Madd Maxx Fury Road

Started by Sir Slash, May 17, 2015, 10:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

I always saw The Road Warrior as the mainstream movie and Beyond Thunderdome as the boxoffice sequel, both preceded by Mad Max, an Oz-sploitation flick.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Martok

Quote from: Gusington on May 23, 2015, 05:35:05 PM
^Likely story. It's ok if you have the movie poster hanging in your living room.
Heh! 

Strangely enough, I've only ever owned one movie poster, which was for Star Trek: First Contact

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^That is expected. But comforting.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

OJsDad

Per Wikipedia, Road Warrior got $23.7 million in Canada and the US.  Thunderdome go $36.2 in Canada and the US.

Part of it also is that we moved to England in '81 when Road Warrior came out, released in Dec of '81, and I was 11 at the time, so I don't remember it coming to the theater. 

Thunderdome came out in July '85, and with the popularity of Tina Turner at the time, I remember that movie a lot more.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

Sir Slash

You know I thought the villain in Fury Road resembled the Toe Cutter but I thought that guy had to be dead by now. I mean he was already mature in Madd Maxx/1981. How old is he now I wonder?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Staggerwing

He's 68, not that old: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Keays-Byrne

He would have been about 33 or so when Mad Max was filmed.

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

I always thought that guy could have been the third brother of the two in Tears for Fears.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on May 23, 2015, 09:36:25 AM
I can admit to never having seen the Postman or Waterworld.

I have seen both.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Centurion40

Quote from: Gusington on May 23, 2015, 10:21:29 AM
We are clearly better for it.

Truer words have never been spoken.

BanzaiCat

68 is pretty damn old for being in an action movie.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Centurion40

Gusington

Sorry BC I was taking a shot at your advanced age.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces