Advice requested: What sealant to use for protecting game labels?

Started by Ubercat, September 25, 2016, 11:12:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ubercat

I'm pimping my Last Blitzkrieg game with labeled craft boxes for each sides units. The labels are printed by our inkjet printer and can't reasonably be expected to last very long. The print will get worn down, edges will start to peel off, etc. I'm looking for a completely clear sealant that I can daub over each label, with the edges being sealed to the surrounding plastic. I picture myself spreading it with a finger while wearing a latex glove. Small paintbrushes are also an option.

My wife recommends some kind of clear matte polyurethane and she's probably right. Can anyone offer more specific advice? Thanks!

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Barthheart

trailrunner

Quote from: Barthheart on September 25, 2016, 12:38:59 PM
Cheaper and easier solution is to use clear packing tape.

I was going to suggest this too.  For me, the difficult part when I do this is just as I'm getting the tape close, the labels will jump up to the tape, ruining the alignment.  So it might be worth it to put just a small dab of glue on the back of each label to hold it in place.

Ubercat

Tape is an idea that definitely hadn't occurred to me. My first thought was that it would be ugly and defeat the purpose of having division patch labels, but the idea is growing on me the more I consider it. We happen to have packing tape right now so I'm off to experiment.

If anyone has alternate ideas, please don't hesitate to post in case the tape doesn't look good.

Thanks, guys!
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

bbmike

They make sticker sheets for inkjet printers. Can you print on that, stick them to the outside and then spray with Krylon matte finish?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Rekim

I had a similar requirement for an organizer I built recently to hold blocks. I printed the label portion using inkjet on adhesive printer paper. I often protect high use game counters (ie. chit-pull) by applying acrylic clear coat with an airbrush, but in this case opted for Krylon Clear Coat because lazy. So far so good...

Ubercat

I believe that the labels I bought are fine for inkjet printers. They printed OK, though lining up the graphical images properly with label borders has proven very difficult.

Krylon matte or gloss was an option I've been considering (I have both).  I'd carefully place painters tape between the labels so as not to cover the entire surface of the craft box with spray.

Someone on TGB suggested using ModPodge. I've decided to make a run to the Hobby Lobby near me to get some, tomorrow. If that doesn't work, it will be shipping tape or Krylon.

- Thomas Sowell

Nefaro

If you're using packing tape, also use a razor blade or hobby knife for cutting it's edges.  Keeps the edges from fraying as when you cut it with metal teeth that so often come with packing tape rolls.

I did this with my deluxe corner rounder.  Placing small razor-cut piece of packing tape over the holes in the metal plate after the factory tape had frayed off.  Has worked better than the original thus far, with sharply cut edges, as I'm constantly pushing and turning cardboard counters across it.

Ubercat

Quote from: Nefaro on September 25, 2016, 09:26:58 PM
I did this with my deluxe corner rounder.  Placing small razor-cut piece of packing tape over the holes in the metal plate after the factory tape had frayed off.

Heh, I didn't even think of using tape to cover those holes. I've left them open and they haven't caused much trouble to my counters thus far. Of course, I spray a couple of thin coats of Krylon gloss clearcoat on each side of my counter sheets before I punch them. They're a little bit tougher that way.

- Thomas Sowell

Crossroads

Have you considered lamination? The foils the machine uses consist of two layers, so put the bottom layer on top of your box, then with a drop of glue perhaps, place the symbols on their correct places. Then fold the top foil in place, run through the machine. Cut to proper size, tape over the box. Will last a lifetime, and are completely protected.

Lamination machines are available from twenty bucks, and a small pack of sheets a tenner or so.
Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Nefaro

Quote from: Ubercat on September 25, 2016, 10:07:44 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on September 25, 2016, 09:26:58 PM
I did this with my deluxe corner rounder.  Placing small razor-cut piece of packing tape over the holes in the metal plate after the factory tape had frayed off.

Heh, I didn't even think of using tape to cover those holes. I've left them open and they haven't caused much trouble to my counters thus far. Of course, I spray a couple of thin coats of Krylon gloss clearcoat on each side of my counter sheets before I punch them. They're a little bit tougher that way.

I wouldn't have bothered, but was concerned about accidentally catching a counter corner when sliding them around.  With my luck, I'd end up doing it at some point.

May have to replace that tape again sometime but it's not a big deal. 

GJK

Quote from: Crossroads on September 25, 2016, 11:43:33 PM
Have you considered lamination? The foils the machine uses consist of two layers, so put the bottom layer on top of your box, then with a drop of glue perhaps, place the symbols on their correct places. Then fold the top foil in place, run through the machine. Cut to proper size, tape over the box. Will last a lifetime, and are completely protected.

Lamination machines are available from twenty bucks, and a small pack of sheets a tenner or so.

This was my immediate thought.  I'd print them and then laminate them and then glue them to the lid of the organizer.
Clip your freaking corners!
----------------------
Blood Bowl on VASSAL - Ask me about it! http://garykrockover.com/BB/
----------------------
"Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

-Dean Vernon Wormer