Have you ever gotten a friend into computer wargames?

Started by Pzrjager, April 15, 2018, 08:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pzrjager

I think this hobby is a bit niche. UIs are often terrible, titles aren't often discounted, and the games expect the player to go through the manual. In addition, an interest in military history is not necessarily required but certaintly helpful.

How did you get your friend(s) into computer wargames? What game? How did you do it?

Bardolph

I got several folks hooked on the original Combat Mission when it came out. Can't think of any successes since then though. Not for lack of trying.

besilarius

Back in the 80s, a hobby shop in Alexandria, Va., Little Soldier, had a group who played computer games in the shop.
Classic SSI games were played on Saturdays and got a lot of people involved by watching the action.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bobarossa

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 16, 2018, 06:31:13 AM
What's a friend?
That's someone who doesn't run away screaming when you open your mouth.

Cyrano

Three via CMx1.

And one friend I met at Historicon who is now a playtester for JTS.

In all four cases, they were minis gamers -- and they still are -- who saw PC games as a nice alternative when unable to set up a weekend-long gaming bender.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Ubercat

What's a friend?

That would be the person that you play war games on a table or Vassal with and discover that human opponents are much more interesting and engaging than AI ones.   :bd:
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

jamus34

Quote from: Ubercat on April 16, 2018, 09:19:57 AM
What's a friend?

That would be the person that you play war games on a table or Vassal with and discover that human opponents are much more interesting and engaging than AI ones.   :bd:

Got to add a caveat there that specifically states you are not playing a MOBA or COD (and it's clones). The toxic environment combined with "little kids" spouting stuff that would get them five across the face if they said it in front of their parents could hardly be called interesting or engaging.
Insert witty comment here.

DennisS

Many, many times. Simply talk about the excitement and drama, the day you rolled a "12", and got a 100% bombing result in QotS.

Your target audience has to have the recessive trait, "Grognard". or it won't work.

Ubercat

Quote from: jamus34 on April 16, 2018, 09:25:20 AM
What's a friend?

Got to add a caveat there that specifically states you are not playing a MOBA or COD (and it's clones). The toxic environment combined with "little kids" spouting stuff that would get them five across the face if they said it in front of their parents could hardly be called interesting or engaging.

I'm guessing those are both FPS's? Do you consider them war games? Even if you do, they can't be played over the table or through Vassal.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

jamus34

Quote from: Ubercat on April 16, 2018, 10:23:42 AM
Quote from: jamus34 on April 16, 2018, 09:25:20 AM
What's a friend?

I'm guessing those are both FPS's? Do you consider them war games? Even if you do, they can't be played over the table or through Vassal.

Yeah I should have edited my comment.

I will agree people who play war games are typically more level headed, older and in general more attuned to teaching their opponent (if necessary) rather than berate and win at all costs
Insert witty comment here.

FarAway Sooner

War games, no.  Strategy board games?  Totally.

Games like Settlers of Catan or Pandemic are perfect for sucking people in.  You won't have success selling anything harder-core to them unless they are single or married and have no children between the ages of 0 and 10.  The brain energy just isn't there.

Anguille

Friends no but i am working on my kids  ;)...Master of Orion: Conquest the Stars or Civilization VI are games they like to see me play and the eldest (soon 10 years old) played a few turns of Civilization VI last weekend.

Bardolph

Quote from: besilarius on April 16, 2018, 06:03:19 AM
Back in the 80s, a hobby shop in Alexandria, Va., Little Soldier, had a group who played computer games in the shop.
Classic SSI games were played on Saturdays and got a lot of people involved by watching the action.

!

I used to buy figs there back in the day. Guy named Dennis owned it wasn't it?
Was one of those cool shops that are few and far between these days.

Manassassas

No, and I keep hoping my friends will get me out of wargames tbh.