Warhammer 40k: Wrath & Glory

Started by Nefaro, November 11, 2017, 08:52:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

Ulisses Spiele is publishing a new 40k roleplaying game. 

Some mention of it being out next year..?

http://www.ulisses-us.com/games/warhammer-40000-roleplay/

http://www.ulisses-us.com/wrath-glory-faq/

From the FAQ:
What system does Wrath & Glory use?

Wrath & Glory has a brand-new game system involving dice pools of d6s to represent your character's abilities. The game focuses on highlighting brutal combat, fast action, and a deep immersion into the setting of the 41st Millennium.

Wonderful!  That's the kinda stuff it needed IMO.

Will probably sell my Dark Heresy 2e and Deathwatch collections if this new one is up to snuff.  There will always be some who'd prefer the out-of-print d100 FFG system anyway, so win-win.  :)

Arctic Blast

Sounds good. Deathwatch was a mess. 2 double sided character sheets loaded up with stat lines and modifiers was not what anyone wanted from a 40K game.

Nefaro

Quote from: Arctic Blast on November 12, 2017, 01:51:00 AM
Sounds good. Deathwatch was a mess. 2 double sided character sheets loaded up with stat lines and modifiers was not what anyone wanted from a 40K game.

I thought so too, but..

Believe it or not, there is a vocal crowd who still complains if it's anything but that old DRM-filled d100 system they seem to love. 

It's the same one as the old 1st & 2nd Edition WFRPs, but with even more special case modifiers.  There were many people complaining about WFRP 3rd edition changing the system.  Enough that the 4th edition WFRP will use it.

The old GW RPG was popular because of all the cool options and setting.  Despite the crappy core mechanic it was built upon.  I don't understand why so many people still stubbornly refuse any other way.  Too much nostalgia or refusal to learn something new?  :knuppel2:

Arctic Blast

I think it's a mix of nostalgia and being so accustomed to it that it has actually become fairly second nature. But it's so obtuse and difficult to learn initially that it's a steep climb (akin to a cliff face) for newcomers.

Nefaro

Email update:

QuotePre-Sale Launch Date

At this point, we hope you're eager to find out when you can start ordering. The presale is scheduled to launch on Friday, June 1st. We'll post links on all our social media at 10:00am Central (UTC-5).

Nefaro

Apparently the physical copies are arriving, but pre-orders won't be sent for another month-plus due to the big convention.   :-"

Tpek

Seems that like their Torg Eternity products, you're going to need to use special physical cards (bought separately) in order to play.
So getting PDFs of the books instead of purchasing physical products is not going to suffice. :(

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on August 01, 2018, 08:15:02 AM
Seems that like their Torg Eternity products, you're going to need to use special physical cards (bought separately) in order to play.
So getting PDFs of the books instead of purchasing physical products is not going to suffice. :(

I don't think you have to use their cards at all.  Most of them are just player/GM reference cards (i.e. cheat 'sheets'), like those in FFG's Star Wars RPG.  Which are purely optional.

From the glance I gave it, the only one that has some extra kind of game function were the Campaign cards.  However, those are optional and I don't think they add much if anything.  Fluff.  Maybe there was another deck I missed? 

My biggest complaint about their Torg Eternity system is much like their Dark Eye RPG;  no proper bestiary.   Sure, The Dark Eye has a bestiary but it's tiny compared to the ones I consider great.  When you've seen the other books from both systems, you realize that they conservatively sprinkle a few monster stat blocks in each book.  Pfah!  They need to put a fair amount in the core book, then release a big dedicated bestiary all on it's own, dammit!  I hope they stopped doing that in 40 Wrath & Glory.   :pullhair:  40kW&G's core book beastie blocks looked to be more numerous than the other two I just mentioned, so perhaps they've listened.  :)

Nefaro

The PDFs for WH40K Wrath & Glory just came up on DTRPG for those with pre-orders. 
:nerd:  :bd:

Guessing the public release won't be far behind.

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on August 03, 2018, 09:42:16 PM

I don't think you have to use their cards at all.  Most of them are just player/GM reference cards (i.e. cheat 'sheets'), like those in FFG's Star Wars RPG.  Which are purely optional.

From the glance I gave it, the only one that has some extra kind of game function were the Campaign cards.  However, those are optional and I don't think they add much if anything.  Fluff.  Maybe there was another deck I missed? 

My biggest complaint about their Torg Eternity system is much like their Dark Eye RPG;  no proper bestiary.   Sure, The Dark Eye has a bestiary but it's tiny compared to the ones I consider great.  When you've seen the other books from both systems, you realize that they conservatively sprinkle a few monster stat blocks in each book.  Pfah!  They need to put a fair amount in the core book, then release a big dedicated bestiary all on it's own, dammit!  I hope they stopped doing that in 40 Wrath & Glory.   :pullhair:  40kW&G's core book beastie blocks looked to be more numerous than the other two I just mentioned, so perhaps they've listened.  :)

I've googled some about Torg Eternity and whether it's really possible to play without the cards, and it would seem not.
Although someone has created a PDF supplement for the game (sold via DriveThruRPG) that contains new rules that are supposed to be able to somewhat replace the cards.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on August 10, 2018, 04:35:54 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 03, 2018, 09:42:16 PM

I've googled some about Torg Eternity and whether it's really possible to play without the cards, and it would seem not.
Although someone has created a PDF supplement for the game (sold via DriveThruRPG) that contains new rules that are supposed to be able to somewhat replace the cards.

Wasn't speaking of Torg as that, indeed, requires the use of it's associated card deck.  Someone suggested that WH40k Wrath & Glory also required a special deck of cards to play.

Wrath & Glory does not use the same system!  It's "campaign cards" are completely optional.  Which was the point I attempted to make before the Torg rant.  ;)

ConflictZ

Quote from: Nefaro on November 11, 2017, 08:52:01 AM
Ulisses Spiele is publishing a new 40k roleplaying game. 

Some mention of it being out next year..?

http://www.ulisses-us.com/games/warhammer-40000-roleplay/

http://www.ulisses-us.com/wrath-glory-faq/

From the FAQ:
What system does Wrath & Glory use?

Wrath & Glory has a brand-new game system involving dice pools of d6s to represent your character's abilities. The game focuses on highlighting brutal combat, fast action, and a deep immersion into the setting of the 41st Millennium.

Wonderful!  That's the kinda stuff it needed IMO.

Will probably sell my Dark Heresy 2e and Deathwatch collections if this new one is up to snuff.  There will always be some who'd prefer the out-of-print d100 FFG system anyway, so win-win.  :)

My issue with Wrath & Glory is the aesthetic approach they chose just isn't gritty enough for my taste.  Everything looks too clean for that universe from the art pieces I've seen.  Much prefer the FFG take.  Hope it's good mechanically and they do well with it though  8)

Nefaro

Quote from: ConflictZ on September 26, 2018, 01:57:36 PM

My issue with Wrath & Glory is the aesthetic approach they chose just isn't gritty enough for my taste.  Everything looks too clean for that universe from the art pieces I've seen.  Much prefer the FFG take.  Hope it's good mechanically and they do well with it though  8)

Agreed.

The recent WFRP release also looks & sounds more cartoonish and is definitely lacking much of the old grimdark feel of earlier editions. 

Since both these new RPGs are from different companies, I'm beginning to believe GW has a hand in this trend.  ::)