Total War: THREE KINGDOMS In-Engine Trailer - Reveals plans for non-historical c

Started by Destraex, June 07, 2018, 06:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

This guy has no respect for total war. 2 week siege... total war battle, what can you do has to be 20mins, sorry but we do not actually introduce or innovate for realistic or new mechanics to enable this. Refers to Historical half moo.n spectacle geeks mode? He obviously regards the historical mode as both secondary and for the boring geek types. Not impressed at all and not impressed the next historical total war had been turned into a fantasy setting with no new or innovative battle mechanics or modes. There are a tonne of things I can think of to make the historical series more realistic and interesting. But they seem to want to stagnate and play with arty fatty features like stats and hero's, magic and art styles than real mechanics. Get the marketing department out of the dev cycle!!!!!!!!
History should be the primary goal of the historical wargame everybody was waiting for THAT DID NOT WANT to play warhammer fantasy. Now we essentially have warhammer fantasy inserted into a historical setting. Good work CA. You still are not really delivering on the promised historical game. You are no longer innovating. You are grabbing money with stagnated old battle mechanics and map systems. Warscape sux anyways except in tech demo situations for your marketing where close up shots are virtually the only thing shown.

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Gusington

I would buy Taiping Rebellion: Total War so fast it would snap your neck.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2018, 09:00:23 AM
I would buy Taiping Rebellion: Total War so fast it would snap your neck.

It would be like fall of the Samurai times 100.  Boom!

Gusington

YES.

Yes it would.

Boxer Rebellion Total War is the only similar title I would buy quicker.

[cue a post from someone, anyone, telling me that a Shogun 2 FotS mod is in the works for exactly that]

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Philippe

It's been a while since I looked at the Boxer Rebellion, but my hazy recollection is that most of the fights were pretty lopsided. 

Taiping Rebellion is different kettle of fish.  Lots of victories and defeats for all parties concerned.  Big armies, some with similar technology, some asymetrical. And you could make an entire game about the exploits of the Ever Victorious Army. And I think the Yellow River changed its course in the middle of the war.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Gusington

Is or has there ever been a PC game dealing with the Boxer Rebellion directly or indirectly? I don't recall any even mentioning it.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on June 15, 2018, 10:14:54 PM
Is or has there ever been a PC game dealing with the Boxer Rebellion directly or indirectly? I don't recall any even mentioning it.

Age of Rifles. 

Best game ever.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: Philippe on June 15, 2018, 09:40:42 PM
It's been a while since I looked at the Boxer Rebellion, but my hazy recollection is that most of the fights were pretty lopsided. 

Taiping Rebellion is different kettle of fish.  Lots of victories and defeats for all parties concerned.  Big armies, some with similar technology, some asymetrical. And you could make an entire game about the exploits of the Ever Victorious Army. And I think the Yellow River changed its course in the middle of the war.

Yep, a mega-nightmare perfect for Total War Treatment.  and you get Chinese Gordon!  (Or somebody does)  Before he went to Khartoum of course.

Gusington

^There was an actual mod for Napoleon TW on the Sudan campaign...I played it years ago. Not sure if it's still available anywhere.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

MengJiao

Quote from: Gusington on June 17, 2018, 06:32:06 PM
^There was an actual mod for Napoleon TW on the Sudan campaign...I played it years ago. Not sure if it's still available anywhere.

I played a generic Mahdi in a miniatures extravaganza once long ago.  It was pretty much an excuse to do the 6000 pounds drops to 40 Rupee thing, but I wasn't having that and I instructed my loyal followers to  forget the long-range musketry and do a reverse-slope concealed flexible defense.  I think I won despite almost getting captured twice in figurine form in my Bungalow while trying to unscrew or secure a box of Gantling Guns with a pre-agricultural mattock or something. 

jomni

Spy options are very elaborate. It becomes a significant way to play the game and not just an afterthought. I like the sound of it. Though not revolutionary if you played the "human resource management" games from Koei.  ;D

W8taminute

Thank you for that video.  They are really lifting the look and feel directly from the Koei games.  The strategic map as well as the none real time battle screens look very much like RTK 13. 

I remember buying the hype hook line and sinker for Total War Brittania (sp?) and ten days after purchase suffering from buyers remorse because it looked so pretty and shiny but ended up being a hollow game.  On top of that and CA's scandal of installing spyware to monitor the precise time players go to the bathroom turned me Totally off to games from this company. 

My statement may lack detail to further explain my opinion but IDC.  In my heart I know I'll never buy from this company again.  I hope that my voice will help others to not be fooled as I was. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Philippe

I just got around to watching the trailers for the first time.

If you're a fan of wuxia sword and sandal soap operas, the lack of historicity and/or realism isn't too dreadful. 

The more historical Total War games aren't that realistic anyways, and I haven't seen anyone mounting a campaign to do away with the impossibly ubiquitous fire arrows. 

I've been watching several HEMA fight camp videos focused on what happens when teams armed with swords go up against teams armed with spears.  The spear teams tend to dominate rather than just win, especially when they aren't equipped with shields (which for the most part just get in the way). 

And we won't talk about what would happen in reality if a cavalry unit charged a spear-armed unit head on.

My favorite Chinese weapon was the trebuchet and I love it because it used a clumsy-looking team of men instead of the counterweight we're familiar with from medieval European warfare.  But sadly enough, the game seems to be using the visually boring (and more effective) European version (which was probably invented by someone in the Middle East).  If memory serves, the Mongols (a thousand years after the Han dynasty) weren't impressed with Chinese siege-craft and introduced the counter-weight powered weapon that they had picked up in their western conquests.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.