Spring Cleaning the Collection

Started by Bison, March 20, 2017, 08:40:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Well I'm getting ready to cull some chaff out of my collection.  Mostly I'm going to be ditching several expansion boxes, because they are empty or only contain an ill suited inserts.  I pains me to get rid of them but its time.  The contents can be fit into the original box.  It's not a lot.

The really painful part is I need to make a decision on Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader.  I have them mostly out of nostalgia, but to be honest the games are in rough shape.  The boxes are heavily damaged and some of the corners are held together with duct tape.  A number of the counters are missing and replaced with homemade ones.  I think I'm just going to toss them in the garbage, but it seems like blasphemy. 

I've also put a few games on the block to move to a new home.  Lock 'N Load Band of Heroes and MMP's South Mountain for sure.  I wanted to like the games, but I don't.  LNL's rulebook is an absolute nightmare to read and figure out the game and I just don't like MMP RSS gameplay.  There are a few others but I'm going to vendor those at goodwill.  Not sure what to do with these two yet. 

No point here just a collection of random thoughts as I go through the process.

mirth

Quote from: Bison on March 20, 2017, 08:40:33 AM
The really painful part is I need to make a decision on Panzer Blitz and Panzer Leader.  I have them mostly out of nostalgia, but to be honest the games are in rough shape.  The boxes are heavily damaged and some of the corners are held together with duct tape.  A number of the counters are missing and replaced with homemade ones.  I think I'm just going to toss them in the garbage, but it seems like blasphemy. 

You can't just through them in the trash!  :o At least take them to Goodwill or something.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bison

Dropping them off at the DAV or Goodwill will most likely be what I'll do with several games including those two.  I consider it the gaming butterfly effect.  Maybe just maybe it'll create a disturbance in the air that generates a new gamer or two. 

Bison

I'd like to give or trade LNL and South Mountain to someone, but I think I might just donate those two too.

mirth

Too bad South Mountain wasn't your thing. It's a beautiful looking game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Bison

Yeah.  I really wanted to like it too, but alas the rules are a mess and the order system is a pain in the ass.

bayonetbrant

there's a few sites online that'll take really beat up copies of games and strip them for parts for people who are looking for that 1 random mapboard to replace the one that the kids accidentally spilled juice on
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Pinetree

Quote from: Bison on March 20, 2017, 09:02:09 AM
Yeah.  I really wanted to like it too, but alas the rules are a mess and the order system is a pain in the ass.
Have you tried the LoB rules? They're compatible with RSS.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

GJK

Was thinking the same thing that Pinetree was.  Try it with LoB rules (http://www.gamersarchive.net/thegamers/archive/rss.htm).  RSS had some cool things but it's very fiddly.  Dean has that cleaned up now with LoB.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

egg_salad

A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Bison

I'd actually considered None but Heroes when I picked up South Mountain, but the actual MMP guys convinced me that South Mountain was a better intro game.  /sigh/ So much for public relations.

mirth

I don't see South Mountain as an intro game.

Bison

In terms of units on the map, it has the smallest foot print. The rational is that fewer units, fewer orders and movement, etc...so its a gentler introduction into the system.  Not an intro game as in something for new gamers to pick up and play.

GJK

Someone at MMP suggested South Mountain?  When LoB was released and S. Mountain is an RSS game?  Nah, somebody misled you.  The *only* advantage that I see to going with S. Mountain instead is that you can get it for dirt cheap and it's easily obtainable which is probably the reason why it was suggested to you.

NBH has the "Cornfield" scenario which is a small section of one map with few units and orders are pre-set so I don't know how much of an easier intro to the system there is than that.  S. Mountain though has a single map and the scenario is very interesting- a precursor to the Antietam battle with Hill getting into a tussle with the "Iron" brigade and "Fighting Joe" Hooker.  It makes for an interesting situation to game but you have to enjoy the game system that you use to do that gaming with of course and if RSS/LoB isn't it for you, then it's not going to be much fun for you.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer

Bison

Yeah that makes sense too GJK.  Anyway the point is I don't really like the games mechanics too much.  I think the order system is cool in principle and would really shine in a multi-player setting, but otherwise it just becomes a lot of bookkeeping in my opinion.