Wargames in Swedish book from 1839

Started by bayonetbrant, July 02, 2014, 05:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1195045/found-two-wargames-swedish-book-1839

QuoteOn pages 586-612 is a translation/version of Hellwigs Kriegsspiel under the name Helwigs Krigsspel (yes, with just one L). It seems much shorter than the German version. Still looks quite complex, and judging from other games in the book it is probably supposed to be a complete description of the (or a) game, but maybe not including all the rules of the original? There are no pictures of board or pieces, but some quite detailed descriptions how to construct them. Maybe there were more content on some plates not scanned by Google?

On pages 623- 636(?) is a version of Kriegsspiel (or rather the 1830 Swedish translation it seems). No idea how it compares to the German original. There are some drawings of how the different units should look, a few simple table, descriptions of some "kvadrater" ("squares") of different colors that I guess are the dice, but I have not read everything yet, just skimmed the rules.

There is also a sort of big war chess called Kungsspelet (translates to Kings Game or King's Game) (also with the alternative title Krigsspelet, meaning The Wargame (or Das Kriegsspiel, if you prefer)). It just looks like some mega-variant of chess with a military theme pasted on. I think there is some old British(?) game called King's Game, but I can't find that in the bgg database and don't know if this is a translation.

Belagerungs-Spiel is also included (as Belägringsspelet, pages 645-646) although it doesn't look much like a wargame at all despite the title (that translates to The Siege Game).

QuoteThis is especially interesting. However, it's highly unlikely that a game as complex as Hellwigs Kriegsspiel could be explained on just a few pages.

But I suspect that it's another game...
I can't read Swedish, can you look if the game is played on a board with
25 x 24 squares and can you compare this list of pieces with the pieces used in the game:

Infantry and Cavalry
1 Field Marshal
2 Generals
2 Colonels
2 Captains
2 Officers or Lieutenants of the Cavalry
2 Officers or Lieutenants of the Infantry
6 Cavalrymen or common Knights
8 Infantrymen or common Soldiers

Artillery
1 Officer or Artillery-Lieutenant
6 Artillerymen or Fire Mortars
4 Cannons
2 Howitzers or Mortars

Machines
4 Bridge Wagons with 16 Bridges or Pontoons
16 Tokens for Breast-Works
5 Tokens for indicating Fires
5 Tokens for abruption of Buildings
16 Win Tokens
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers