Main Menu

Recommendations?

Started by matt3916, July 02, 2018, 03:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matt3916

Looking at purchasing a few titles during the Steam sale.  Would appreciate comments (pro or con) from those who have playing the following:

Warlock 1 or 2 (or both)

Sovereignty:  Crown of Kings

Oriental Empires

Nefaro

I've not yet picked up Oriental Empires but here good things.  It looks much like Civ, so haven't been in a hurry.

Warlock 1 & 2 are a little Civ-like, but more focused on the warfare and specifically the fun fantasy units you use to conquer.  I quite liked the first one, and the 2nd is more of the same.  There's reportedly a great mod for #2 .. if you have all the content DLC for it (I need to fill mine out still).  Either way, they're just plain enjoyable and I didn't find them to have much learning curve.

Sovereignty has some cool stuff and really reminds me of old 70s/80s tabletop grand strategy games.  Those in which each fantasy nation has not only unique military units, but some extra background flavor included in the game mechanics.  Whereas the Warlock series is probably more approachable, including the Civ-like UI and graphics, Sorvereignty is more of an indie wargame.  Nice that it has a separate battle mode. 

From what I've gathered, Sovereignty has still been getting the occasional update.  Not sure where it is on the post-release updating situtation.  The Warlock series are both long finished in that regard, IIRC.   

Destraex

I played some sort of alpha for oriental empires way back when. It looked ok but with total war china coming at some point I am really on the fence. I do like the way tactical battles are part of the strategic map.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

jomni

I only played Oriental Empires. It's a good Civ-like game with interesting depiction of tactical battles.

MetalDog

Quote from: matt3916 on July 02, 2018, 03:50:40 PM
Looking at purchasing a few titles during the Steam sale.  Would appreciate comments (pro or con) from those who have playing the following:

Warlock 1 or 2 (or both)

Sovereignty:  Crown of Kings

Oriental Empires

I, too, have looked at Oriental Empires.  I know only the broadest strokes about the era and I do love me some Civ.  Alas, I have not purchased it yet.

Sovereignty has some really neat things I like.  Nefaro already mentioned nation specific units.  There are also nation specific victory conditions along with the usual buffs and debuffs associated with a fantasy game.  I've put in 30+ hours in the last couple weeks and have really enjoyed it.  Although, now, it's getting to be a bit of a slog.  The map is pretty big and everyone hates me = lots of war.

Again I will refer back to Nefaro's comments when it comes to the last game, Warlock.  If you like light city building and lots of fighting/exploring/spells/monsters, you'll dig Warlock.  I have almost 800 hours in it, so I might be a bit biased. ;)  I was thoroughly unimpressed with Warlock 2, but that is because the map is separate lands, connected by portals rather than in 1 where it is a world sized map with portals to various underworlds.  The one thing 2 has that I wished 1 had is the focused spell list.  In 2, you can direct your spell research any way you wish.  In 1, you get 5 choices of spells to research.  Once you research the spell you chose, the space you chose it from has the next random spell.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

HoodedHorseJoe

I haven't played Sovereignty much so I defer to the opinions of those who have played it, but I wouldn't expect much more in terms of post-release support. Maybe the odd critical fix but I suspect the team has been moved on to other things, I'm not sure the game sold that well.

Warlock 1 & 2 are fun though - I love how they're essentially Civ games but it's less about populating and conquering the world and more about the fantasy - you're just as likely to send your armies on quests through portals to other worlds and fight monsters then to fight the other nations.

I'm not sure which one I'd suggest - Warlock 2 took the 'other worlds' concept to a bit of an extreme, and lacks the terrestrial feel that Warolock 1 has, but Warlock 1's problem was that it was a little too much like Civ at times and that got in the way of the more experimental mechanics. If they're both going cheap though, I'd happily recommend nabbing them both.

Not got any experience on Oriental Empires I'm afraid.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Wolfe1759

I'd highly recommend Warlock 2 + all the DLC + the Renaissance mod.

P.S. the sandbox mode of Warlock 2 is set on Ardania (i.e. one big world map rather than shards you portal between) just like Warlock 1.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Gusington

What does the Renaissance mod do for Warlock 2?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Wolfe1759

From the Steam Workshop page (as the author describes it better than I can) :

DESCRIPTION

THE NEXT BEST THING TO WARLOCK 3!

A Renaissance has come to the lands of Ardania! New spells, artifacts, lords and Great Mages have been spotted throughout the land, as a Sylvan Order arises to protect Ardania from the evil Dremers and greedy Infernals. Build vast cities, cast game-changing spells, and take your game to all new 4X fantasy heights!

This extensive mod offers loads of professional content, plus several game fixes and highly-requested improvements. It really is the next best thing to Warlock 3!

Current version: 8.4.0

HIGHLIGHTS

» NEW RACE: Sylvan Order
» NEW RACE: Infernals
» NEW RACE: Dremers
» 100+ new units
» 100+ new buildings
» 40+ new Great Mage starter perks
» 31 new lords
» 25 new spells
» 21 new Great Mages
» 16 new crafting elements
» 15 new artifacts
» 15 new quest events
» 100+ new unit abilities
» 100+ new unit perks
» Epic perks
» Empire-wide revolutions ~ turn 100
» Major AI improvements
» Several game fixes, including no auto-built farms, fixed upgrade costs, Tal Kalessil fixes, Helia immunity fix and more!
» All-new artwork for new units, perks, mages, lords, buildings, abilities and artifacts

NEW in 8.0 - 8.3: ARDANIAN ALLIANCES

» 6 NEW buildings
» 5 NEW lords
» 4 NEW units
» 2 NEW spells
» 1 NEW Great Mage
» Allied Unit improvements
» Free Town improvements
» Improved artwork for Great Mages

and the » Complete Mod Notes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CnCuB4VWroJP-qqZx2dGoE_YiXabClMOon5Tt1-Q9m4/
take you to a 40+ page document detailing all of the changes.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

bbmike

^Yep. Don't play Warlock 2 without it.  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

Wow, thanks guys. I thought that the mod would add 'Renaissance' type tech to Warlock 2 and it looks like it does, to an extent...*peruses Steam*

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bbmike

I'm surprised Bob hasn't popped 'round to add a word about pumpkins.  :-"
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

FWIW Warlock 2 is 4.99 on Steam right now.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Gusington

Bought Warlock 2 and 17.00 of DLC just to get that Renaissance mod...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MC

Quote from: Gusington on July 03, 2018, 06:37:02 PM
Bought Warlock 2 and 17.00 of DLC just to get that Renaissance mod...

Ah, well if isn't the Renaissance Man.  :)