Let the Captain Marvel trailers commence!

Started by JasonPratt, September 19, 2018, 06:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I've been thinking that Larson's problem, is that she doesn't know yet how to act like any believable type of soldier. Possibly that's a direction and writing problem, too. The story structure of her character being constantly held back on emotions (since she could throw off her shackles with more emotion or something), doesn't help in some ways.

If the film's story structure presented her as mentally damaged from her ordeals, that would go some distance in accounting for her behavior. But having actual character flaws (whether internal or externally imposed) to deal with, seems to have been beyond the ability or perhaps the mandate of the writing and directing.

This character can be acted well. Carol Danver's great in the second season of the animated Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes series, and some clips from the subsequent animated series (intended to conform more to the MCU 'look) seem competently acted. Of course, voice acting is easier as well as more difficult than live-action film acting, so the comparison can't be totally valid. But still. I have no doubt that, even with any studio mandates shackling how she should be marketed and portrayed, Katee Sackhof would have blasted it. But then, she has extensive experience acting as a combat pilot.

By contrast, Larson acts better as the anti-military photographer in Kong: Skull Island (with some other MCU alumni including Sam Jackson.) She's good at being that kind of 'rogue'. Not so much as a devoted soldier (acting rogue or otherwise. Yeah, Fury, I know a rogue soldier when I see one, too -- and when I don't.  ::) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!