What are we reading?

Started by Martok, March 05, 2012, 01:13:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bigglesworth

What a great title:

History's Most Insane Rulers: Lunatics, Eccentrics, and Megalomaniacs From Emperor Caligula to Kim Jong Il
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

mirth

Superstorm: Nine Days Inside Hurricane Sandy

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

Just started Japan 1941 by Eri Hotta.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

BanzaiCat

Martok

Lions of al-Rassan finally arrived at my library (about freakin' time! grr...).  It will have to wait, however, as I'd already started World War Z yesterday.  I'll admit to enjoying it so far. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

^I did too.

Is the lady in question named Sandy Vagina? Is she irritating?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Mr. Bigglesworth

Mr. Bigglesworth

Building: 3,000 Years of Design, Engineering, and Construction Paperback – May 25 2015

I had pre-ordered this, it arrived a couple days ago. I recommend it to Starfury and anybody else interested in the history of our built world.

Emeraldlis

Maybe these books have been mentioned , so I apologize if I'm repeating what's been said  :-\

Last year I read the coolest four books ever . The author is Brandon Sanderson and the series is called mistborn .
Book one - final empire , mistborn
Book two - the well of ascension
Book three-the hero of ages
Book four -the alloy of law : mistborn

I promise they are not girly books !!  They are set in a fantasy world and some of the people there have developed special skills called "coin shots" , they basically swallow different metals and burn them , and each metal gives them a special power , like seeing a situation in slow motion makes them able to fight there way out of trouble . It deals with the collapse of one over all ruler like a dictatorship , to a more conventional government with a king .
I started reading them on holiday , and spent most of my time "trying" to turn my kindle on my iPad off to get on with my holiday , and mostly failing !!   :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

MetalDog

Sanderson had the odious task of finishing that most repetitive and vile series The Eye of the World.  I felt sorry for him.  I heard he did well though.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Emeraldlis

Quote from: MetalDog on May 29, 2015, 07:10:33 PM
Sanderson had the odious task of finishing that most repetitive and vile series The Eye of the World.  I felt sorry for him.  I heard he did well though.

Haha , I've only so far read those four Sanderson books , so I'm not clued up on "the eye of the world"

He's a good writer though , so I'm gonna take your word for it that the guy did good  :coolsmiley:

Did you attempt to read that series and it put you off him as an author ?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

MetalDog

Robert Jordan wrote most of the Eye of the World stuff and died before he finished it.  Sanderson came in and finished it from Jordan's outlines and story ideas.  I just found that Jordan must have felt like he was getting paid by the word.  If he could describe something in 20 words, he would use 19 chapters to do it.  It got tedious QUICK!

Emeraldlis

Understood !! Say no more . I don't think realistically that's ever going to work drafting in another writer to finish off what was ultimately in the other guys head . It's kind of like "CGI" gone wrong , imagine if after Heath ledger died they tried to "CGI"  in a completely different actor ....we'd be like huh ?

Like you say MD , I hate books that don't keep the narrative flowing ...tedium is natures way of telling you something's cr*p and you need to move on !  ;D

Sounds like the publishing company just wanted to get the cash in anyway possible ...go figure ! I'm shocked and dismayed an author I like put his name to it  :knuppel2:

MetalDog

Well, there are a couple of fellows here who happen to think that Eye of the World is pretty good.  They acknowledge that there are some slow bits, but, overall, it was good and Sanderson did an admirable job filling in.  I don't subscribe to that theory.  So there's that.