The "real" Braveheart and the movie

Started by Boggit, September 20, 2016, 03:59:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JudgeDredd

lol

I am WELL aware of how fictional the film was. That's Hollywood.

Still a good movie
Alba gu' brath

Boggit

;D I was pretty sure you did. I was just teasing you... ^-^

I agree it's a fun alternative history movie, but like the guy from Clann Tartan says, had they kept to a truthful historical version they would have had a damn good story too. The article is actually quite interesting, coming from a guy who researched Robert the Bruce.

The trouble with Hollywood is they frequently misrepresent history, and people who don't know any better believe it...see the U571 film (capture of the enigma machine) for example (actually the incident relates to the capture of U110 by HMS Bulldog. U571 was sunk by an Australian flying boat and was never boarded).
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

JudgeDredd

Yeah - there was absolutely no need for it to be changed in the way it was...the story has "appeal" without having to be a documentary or a docu-soap.
Alba gu' brath

besilarius

The author of "Run Silent, Run Deep" was furious with the changes that Hollywood made to his story.  Ned Beach was a very successful submariner and based the book very closely on his experiences.
His second book, "Dust on the Sea" was in some respects better, and very closely based on an american wolfpack attack on a Japanese convoy in 1944.  Since the movie had been quite successful, his agent thought they'd make a bundle by selling the movie rights to the follow up.  Beach wouldn't have any of it.
Once burned, he never considered letting Hollywood hacks ruin his plots.
His widow, Ingrid, who still lives in Washington, DC, however still gets residuals from the movie and cheers when Clark Gable dies.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Boggit

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 20, 2016, 05:22:27 PM
Yeah - there was absolutely no need for it to be changed in the way it was...the story has "appeal" without having to be a documentary or a docu-soap.
Exactly.

Boggit

Quote from: besilarius on September 20, 2016, 06:49:18 PM
The author of "Run Silent, Run Deep" was furious with the changes that Hollywood made to his story.  Ned Beach was a very successful submariner and based the book very closely on his experiences.
His second book, "Dust on the Sea" was in some respects better, and very closely based on an american wolfpack attack on a Japanese convoy in 1944.  Since the movie had been quite successful, his agent thought they'd make a bundle by selling the movie rights to the follow up.  Beach wouldn't have any of it.
Once burned, he never considered letting Hollywood hacks ruin his plots.
His widow, Ingrid, who still lives in Washington, DC, however still gets residuals from the movie and cheers when Clark Gable dies.
I get that. There was a series on TV recently called "What really happened" and watching the Pearl Harbor episode the historian was keen to point out that people actually believe the Hollywood versions as "history" and wanted to set the record straight with a factual account of what happened, which frankly was more interesting than the fictional version - as it often is.

Sir Slash

I've often thought the most accurate depiction in 'Braveheart' was Patrick Mc Goohan's Edward I. One of the real Bastards of English history and a near perfect movie villain. The rest was just entertainment.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.