WH40K Gladius: Relics of War out soon

Started by Boggit, June 30, 2018, 03:33:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geezer

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

spelk

bbmike

And if, like me, you'd choose a colonoscopy over watching Angry Joe, here's James Allen's review. He does a good job of explaining the differences between Pandora and Gladius. He also liked the game.

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Jarhead0331

Quote from: JudgeDredd on July 19, 2018, 04:36:39 PM
What d'ya think JH? Any good?

Its certainly addictive, but it is very simple overall and definitely a missed opportunity. Its really just about growing your city, or cities, researching and constructing new buildings, and then making more units to go fight. That is all there really is to it. Again, there is an allure to exploring the map, expanding your territory and unlocking new weapons, vehicles and units, but beyond that there just isn't much there. I do feel like DLC and mods might be able to rescue it, or improve its longevity. I can see why a lot of people are happy with it, but for me, its just lost potential for now.

I would hold off on spending $40 quid if you can. I think $19.99 would have been the fairest price point.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

-budd-

I picked this up with my Matrix coupon[have every other damn game there] and have played a bit. Played the tutorial turns then restarted a new game as the space marines, which is rated as easy. I'm not a warhammer fanboy so couldn't tell you about the lore at all. So far i like it, i'm about 60 turns into a campaign. Not having diplomacy is no big deal to me as i've never played a game that did it well, mostly it just seemed canned. It is pretty much a war game focus, which is fine by me. The game plays quick, research advances quickly, building goes quick, so you advance to better units and tech for your units pretty quickly, probably quicker if you focus on getting your research up. Resources don't seem in short supply, at least i haven't reached a bottleneck yet. The space marines only get one base, but there doesn't seem to be a limit on how far you can expand it, probably as much as you can defend. You can build multiple things/buildings on one tile, each tile is rated for how many things you build on the tile and resources you get from the tile.I'm about turn 60 and i've researched about 8-9 things, unit upgrades, new buildings, new units. The UI is fine and there are tool tips for everything, so its easy to understand how things fit. The AI hasn't done anything really stupid that i've noticed, a couple of times i thought it should of followed up and finished off one of my units but it backed off. The game isn't complex but easy to get into and understand, the turns fly by....just one more turn. The map terrain may get repetitive, not sure yet, have more exploring to do.

I'd like to see a research option to have a telescope or something to build to see other planets and options to build a ship to send a landing party to colonize another planet with different terrain and different species and other warhammer races. A lot of that could be abstracted. You could have an icon and switch between making moves on each different planets, or maybe random space hulks to explore or something. There are a lot of options going forward, we'll see how inventive they can be. I don't think just introducing more warhammer races as DLC will do it.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JudgeDredd

Thanks both...I'll hold off for the moment. I'm in no rush
Alba gu' brath

-budd-

It certainly has that one more turn appeal. Up to turn 90, at war with the green skins. It's been a back and forth affair, but I'm finally at their city gates. Fun game.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Jarhead0331

I haven't really given this one the time it probably deserves.

Now, Tyranids will be added to the list of combatants. Perhaps this will give me the incentive I need to jump back in!?

http://grogheads.com/whatever/19750#more-19750
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

MikeGER

only 24h left till the Tyranids DLC  release :D

what i have read so far how the developers implemented them looks promising. 

http://www.slitherine.com/news/2765/Warhammer.40,000.Gladius.-.Tyranids.Gameplay.Mechanics

cant wait to send Space Marines or Guardsmen against them also   

MikeGER

-  heads-up   -

just have read: with the DLC release there will be a patch   - and old saved games are not compatible!
(so if you have an ongoing game -  switch of autoupdate at Steam)

Surtur

Additional heads up for those on Steam. We have created a legacy branch that people can opt into if they wish to continue their existing save game :)
"Gentlemen, You Can't Fight in Here. This is the War Room!"

W8taminute

I only recently picked up this game but I'm loving it very much.  I can see it getting stale in the long run, however the novelty hasn't worn off yet after about 26 hours of gameplay for me. 

The Tyranid DLC sounds great but I dread having to fight them.  The Necrons which come with the base game are hard enough!  LOL
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Jarhead0331

Quote from: W8taminute on January 15, 2019, 02:46:04 PM

The Tyranid DLC sounds great but I dread having to fight them.  The Necrons which come with the base game are hard enough!  LOL

If you can't beat them, join them...I'm running through a game as the horde.

It's weird...there is nothing wrong with this game on its face, but there is just something about it that doesn't grab me. It certainly has that "just one more turn" appeal, but I'm not sure to what end.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

W8taminute

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 15, 2019, 02:57:46 PM
Quote from: W8taminute on January 15, 2019, 02:46:04 PM

If you can't beat them, join them...I'm running through a game as the horde.

It's weird...there is nothing wrong with this game on its face, but there is just something about it that doesn't grab me. It certainly has that "just one more turn" appeal, but I'm not sure to what end.

Yes, I agree.  The game definitely has that 'just one more turn' feeling to it.  There is however something missing like a hook to keep you interested in the long run.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk