2016 Running Football Thread

Started by bayonetbrant, February 28, 2016, 06:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Browns confirm QB McCown broke collarbone

Can Cleveland go more than 2 games with the same starting QB?

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

OJsDad

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on September 25, 2016, 05:15:53 PM
LSU has fired Miles.

Not a surprise.  The loser of that game was getting canned.

It's a pipe dream, but I'd love for NC State to hire him.  We still wouldn't win more than 9 in any given year, but good God they'd be more entertaining than the crap we're passing off as "football" these days.

Bison

I'm sure he'll have a bunch of offers at the end of the season.

BanzaiCat

OJsDad

Quote from: Bison on September 25, 2016, 08:42:58 PM
I'm sure he'll have a bunch of offers at the end of the season.

Listening to Columbus radio today on my way to the airport, they threw out the possibility of Penn State trying to pick him up. 

Who will LSU go after as a replacement. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: OJsDad on September 26, 2016, 08:34:55 PMWho will LSU go after as a replacement. 

They all think that Jimbo Fisher already has his house on the market.  Fisher has previously said he'd pay his own buyout for the LSU gig and has always wanted to go back to Baton Rouge.
They have Tom Hermann as a plan B, but he might not want it.
If they don't move fast, they'll be competing against Southern Cal and possibly Texas, two very, very rich schools, for coaching candidates.

The intriguing one I heard was Bob Stoops.  Would Bob leave OU, where he has 2 tough games each year, to coach in the SEC West, where he'll have 5?  No one knows, but it's unlikely.  Then again, Stoops is young enough to wait out Saban, too.

After Fisher / Hermann, none of the other suggestions really set the world on fire.  Dantonio?  Fedora?  Dykes?  None of those guys are home-run hires.  They're not going to hire a coordinator, and it'd be a miracle of Orgeron holds onto the job (plus, it would be a shitty idea).

bayonetbrant

Interesting point that keeps coming up. Brian Kelly is a devout Catholic and LSU is the flagship university of the most Catholic state in the nation. And there's a core group of Notre Dame backers that seem to think that being in the playoff is there natural birthright

That one would not surprise me at all. But if Southern Cal gets involved and backs a Brinks truck up to Brian Kelly's doorstep I can't see how he wouldn't go there instead

Bison

Well I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in Kelly.  Notre Dame isn't exactly setting the bar for performance this year.  Losses to Texas and both Michigan State and Duke at home.  I've personally always felt he was way to overrated.  Right up there with Rich Rodriguez and Charlie Weis.

bayonetbrant

I think he hired a bad D-coordinator, and has no taken steps to rectify that.  I don't know what his coaching budget is at ND, but assistants in the SEC (esp the West) make as much or more than most HC's elsewhere.

I just wonder how sick Kelly is going to get of unrealistic expectation with all the academic handcuff's ND puts on him.

Bison

I don't know.  I think there is something to be said about expecting academic performance above athletic performance from student athletes.  Stanford doesn't seem to struggle with recruiting. Notre Dame has really struggled to recruit.  I think it has more to do with recruiting competiton from automatic bid conferences more than anything else.  Notre Dame should have sucked up their pride years ago and joined the Big 10, when the opportunity was available.

OJsDad

Quote from: Bison on September 27, 2016, 12:46:01 PM
I don't know.  I think there is something to be said about expecting academic performance above athletic performance from student athletes.  Stanford doesn't seem to struggle with recruiting. Notre Dame has really struggled to recruit.  I think it has more to do with recruiting competiton from automatic bid conferences more than anything else.  Notre Dame should have sucked up their pride years ago and joined the Big 10, when the opportunity was available.

We don't want them now.

Bison

I'm pretty sure the Ads would be more than willing to consider dropping one of their ranks if they could to gain Notre Dame's fanbase.