Ghost Recon: Breakpoint

Started by Huw the Poo, September 08, 2019, 06:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoodedHorseJoe

Played this over the weekend with two mates. It was pretty enjoyable. I never played Wildlands but I heard the Open World was a bit problematic there.

It's one of those sandbox games that's either going to be great, or exhausting, depending on what mood you in. Never got a chance to try out PvP which was a shame.

My friend's aren't 100% sold on it for the moment so we're probably going to adopt a 'wait and see' attitude anyway.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

Grim.Reaper

although my initial stance was to wait it out, playing the beta reminded me how much i enjoyed this type of game.  even if not perfect and is different, i think there is enough for me to get my money worth so i likely will be pre ordering this week.

Grim.Reaper

ok officially caved...preloading now

Huw the Poo

Nice!  \m/

I'm champing at the bit.  I really cannot wait for Friday.

Grim.Reaper

i was actually double weak, ended up pre ordering the new call of duty game as well:

Huw the Poo

A bloke in work traded in some PS4 games and got the ultimate edition of Breakpoint for £14!  So he gets to play tonight.  Bastard.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 01, 2019, 12:01:03 PM
A bloke in work traded in some PS4 games and got the ultimate edition of Breakpoint for £14!  So he gets to play tonight.  Bastard.

good price...no way i could pay full price myself just for a few days early.  it will give others time to find and correct bugs:)

Jarhead0331

I'm really trying to find an excuse to buy breakpoint, but other than you two, I can't find one. The early impressions pretty universally descibe it as a disappointing "hodge-podge" that struggles to find an identity.

Could you guys explain what it is that is so appealing as compared to say, Wildlands?
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

You know how vocal people can be.  Yes it has some features of other games - mainly The Division - but it's still very much Wildlands in a different world and with a greater emphasis on drones (the enemy's as much as your own).

The way I'd pitch it is it's an obvious purchase if you're a fan of Wildlands and want another game which does some things a bit differently.  But if you aren't interested in playing with other people, maybe wait until AI squadmates are in.  As I've said before, I haven't felt the need for them yet, especially as you can now employ sync shot drones.  But I wouldn't try to convince you to buy the game if you aren't happy with a lack of squadmates.

For me personally, I love Wildlands and I just want another one.  A new world to explore, a new story to play through, etc.  For what it's worth, I think Auroa is a much more interesting world than the Bolivian setting of Wildlands.  In Wildlands a large part of the game is played assaulting cities, villages and forts, whereas - from what I've seen so far - in Breakpoint a lot more happens in the wilderness.  Things are a bit more guerilla.

Jarhead0331

I very much enjoyed Wildlands too. It's only a matter of time until I get this, but I would like to wait for AI Squad mates. I'm really pissed they weren't included out of the gate. I think it's unforgiveable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Huw the Poo

I honestly think it's down to the late-stage change of development I speculated about earlier.  It really seems like they initially went for hardcore survival.  You're supposed to be almost the only survivor of a disaster, outgunned and hopelessly outnumbered and trying desperately to get off the island.  I'd bet good money that the initial playtest got a lot of negative feedback about this, so very late in development they shifted back toward a squad model.  I can't think of a better reason for squadmates being planned but not yet implemented at release.  The sync shot drones are a big clue, too.

Grim.Reaper

JH, here is my take for what it is worth......what ended up selling me.

- I loved Wildlands and this felt like a great extension to an already great game
- I found myself not being able to stop over the weekend beta, just had that feel where I wanted to keep playing
- Driving felt better
- Overall controls felt better; player stumbles and reacts differently, more realistic
- Love when you go prone, you can bury yourself into the ground for extra camo
- Story seems decent although tried not to pay attention as much so it can be fresh on release

Bottomline, just felt like an improved experience from Wildlands which I thoroughly enjoyed....I will get my money's worth.

As for squadmates, you know I had the same reaction as you....until I played the beta.  I really did not miss having squadmates and the story and how things unfold kind of made sense not to have squadmates.  Certainly would love to be optional, but did not turn out to be a make or break decision after all.

Lastly, I am no expert at these games and I don't over analyze for realism or what mass reviewers think....I am sure there are quirks and things experts may not like, to each his own.....I simply found it fun to play and its been a long time where a game kept my attention for hours over a weekend.

Grim.Reaper

Can't wait for it to be out, although I won't have access to play it until the weekend:)

Seems like most reviewers bashing it, just don't know why from the limited time I played with it in the beta....guess I don't care as long as I have fun.

Huw the Poo

Wildlands wasn't very well received either, and look how that turned out!

In other news, just before I went to bed last night I noticed an update for Breakpoint, so I downloaded it and the game promptly launched!  A day early?  I wish I'd bloody known, I spent the evening playing that awful Destiny 2 game when apparently I could have been playing this!  Oh well, just one more day of work to get through...

Grim.Reaper

yep, not sure.....but just amazed how universal everyone seems to hate it.  the game certainly is not revolutionary or extremely something new.....i guess i just had different expectations and ok if it is more of the same from wildlands.

oh well, i'll just stop reading the reviews....they just better not stop supporting it anytime soon:)