Store as it was mentioned it was DLC available for those items.

I came back today from my daughters graduation to see this message from Steam.

Anyone got any knowledge of this before I go looking at what else is around?

If you are still looking :

https://il2sturmovik.com/m/SteamAndIL2AccountGuide.pdf

JudgeDredd

Thanks Pete.

It seems my keys have been revoked by Steam at the request of 1C because I bought from Kinguin. I have also paid £30 for DLC (3 additional aircraft) through Steam which I guess I've lost as their refund policy doesn't apply to DLC (or some wording along those lines)

I'm in discussion with Kinguin. If I get a refund, I'll use the money for DCS content. If I don't  :hug:
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I've been thinking about it - and the balls on 1C going to Steam and saying "These keys weren't bought from our select few resellers and so I want you to revoke them" - and pretty galling that Steam went "Ok".

I didn't buy from Kinguin with my eyes shut...however, I was of the impression that whilst not strictly legal, it's not illegal either. I could argue (perhaps unsuccessfully) that they behaved more illegally than I did.

Manufacturers that produce products including computer, telecom, and technology equipment very often sell those products through distributors. Most distribution agreements require the distributor to resell the products strictly to end users. However, some distributors choose to resell those products to other resellers. In the late 1980s, manufacturers labeled the resold products as "grey market".

There is nothing illegal about buying "grey market" products. In fact, the US Supreme Court has upheld the idea that grey market products are legal for resale in the United States regardless of where they were produced or originally sold. The EU Supreme Court has similarly ruled that grey market products are legal for resale in the EU, provided that the equipment was originally sold by the manufacturer inside the EU.

Manufacturers created the term "grey market" in an effort to instill fear in customers that buying such equipment was somehow illegal in an effort to assure manufacturers that customers would only buy directly from them

Maybe JH can erm - correct me.

Anyway - I got my money back from Kinguin though I did lose £30 in DLC.
Alba gu' brath

Tuna

Bad thing is, Kinguin is still selling keys  :pullhair: .. I would think IL2 would send them a cease and desist instead of screwing players.

Dammit Carl!

RyanE

I have always wondered if the 3rd party Steam sellers were worth the risk and hassle.

Skoop

Man that sucks judge, that turned out far worse than what I that it was.

JudgeDredd

I'm not going to plead innocence here - though I don't think I'm guilty either and what they've done is pretty outrageous.

But - all said and done, I knew what I was doing when I bought through Kinguin. TBH, the worst I thought would happen was that I would not get support from 1C. I really, really did not think 1C and Steam would collude to remove the products. Afterall - 1C has my money. Regardless of how much Kinguin paid for those keys, 1C got the money for it (well...as long as they weren't stolen I suppose).

Anyway - upshot is Kinguin refunded me (though in store credit, which I'm going to refuse and ask for cash to be refunded - that's how I paid!). Steam has actually refunded the Spitfire VB I purchased on Sunday - so I got that £14 back. They are refusing to refund the other 2DLC, but I've wrote to them and basically accused them of colluding with 1C to steal my product. Whilst I acknowledge that 1C is saying there's something wrong with the key, Steam sold me the DLC and they are now trying to leave me with DLC that I cannot play because they removed my main games.

What's very sad about all this is 1C had a customer here that was willing to pump money into their game. I was literally on the verge of buying Battle of Kuban - I mean literally. They had already got £30 out of me for DLC. If we assume they got £20 of the £40 I paid for the BoS and BOM, then they had £50. I was then about to buy Kuban at £50 AND I would've been all over more of their DLC.

They've lost me. I knew after the shite horse that was Cliffs of Dover I shouldn't have gone near them - they left gamers holding that rotten baby - and against my better judgement I did.

They've lost me as a customer...and anyone around here that knows me knows that that could be a considerable loss of cash. I've spent over £600 on DCS!! And why have they lost out? Not because I got the game cheap - not really because they run sales themselves - but because I didn't buy from them or Steam.

GFY 1C  :bd:
Alba gu' brath