New game from original X-Com creator: Phoenix Point

Started by IronX, March 18, 2016, 10:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: WargamerJoe on March 13, 2019, 10:14:59 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 13, 2019, 09:54:05 AM
I'm getting really sick of these Epic exclusives. it has to be hurting developers...at least in the short term.

If it IS hurting devs, it's not in a way that they seem to be aware of - otherwise they simply wouldn't do it. I don't think it's as simple as keeping more of the money - Steam being everywhere and on everyone's (almost) machine at this point can't be ignored, but then Fortnite player numbers are equally as ridiculous so I'm told.

So there's a lot of people Epic can push towards the store and find these games. I'd say that's theoretically as likely as people finding it on Steam at this point, given how crowded Steam's marketplace is.

Epic must have good enough numbers and a good enough speech to convince devs the Short term is fine and dandy - I see this as being more of a long-term gamble.

Is there any data available about digital sales of Metro Exodus (also Epic exlusive) ?

I've read about an increase of physical sales for this game (mostly PS4) but does this mean a decrease in digital sales due to not selling on Steam ?
I don't know if Epic gives out sale numbers.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Pete Dero

Quote from: Gusington on March 13, 2019, 01:53:17 PM
Is Epic DRM free?

They stated that it's up to every publisher/developer whether to implement DRM on their games or not.

Metro Exodus as an example has Denuvo DRM (https://www.game-debate.com/news/26446/metro-exodus-has-denuvo-drm-confirmed-and-fans-arent-happy?&page=3)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

jomni

Quote from: Bardolph on March 13, 2019, 09:51:19 PM
Just wow:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0psjl/ama_with_julian_gollop_and_david_kaye/

Wow lots of guys trying to get a refund.
They claim if they refunded everyone they would still be in the black. So Epic really gave them a lot of money for the game.
https://amp.reddit.com/r/PhoenixPoint/comments/b0kk4k/everything_wrong_with_the_current_situation/

Tpek

Oh wow this looks really bad.

Seems Epic Store/Launcher is blocked in many countries around the world, thus preventing backers from getting their games (at least until it might come years later to Steam/GoG/others), and to make matters worse the devs are only granting refunds via a strange third party company that requires you to hand them over your bank account details and then leaves you in the dark about the refund process.

As much as I disliked Steam's monopoly over the PC gaming industry in the years past and its shady practices, these practices by Epic Store and the sellout companies are making me miss those days.

Gusington

Every new tidbit I learn about Epic solidifies my stance to never use it. Guess I will miss out on some games, then.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Tpek on March 14, 2019, 06:18:34 AM

As much as I disliked Steam's monopoly over the PC gaming industry in the years past and its shady practices, these practices by Epic Store and the sellout companies are making me miss those days.

This. I was lukewarm to the idea of a Steam competitor, particularly since I have really come to enjoy using Steam, but I was open to the possibilities brought about by competition. However, not like this...not like this at all. Epic is essentially "bribing" developers to go exclusive with them. As much as an impulsive gamer as I am, I am yet to buy a single title from Epic...that speaks volumes.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

Wow, what a shitty move by Julian Gollop.  All respect gone now.

Grim.Reaper

i'll buy from whatever source provides me the games i want to play.  don't really care who sells it, i already use many digital distributors.

Gusington

Yeah but Epic is particularly sleazy in how they are operating.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Grim.Reaper

i am not really defending them, nor saying they are the worst.  just think about what people use to think of steam when it first came out?  maybe not everyone, but people hated that they were now forced to buy digital games from an online resource because developers reduced making physical copies.  they also hated having to login steam to play their games.  to me epic is just another twist in the history of gaming.  who knows maybe in the long run they help evolve the industry, don't know.  sure it stinks because of some of the switching to exclusives, but at least for me not the end of the world.

hasn't other distributors have exclusives some time?  pretty sure ea and ubisoft has done it one time or another.

in the end i'll use any digital platform that has what i want to play and affordable:)

Jarhead0331

^ you're such a whore.  :-*

For me, aside from the whole "bribery" thing, Epic simply sucks. Everything about it is substandard...UI, access to info., tools, functionality, etc. and worse still, it is absolutely loaded with hackers and malware. No thanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on March 15, 2019, 01:41:43 AM
^ you're such a whore.  :-*

For me, aside from the whole "bribery" thing, Epic simply sucks. Everything about it is substandard...UI, access to info., tools, functionality, etc. and worse still, it is absolutely loaded with hackers and malware. No thanks.

I can't deny either of those statements:)  To be honest right now, there is no game I play on it right now, I have downloaded the free stuff but really haven't touched.  But if and when something I want comes out, don't think I will hold back buying it.