Gaming Home Invasions?

Started by Jarhead0331, February 12, 2018, 12:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Not sure how I feel about this one...doesn't looks like it incentivizes murder, but it certainly offers it as a path toward victory.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/784050/Filthy_Hands/

Its a rhetorical question, but where in gaming is the line drawn between what is entertainment, art and expression on the one hand, and material with no redeeming value on the other?

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Father Ted

Interesting point...I guess it's the home invasion aspect which bothers you?  I mean there are any number of games out there which encourage the player to murder in pursuit of victory.  Also, this scenario is a staple of many TV and film dramas, so as entertainment, it's pretty mainstream.

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to violence in entertainment, but I don't find this concept worrisome.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Father Ted on February 12, 2018, 05:15:05 PM
Interesting point...I guess it's the home invasion aspect which bothers you?  I mean there are any number of games out there which encourage the player to murder in pursuit of victory.  Also, this scenario is a staple of many TV and film dramas, so as entertainment, it's pretty mainstream.

I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to violence in entertainment, but I don't find this concept worrisome.

Well...yes. This is a game where the player can assume the role of a "brutal home invader" who breaks into the home of an unsuspecting family in order to steal and/or kill them. Its one thing to make a movie about this, but to make a game where the player can enact this role and is rewarded for performing it well just strikes me as a bit unsavory.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

I'm not opposed to this type of game being made. I am totally disinterested in playing games like this.

There was some console game 10-15 years ago that put people in the position of having to commit brutal murders to save themselves. It was highly rated for game play if questioned for subject matter. I don't recall the name off the top of my head, but I never saw myself playing or enjoying that style of game.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Staggerwing

Didn't one of those more recent Call of Duty- style games feature a scenario where you played a terrorist who had to massacre a bunch of civilians at an airport? I think the bar has been gradually lowering for a while now.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

-budd-

Too far down the slippery slope for me, not interested in playing it. I do wonder how far is too far these days, the lines are blurry, is there anything off limits?
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

mirth

I dunno about the bar lowering. It's been low. These types of games have been around for a while. Now they just look like AAA titles.

Jarhead0331

This one hardly looks like a AAA title...the game you're referring to I believe is Manhunt. Yes, the player has to kill people, but the victims were criminal gang members, so its hard to compare that with this. I think GTA would be a better example since the player can engage in wanton murder if he or she so desires, although there typically is no major reward or incentive to do so.

In any event...I'm not suggesting that games like this shouldn't exist, I'm just questioning whether they should actually be made in the first place. Sort of like how I feel about football players kneeling during the National Anthem. I don't question their inherent right to do it, I just question whether they should do it all...like, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Staggerwing on February 12, 2018, 07:11:05 PM
Didn't one of those more recent Call of Duty- style games feature a scenario where you played a terrorist who had to massacre a bunch of civilians at an airport? I think the bar has been gradually lowering for a while now.

The player wasn't a terrorist. The character is undercover infiltrating a terrorist organization and in the sequence, the player is not forced to pull the trigger.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Staggerwing

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2018, 08:43:46 PMI don't question their inherent right to do it, I just question whether they should do it all...like, just because you can do something doesn't mean that you should.

Kind of like breeding dinosaurs from fossilized DNA.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

FarAway Sooner

My sense is that it's not real healthy, but if other people want to do it, I'm not in a position to stop them (aside from maybe frowning a little when they tell me what they do for a living). 

I guess how you feel about this versus Deer Hunter games really depends on how you feel about human beings versus deer.  Otherwise, it's pretty similar.

glen55

Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Michael Dorosh

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 12, 2018, 08:43:46 PM
I'm not suggesting that games like this shouldn't exist, I'm just questioning whether they should actually be made

So basically you're in favour of either immaculate conception or spontaneous combustion.