What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Finished The End by Kershaw...great book. It will stick with me for a long time.

Just began The Rise and Fall of Imperial Japan edited by S.L. Mayer. The copy I have is 30+ years old and I bartered for it with an old forumer named Braz24 (Jeff) years ago. Not sure if he came over here in the migration.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

^ Heh.  The dude that gave me his dog when he left also gave me a copy of that book..  I'm looking at it on my bookshelf right now.  I haven't read it yet, though, but it looks like a good book.  Lots of pictures.   O0
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

The copy he gave me is 30+ years old and the captions to the images are in like 2-point font. The writing is very good, though. And most of the images I have never seen before. No dog found yet, though.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

I've read Beevor's 'The Fall of Berlin 1945' and Ryan's 'The Last Battle' - Gus, have you read either of those? How good is 'The End' compared to those two? I hate to read yet another book about the Battle of Berlin unless it brings something different to the table.

bob48

Quote from: Gusington on May 15, 2015, 07:08:54 AM
Thank you Bawb...you are a scholar-gentleman and a great mustache farmer.

Nef I just dig war elephants because of the kewl armor :)

I'm well into this now Gussy, and I highly recommend it. Very informative and interesting. O0
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Martok

Lions of Al-Rassan still hasn't arrived at my library yet (grr), so I've started re-reading I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole.  Easily my favorite standalone novel in the Star Wars EU. 

On deck (if Lions doesn't get here in time):  Have borrowed World War Z from a friend.  I've never been into zombies and probably never will, but I've been mildly intrigued by this one for a while now. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Airborne Rifles

Quote from: Martok on May 19, 2015, 06:04:16 AM

On deck (if Lions doesn't get here in time):  Have borrowed World War Z from a friend.  I've never been into zombies and probably never will, but I've been mildly intrigued by this one for a while now.

You're in for a treat. I'm not really into the zombie genre, but I loved this book. Read it twice.

Gusington

Thanks Bawb, will put Collision into my shopping cart and I'll tell them you sent me.

BC - The End is the first book I've read about the end of WWII in Europe. Got Beevor's Battle for Berlin on my night stand.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

The Last 100 Days is another good one - I forgot to list it.

mirth

Armageddon: The Battle for Germany, 1944-1945 by Max Hastings is also excellent.  Hastings is probably my favorite historian currently writing.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

World War Z is fantastic and a pretty quick read.  Highly recommended!   O0
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

I'm probably the only person here who didn't care for World War Z.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bbmike

Lions of Al-Rassan still hasn't arrived at my library yet (grr), so I've started re-reading I, Jedi by Michael Stackpole.  Easily my favorite standalone novel in the Star Wars EU. 

I bought I, Jedi a few weeks back and now you're making me want to read it sooner rather than later.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on May 19, 2015, 02:34:48 PM
World War Z is fantastic and a pretty quick read.  Highly recommended!   O0
Quote from: mirth on May 19, 2015, 03:38:15 PM
I'm probably the only person here who didn't care for World War Z.
I seem to recall reactions in general were somewhat mixed -- more so to the movie (not surprisingly), but even the book had its detractors (not just you mirth).  Still, I remain curious, and am at least cautiously looking forward to it.  Keeping my fingers crossed! 

Quote from: bbmike on May 19, 2015, 03:44:30 PM

I bought I, Jedi a few weeks back and now you're making me want to read it sooner rather than later.
You're welcome.  >:D 

One thing I will say:  If you haven't already, I recommend reading the Jedi Academy trilogy and (especially) the first four X-Wing novels (which, like I, Jedi, were also written by Stackpole) first.  The former establishes much of the general backdrop for the main part of the story, while the latter acquaints you with the main character.  They're not absolutely required reading, but I found it greatly helped me have a full understanding/appreciation of the book and the characters in it (the X-Wing books in particular). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

I liked WWZ (book) and enjoyed the movie too. I went into it knowing the two were very different.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd