Ghost Recon Wildlands

Started by JudgeDredd, June 22, 2015, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Yeah, Narco Road feels completely detached from the GR experience IMO.
But the base game remains cool.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Swatter

I just picked up the game, but haven't played it much yet. My first brief impression is how smooth movement control is and how cover mechanics don't require extra buttons. I think I'm going to like this one.

JudgeDredd

I'm still playing it...I think I've got over 100 hours on it
Alba gu' brath

Swatter

A few observations:

-I've probably played it for 15 hours so far and I like it a great deal. The vehicle physics are a bit wonky and unrealistic, but I do appreciate the fact that you don't need to practice helo flying for 20 hours before you can take off and land.

-I have played both multiplayer and single player and I am surprised how effective and useful the AI bots are. They mostly take care of themselves until I need them and that's great.

-The story line is very Clancy-like in it's telling and the game mechanics where you are dismantling a drug cartel piece by piece is awesome. Most times you have to gather intel in quick raids to get information about targets of interest for future raids, which is a pretty realistic mechanic.

-This game isn't realistic in the way ArmA is, but I think that's OK. What GR loses in realism to ArmA is more than made up for in a very nice and truly sandbox campaign in a living world. I think the GR world does for milsim fans what GTA 5 did for casual consoles players looking for a good time in an immersive world. That is high tribute, IMO.

I hope they patch in AI bots for COOP play, that would truly be a great improvement.

jomni

Quote from: Swatter on May 02, 2017, 04:44:49 AM
-I have played both multiplayer and single player and I am surprised how effective and useful the AI bots are. They mostly take care of themselves until I need them and that's great.

I am now levelled-up enough to be able to call in a sizeable amount of rebels to augment my squad.  It's really fun to watch a big battle between rebels and cartel.  Of course stealth is not possible with these hombres and brings in some problems too. Enemy reinforcements are more likely to appear (unless you kill the last enemy in the base or destroy the alarms).

Yskonyn

I always snipe the alarms. It only takes one bullit. :)
Still, some characters have phones and call in reinforcements.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Jarhead0331

A few observations:

-I've probably played it for 15 hours so far and I like it a great deal. The vehicle physics are a bit wonky and unrealistic, but I do appreciate the fact that you don't need to practice helo flying for 20 hours before you can take off and land.

-The story line is very Clancy-like in it's telling and the game mechanics where you are dismantling a drug cartel piece by piece is awesome. Most times you have to gather intel in quick raids to get information about targets of interest for future raids, which is a pretty realistic mechanic.

-This game isn't realistic in the way ArmA is, but I think that's OK. What GR loses in realism to ArmA is more than made up for in a very nice and truly sandbox campaign in a living world. I think the GR world does for milsim fans what GTA 5 did for casual consoles players looking for a good time in an immersive world. That is high tribute, IMO.

I hope they patch in AI bots for COOP play, that would truly be a great improvement.

For me the AI is a mixed bag. Too often, I find my squad far off away from the action when the $hit hits the fan, and as a result, they are unable to lend any meaningful assistance when it counts most. That being said, the synchronized sniping is a great feature and the squad is certainly better than nothing. They absolutely permit the solo experience to still be enjoyable. This is a drastic difference to ARMA 3's latest Tanoa campaign, which is not geared toward SP at all. I am mystified that the game does not permit AI squad mates to fill in when playing the campaign solo. This departure from solid single-player gameplay is very disconcerting and causes great concern about the direction my all time favorite military sandbox series is heading. Fingers crossed...

In any event, Wildlands was a really pleasant surprise for me. It managed to be much more tactical and enjoyable than I ever thought it would be. Its as if they captured the old Tom Clancy feel despite their best efforts to appeal to the dumb masses. unfortunately, where they failed to ruin the experience with the initial game release, they seem to have succeeded with the expansions and DLCs which appear to be utterly ridiculous. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

jomni

A few observations:

The vehicle physics are a bit wonky and unrealistic.

But you still get differentiation.    A sedan will struggle in the mountains vs a 4x4.  An armoured car is heavy and not manoeuvrable.  Roads get slippery due to rain.  It remains wet for some time until after the rain.  But agree that there's vehicle flipping craziness when you hit rocks. You go turtle then flip back to normal.  You can go up very steep slopes when you have a powerful vehicle.

For firearms, you can really feel the differences in attributes as presented in the stats bar.

Swatter

The only complaint I have with the AI is how they get stuck on terrain sometimes. Other than that, they fit my play style nicely.

I agree with JH, this game way exceeded my expectations.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 11, 2017, 07:42:36 AM
And now for something completely different...

https://psiloveyou.xyz/the-secret-sex-community-of-ghost-recon-wildlands-771bd75d221e

This is total bull$hit. You haven't really been taken in by this fake news, have you?

Ghillie Relief, as I was told, is a supposedly real military practice where during long scouting operations the spotter will jack off the sniper (and vice versa) in order to lower stress levels and normalize the heart rate, all in quiet of course.

Yeah, whatever...I know more than a few scout-snipers and I'm confident none of them ever "jerked each other off". Ridiculous.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2017, 08:44:37 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 11, 2017, 07:42:36 AM
And now for something completely different...

https://psiloveyou.xyz/the-secret-sex-community-of-ghost-recon-wildlands-771bd75d221e

This is total bull$hit. You haven't really been taken in by this fake news, have you?

Ghillie Relief, as I was told, is a supposedly real military practice where during long scouting operations the spotter will jack off the sniper (and vice versa) in order to lower stress levels and normalize the heart rate, all in quiet of course.

Yeah, whatever...I know more than a few scout-snipers and I'm confident none of them ever "jerked each other off". Ridiculous.

There was sooooooo much BS and made up crap in that article I couldn't make it to the end.  I was laughing and facepalming the whole way through.

I just thought it would be good for a laugh over here.  I didn't think you'd take it seriously! :D
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 11, 2017, 09:48:47 AM
Just making sure... O:-)

no harm, no foul :)

Quote from: mirth on June 11, 2017, 10:17:49 AM
Seems legit :P

I'm sure the folks participating over at Wildlands think it's legit.  I'm pretty sure the assumptions it's all built on are crap :)