Android strat games with iOS and/or PC cross-platform mp?

Started by JasonPratt, March 21, 2018, 12:23:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

My brother is who, long ago as kids, got me into wargames and strategy games more generally. 20 years of marriage and family has hampered our ability to play with and against each other, and he kind of flatly refuses to get a PC for that purpose (nor to convert the family PC for that purpose. He has his reasons, mostly wifely. ;) )

Consequently, while he has Android tablets and phone on which he COULD play games, and occasionally DOES, we don't have a clear idea what strategy games can be played cross-platform.

The triumphant adaptation of TWILIGHT STRUGGLE is of course a cross-platform game that he could play with me on my PC. ...I think. I'm not totally sure if the Android version is cross-platform mp or not. If it's cross-plat between those platforms however, then aside from the question of whether he would appreciate the topic it tics important qualifier boxes:

1.) turn-based not real-time;

2.) the turns must be asynch, because neither of us knows for sure when the other will be able to play;

3.) not chess (he doesn't care for chess ;) ).

Real-world strategy since the industrial revolution would be very much a plus. Combat strategy would be very much a plus. (Non-combat strategy would be easier in family politics, so to speak ;) , but I don't think he'd care for a game of Carcassone or Le Havre or Agricola or Stone Age etc.)

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

Come to think of it, I do have an Android emulator, although I think I should update it by now.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

True, but trust me when I say that money isn't an object: he's a banking chief VP. He's entirely capable of buying even more of an awesome computer as mine every year if he wanted to, purely for playing games. He just chooses to spend the money elsewhere (and on things that get less dagger-eye from Ishy. ;) )

$3 is not a problem. What would be a problem, is the evident lack of mp in those games.

AlexBriggs

Thanks for sharing! i'll try it for sure
If you are looking for where to download new games & premium apps, SPAM is the place for you!  All is free, check it out! :D

W8taminute

If you're looking for a fairly good strategy game for Android check out Shogun's Empire: Hex Commander

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.HomeNetGames.Shogun&hl=en_US&gl=US

It's kind of like Shogun Total War only the tactical battles are turn based, not realtime.  I've been playing this on the side for the past few days and I really like it. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Tripoli

Here's a possible list of good Android games.  Not sure of the multiplayer aspect of all of them, but some of them, like John Tiller's Civil War Battles, definitely have Multiplayer, at least in their windows versions (although I don't know about Windows-to-Android games, or what the 4.03 patch does IRT the Android version)
 https://www.pockettactics.com/best-mobile-war-games
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Sigwolf

As far as I know, there has never been Windows to Android multiplayer capability in the Tiller games.  I also don't believe WDS has any intention of updating the Android versions as they have with the desktop. ,

That said,  they're still pretty awesome games in their present state, so still easy to recommend.  Only caveat is that they are much better suited to an Android tablet rather than a phone due to the smaller UI elements.

JasonPratt

Thanks, not sure my brother has an Android tablet -- I know they exist in his house (via Kindle), but not that he uses one. He would like the WDS/HPS/iller games for sure!

Right now, he has managed to get his daughters into Fantasy Football, leading to some hilarious moments at the dinner table for the Microniece's birthday party Sunday! (e.g. all phones were confiscated except for an emergency phone Bro managed to keep hidden and would bring out to check the running games with my nieces while the wife-mom was occupied momentarily elsewhere!)

It's too bad I can't figure out how to get them into the 18xx games, which work reasonably well on phone though a little constricted. Helps if you know the game already on a larger screen.

W8taminute

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 23, 2023, 03:23:40 PM...

It's too bad I can't figure out how to get them into the 18xx games, which work reasonably well on phone though a little constricted. Helps if you know the game already on a larger screen.

Ah, but the key is not to crack the egg but to convince it to aspire to omlettehood.  :smiley:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk