NAVAL ACTION to release within 30 days!!! YES!

Started by Destraex, May 28, 2019, 04:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

Finally after many years they are ready. Ready to launch. I am looking forward to this.
Thought after all these years this news needed it's own thread.

"Hello Captains

We are undergoing finalization of the last couple of patches and notices and are doing the stress testing of the game infrastructure to support a smooth launch of the game.

This means that release day is going to happen in June 2019 within 30 days from today.

This all will not happen without you. Thank you each and everyone for support, positive feedback and criticism that is making the game better and better every day.

More information will follow. "
https://forum.game-labs.net/topic/29611-naval-action-launch-information-june-2019/?fbclid=IwAR39GfWnx7DP-yOeQrfQ3YpByUDMiBEtcKGR_uaeyaI6v0LDgFP1bdyu6bA
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Yskonyn

How have people responded to the state of the game lately?
Is it still going to be an Naval Sim with RPG and management elements?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

Not sure. I am logged in now and there are certainly people whinging. Like you hear about star citizen...
I am trying to scrape together some money by doing trading missions to man a larger ship and have a battle.
I think this release will be controversial like star citizen. Early Access that goes on too long seems to develop a lot of unhappy people that don't know what "early access" means. You roll with the punches or wait until release. I think it hurts a game a lot to have early access this long.

mikeck

I'll be as honest as I can. I've been on this forum for years and I don't think I've ever bothered to post about NOT liking a game. I just don't bother to crap on someone else's enjoyment (except Tiller games: my GOD MAN!! Update the god***** graphics). So this is a first

I've had over 500 hours in it since 2016. I absolutely LOVE the naval battles. I have my collection of ships; small frigates like Pandora, 12lb, 18lb and  larger 24lb  Frigates, 4th rate 2-deckers, and 3rd rate Bellona. I LOVE taking one out for a spin, adding another frigate into the fleet and attacking enemy ships. I play PvE only. The battles are amazing! Truly great. Great graphics, damage effects, the speed is right and FINALLY someone makes a 18lb cannon going off LOOK like an 18lbs cannon and not cotton ball at the end of one. Night battles are really gorgeous. So, if all you want to do is grab a ship, fight a battle or two and enjoy the experience, I recommend it hands down. No reservations

But that's where it stops. I'm lucky in that I've had ships for awile. If I had to grind to get ships?? Ugh. There is trading. You can trade and make $$ or gather supplies, build a warehouse and dock and build your own ships. There are missions you can go on as well. BUT, I have no idea why you would want to. Trading sucks because they can't ever seem to get the economy working. It's insa expensive to build the buildings you need to construct ships and even snore expensive and time consuming to hunt down materials. It's easier to just buy one. So really, not much on the trading front.

Make money on missions? Sure. Used to be Able to set up a fleet battle (with AI ships as allies) or single battles, sail out to it, fight and make $$$ or capture the ship. Now though, the missions are a giant pain. "Sail around the Bahamas and kill 9 Cerberus frigates" wow.....does that sound like the kind of mission an 18th century frigate Captain would get? Let alone the time it takes to find them AND which ones your suppose to get. Yes, there are "go here and hunt missions" but you need to find them. Home port offers them but only for 6th rates and below and it's always a specific ship I'm to attack.

My problem isn't so much the structure of missions but their larger place in the game. I'm
Playing as Britain and we are at war with everyone. A system where I am told to patrol and I can bring back prizes would Make sense. BUT, you don't get much $$$ for prizes and a lot of NPC ships can't be captured in PvP. PvE you can but don't get much.

Basically, the game has never known what it wants to be. You end up just sailing around attacking random enemy ships, maybe taking them or cargo, selling and repeating. There is NO sense a larger war is on or I have a place in it. The PvP server is a collection of clans that run things. New single player has NO chance since the big fish pounce right away (usual in open world MP which is why I don't play Elite in MP)

So definitely buy it if you want to have 18th century naval battles. There is NOTHING out there better. Maybe fork over some cash for a DLC ship or two. Even if you don't like the ship, you can order one once a day and sell it. Eventually you will collect enough to get what you want

But if you are expecting X4 or Elite on the high seas, don't bother. There is just no reason to care about who is at war with whom since we all are, no reason to trade b/c the economy and soooo time consuming and absolutely no feelings of immersion in a real world over-arching naval war. All that stuff if backdrops for single naval battles

All that said, I don't regret buying and I don't regret the DLC ships I bought. I love it for what it is to me: a simulator of 18th century naval battles. But it ain't a war or trade simulator
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Destraex

All I want is naval battles so I am happy with that. I do have some trader friends who seem to love going back and forth with goods. But I don't understand it. Now that thr sextant perk puts a little icon with your exact position on the map whats the point. I like using a protractor and calculating knots and distance etc.

I have no complaints as I have not played for so long that its going to take a long time to discover whats what.

I hope they keep developing it just for the historical ships.

Skoop

This game as an X4 at sea in the 18th/19th century would have really rocked, especially if it was focused on the SP like X4.  I'd love to see a historical battle option added to the game in SP where you pick any ship and reenact famous engagements from the period.  It would really show case the best things, like sailing and combat. 

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on May 28, 2019, 04:31:25 PM
I'll be as honest as I can. I've been on this forum for years and I don't think I've ever bothered to post about NOT liking a game. I just don't bother to crap on someone else's enjoyment (except Tiller games: my GOD MAN!! Update the god***** graphics). So this is a first

I agree.  I had fun in the alpha and the beta, but I don't need the grid.  Maybe another okay circa 1800 ship battle simulator (maybe one that lets ships surrender?) will come out, but probably not while I'm still playing games.

mikeck

Quote from: Skoop on May 28, 2019, 05:49:54 PM
This game as an X4 at sea in the 18th/19th century would have really rocked, especially if it was focused on the SP like X4.  I'd love to see a historical battle option added to the game in SP where you pick any ship and reenact famous engagements from the period.  It would really show case the best things, like sailing and combat.

Yes! It would be amazing if you could re-enact famous battles! Even small engagements like  The USS constitution vs Java. A battle that could have gone the other way In the ships werent too mis-matched
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DennisS

I've had over 500 hours in it since 2016. I absolutely LOVE the naval battles. I have my collection of ships; small frigates like Pandora, 12lb, 18lb and  larger 24lb  Frigates, 4th rate 2-deckers, and 3rd rate Bellona. I LOVE taking one out for a spin, adding another frigate into the fleet and attacking enemy ships. I play PvE only. The battles are amazing! Truly great. Great graphics, damage effects, the speed is right and FINALLY someone makes a 18lb cannon going off LOOK like an 18lbs cannon and not cotton ball at the end of one. Night battles are really gorgeous. So, if all you want to do is grab a ship, fight a battle or two and enjoy the experience, I recommend it hands down. No reservations

But that's where it stops. I'm lucky in that I've had ships for awile. If I had to grind to get ships?? Ugh. There is trading. You can trade and make $$ or gather supplies, build a warehouse and dock and build your own ships. There are missions you can go on as well. BUT, I have no idea why you would want to. Trading sucks because they can't ever seem to get the economy working. It's insa expensive to build the buildings you need to construct ships and even snore expensive and time consuming to hunt down materials. It's easier to just buy one. So really, not much on the trading front.

Make money on missions? Sure. Used to be Able to set up a fleet battle (with AI ships as allies) or single battles, sail out to it, fight and make $$$ or capture the ship. Now though, the missions are a giant pain. "Sail around the Bahamas and kill 9 Cerberus frigates" wow.....does that sound like the kind of mission an 18th century frigate Captain would get? Let alone the time it takes to find them AND which ones your suppose to get. Yes, there are "go here and hunt missions" but you need to find them. Home port offers them but only for 6th rates and below and it's always a specific ship I'm to attack.

My problem isn't so much the structure of missions but their larger place in the game. I'm
Playing as Britain and we are at war with everyone. A system where I am told to patrol and I can bring back prizes would Make sense. BUT, you don't get much $$$ for prizes and a lot of NPC ships can't be captured in PvP. PvE you can but don't get much.

Basically, the game has never known what it wants to be. You end up just sailing around attacking random enemy ships, maybe taking them or cargo, selling and repeating. There is NO sense a larger war is on or I have a place in it. The PvP server is a collection of clans that run things. New single player has NO chance since the big fish pounce right away (usual in open world MP which is why I don't play Elite in MP)

So definitely buy it if you want to have 18th century naval battles. There is NOTHING out there better. Maybe fork over some cash for a DLC ship or two. Even if you don't like the ship, you can order one once a day and sell it. Eventually you will collect enough to get what you want

But if you are expecting X4 or Elite on the high seas, don't bother. There is just no reason to care about who is at war with whom since we all are, no reason to trade b/c the economy and soooo time consuming and absolutely no feelings of immersion in a real world over-arching naval war. All that stuff if backdrops for single naval battles

All that said, I don't regret buying and I don't regret the DLC ships I bought. I love it for what it is to me: a simulator of 18th century naval battles. But it ain't a war or trade simulator

I have more hours in this game than in any other Steam game, and I have close to 300 Steam games. I believe I am close to 400 hours. Here's my complaints:

PvE is near impossible. I am a terrible player, and prefer to attack NPC ships at a lower tier. The new way missions are constructed makes this very, very difficult. Often, you are given a mission to attack a ship AT your level, and that never. misses. their. shots.

Unless you fight a perfect battle, you're going to get badly damaged, as a minimum.

I will fire this back up, and see what the changes are..but I don't hold out much hope for this. They have jacked around their player base with wild, ill-conceived, massive, badly constructed "tweaks." Seriously...fundamental and polished parts of the game were just blown up, and replaced with crap.

Destraex

Quote from: MengJiao on May 28, 2019, 05:56:26 PM

I agree.  I had fun in the alpha and the beta, but I don't need the grid.  Maybe another okay circa 1800 ship battle simulator (maybe one that lets ships surrender?) will come out, but probably not while I'm still playing games.

I thought you could surrender in this?

SirAndrewD

Well, I own Naval Action from Early Access, but heard a lot of very salacious "investigative" reports that accused the developers of Steam violations and outright fraud. 

I admit, I loved the heck out of the naval combat mechanic.  But I was sort of aiming for the "Elite Dangerous in the 18th Century" thing that I'm guessing we're not going to get. 

One of the big Battletech Youtuber's, Sid Alpha did a couple of videos taking the devs to task for violating Steam rules by selling DLC prior to the end of Early Access.   There was at least some insinuation that the end of Early Access is simply to continue to support the pay for content model that the developers have gone to.   Essentially, the side that is claiming that there has been malfeasance is saying that early access purchases did not go to finishing the game, they went to costs for developing DLC that was, provably, released before the end of Early Access, and then continued to either be nerfed or buffed after people had spent real world money. 

Claims were also made that "Free" ships were offered off Steam on the Dev website for positive Steam reviews.   Essentially review bombing. 

For my part, I don't know.   I loved the naval combat portion, but I really hoped for a different product than the one I spent money on.   I am not really comfortable that they did outright break promises of what kind of ships would be purchasable, as they initially promised and then deleted that ships third rate and over would not be DLC.

I guess I'll see for myself and give it a try.  Just all the stuff around it has seemed a bit skeevy.  If the simple one on one ship combat has been the same or improved on what came before, that's still a solid experience, but I'm not sure it's worth their price of admission for new players.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

mikeck

Well, I ain't lying. Buy it for fun naval combat and that's it. If you want more, you'll be disappointed. If that's all you want, you'll be happy with it

Destraex

Quote from: SirAndrewD on May 28, 2019, 10:40:44 PM
Well, I own Naval Action from Early Access, but heard a lot of very salacious "investigative" reports that accused the developers of Steam violations and outright fraud. 

I admit, I loved the heck out of the naval combat mechanic.  But I was sort of aiming for the "Elite Dangerous in the 18th Century" thing that I'm guessing we're not going to get. 

One of the big Battletech Youtuber's, Sid Alpha did a couple of videos taking the devs to task for violating Steam rules by selling DLC prior to the end of Early Access.   There was at least some insinuation that the end of Early Access is simply to continue to support the pay for content model that the developers have gone to.   Essentially, the side that is claiming that there has been malfeasance is saying that early access purchases did not go to finishing the game, they went to costs for developing DLC that was, provably, released before the end of Early Access, and then continued to either be nerfed or buffed after people had spent real world money. 

Claims were also made that "Free" ships were offered off Steam on the Dev website for positive Steam reviews.   Essentially review bombing. 

For my part, I don't know.   I loved the naval combat portion, but I really hoped for a different product than the one I spent money on.   I am not really comfortable that they did outright break promises of what kind of ships would be purchasable, as they initially promised and then deleted that ships third rate and over would not be DLC.

I guess I'll see for myself and give it a try.  Just all the stuff around it has seemed a bit skeevy.  If the simple one on one ship combat has been the same or improved on what came before, that's still a solid experience, but I'm not sure it's worth their price of admission for new players.

I wonder how steam let them offer dlc before release? That is my wuestion.
As for third rates and above not being dlc. I thought that he dlc 3rd rate was only debatable as a 3rd rate. That technically it may or may not be a 3rd rate.

Originally this game had no open world. So i consider the open world like a total war campaign map. Good for making battles have meaning and context.

What exactly is missing from the open world anyway? I know some traders like the pve server. But I do not know if i could go that safe just to play with them. But I am currently trsting that theory.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on May 28, 2019, 10:21:21 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on May 28, 2019, 05:56:26 PM

You can, but I've never had an AI strike his colors even if I was sitting off his stern about to blast him into oblivion.

I thought you could surrender in this?

Pete Dero

Quote from: Skoop on May 28, 2019, 05:49:54 PM
I'd love to see a historical battle option added to the game in SP where you pick any ship and reenact famous engagements from the period.  It would really show case the best things, like sailing and combat.

Even a skirmish mode or a quick battle option (both against the AI) would make me buy it.