Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Started by son_of_montfort, December 19, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

Alright. Thread derailed thanks to me. Let me steer it back on track with a legitimate question.

Does the game become boring considering the combat to be reality based where magic and magical items are missing? Its the quest for ever powerful artifacts that appeal to me in rpg's. Where is the draw here?

Jason, you know it. Some denominations have this. Some have that. But the Southern Baptist will always win out on fellowship dinners. I dare anyone to find better and more plentiful meals.

When dongles fly? - mirth

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Moreb on October 23, 2018, 01:35:25 PM

Does the game become boring considering the combat to be reality based where magic and magical items are missing? Its the quest for ever powerful artifacts that appeal to me in rpg's. Where is the draw here?

I don't feel like it becomes boring.  There's still an ability curve with gear, it's just not magic based.   You get bonuses to defense, stealth charisma ect based on what you're wearing. 

For example, a battered set of full plate won't protect you as well as brand new ornate Nuremberg plate.  You also won't get as far in conversation if you're wearing dirty, cheap armor as you will if you're wearing expensive gear that is commonly worn by noblemen.

Same goes for weapons.   Cheap, quickly produced swords/maces/axes meant for the rank and file aren't as good as the much more expensive and hard to get named weapons you get in the mid to late game.

Not all horses are created equal either, and you'll invest a lot in upgrading to better mounts and better gear for your mounts.

So, yes, you'll be regularly improving your arms and equipment. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

jamus34

Jason, you know it. Some denominations have this. Some have that. But the Southern Baptist will always win out on fellowship dinners. I dare anyone to find better and more plentiful meals.

I don't know, i hear those nihilists have nothing to give  :uglystupid2:
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

I burned out on this after about 10 hours. I'm sure I will go back to it eventually.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Moreb

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 23, 2018, 02:00:44 PM

I don't feel like it becomes boring.  There's still an ability curve with gear, it's just not magic based.   You get bonuses to defense, stealth charisma ect based on what you're wearing. 

For example, a battered set of full plate won't protect you as well as brand new ornate Nuremberg plate.  You also won't get as far in conversation if you're wearing dirty, cheap armor as you will if you're wearing expensive gear that is commonly worn by noblemen.

Same goes for weapons.   Cheap, quickly produced swords/maces/axes meant for the rank and file aren't as good as the much more expensive and hard to get named weapons you get in the mid to late game.

Not all horses are created equal either, and you'll invest a lot in upgrading to better mounts and better gear for your mounts.

So, yes, you'll be regularly improving your arms and equipment.

That's encouraging. I may have to grab this when it's on sale. Not that I have the time to play of course.

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2018, 02:15:36 PM
I burned out on this after about 10 hours. I'm sure I will go back to it eventually.

For a premium game that isn't long enough to justify the price IMO. Then again, I really have to like a game to invest a bunch of time into it.

Quote from: jamus34 on October 23, 2018, 02:11:54 PM

I don't know, i hear those nihilists have nothing to give  :uglystupid2:

Hehe. But they make the best paella around.

When dongles fly? - mirth

Toonces

I keep forgetting this game is even out there.  Next sale, I'm on this.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Gusington

Heh I bought it on sale and keep forgetting it's out there.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Toonces

Quote from: Toonces on November 02, 2018, 06:18:36 PM
I keep forgetting this game is even out there.  Next sale, I'm on this.

Whelp as most of you know this had a free weekend on Steam this past weekend.  I downloaded it (46GB! WTF?!) and finally booted it up on Sunday.   I didn't last more than 30 minutes.

There might be a good game in there, but I couldn't seem to get to it.  Immediately, and I mean instantly, I was over the entirely over long dialogue scene right at the beginning.  I mean WTF get on with it already.

Then, once I could finally start moving, for some unfathomable reason they included head bob.  Have I ever told you how headache and nausea inducing I find head bob?

But I fought through it, and went to see pa....and then I just kind of gave up because I was so utterly bored. 

I know, I didn't really give it a fair chance at all, and there is probably a way to mod out the head bob, but I just decided to bail.  I like the idea of the game, but...meh.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Bardolph

I played it about 5 hours over the free weekend and liked it well enough. I didn't buy it as I just subscribed to two games and want to spend my gaming time there for now but will keep an eye out for KCD when the fall sales roll around. I do have a thing for medieval history, which may have something to do with my patience for the pace and the few bugs I encountered.

ArizonaTank

I have started to play it. Maybe it is just a slow starter....but about 30 min in and the game is rubbing me the wrong way.

For a game advertised as an open world, I still haven't gotten off the rails.

The game is graphically wonderful, with some decent voice acting and there is a story there.

But at least 30 min in, I am still trying to get past "must do" things...and none of them are easy....many restarts....  not fun...   

I'll keep with it a bit longer...hopefully get off the rails soon...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: ArizonaTank on September 09, 2019, 10:59:05 PM
I have started to play it. Maybe it is just a slow starter....but about 30 min in and the game is rubbing me the wrong way.

For an a game advertised as open world, I still haven't gotten off the rails.

The game is graphically wonderful, with some decent voice acting and there is a story there.

But at least 30 min in, I am still trying to get past "must do" things...and none of them are easy....many restarts....  not fun...   

I'll keep with it a bit longer...hopefully get off the rails soon...
I absolutely hated this game. Everything about it. I didn't get out the first place, but the inane tasks just bored the shit out of me. Honestly I couldn't find a single thing I liked. Worst purchase ever for me.

Having said that - I've read many people getting out of the starting location and enjoying the crap out of this game - so perhaps stick with it and see how you go once you get outside - I've heard it really does open up.
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 10, 2019, 12:46:07 AM

Having said that - I've read many people getting out of the starting location and enjoying the crap out of this game - so perhaps stick with it and see how you go once you get outside - I've heard it really does open up.

It does.

The opening of the game is honestly really terrible.   It's more a prologue than even an actual part of the game.  Heck, the opening credits don't even come on until you've gotten over the entire Skalitz story and that takes a good couple of hours or more. 

Even once you get to the big city, Rattay, you really need to get past Henry's first battle before you can really begin to progress as you absolutely suck at combat until then. 

It's a shame because it put a lot of people off. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

I will be starting this soon-ish. I hope I am feeling patient when I do.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

My experience is that the game leans too heavily on its 'medieval life simulator' aspects at the beginning. You're weak and the game takes far too much time to show off its 'living world' aspects complete with dull daily life chores.

The game does open up after a while, but the combat remains hard as nails at first unless you can resort to stealing some good gear without being caught.

It does a great job at portraying medieval life and has a convincing living dynamic world, but they could have put more 'fun' into the game imo.
It's a technical marvel however and looks absolutely gorgeous, but I too, wish it was more fun to play.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Philippe

The opening sequence before the credits start running are essentially an extended tutorial that sets up the backstory.

The thing to remember about KCD when playing it for the first time is that Henry (the character that you play) is a peasant with no skills of any kind.  He isn't even any good at drinking, and that's an important skill too.

In the Skalitz sequence Henry stumbles around the village, familiarizing himself with a lot of people and places that he will run into later in the story.  He has absolutely no combat skills, doesn't really know how to ride a horse, and can't read.

The combat system in KCD is a little different from anything you've probably encountered.  The game has two modes: normal and hardcore.  I prefer hardcore, but do not, under any circumstances, attempt to play the game in hardcore until you've mastered the combat system in normal mode.  Among other things, normal mode gives you visual cues about when you should block or parry, and what attack you should make when and from what direction.  If  you haven't learned the visual cues and the attack and parry moves aren't part of your muscle memory, combat will seem like an un-satisfying and frustrating exercise in button-mashing.

Towards the end of the Skalitz sequence you will find yourself in a quest helpfully titled 'Run!'.  You will be unarmored but have a very good sword in your hand, and you may find yourself wondering whether fighting the single armored and (more importantly) fully trained soldier is a good idea.  It's not.  Later on you'll be able to take someone like that apart if you go up against them one-on-one, but at this point in the game you're supposed to run (hence the name of the quest).  Just to get the point across, when Henry was first introduced to the sword he was also shown a thin stick planted in the ground: the idea was to see if he could cut it in half, and he failed miserably.

The game may drive you to search the internet for videos on historical european martial arts.  If you watch enough of these you'll end up realizing that the game is grounded and based on HEMA rather than computer game conventions, and that accounts for a lot of the quirks.  KCD does a lot of things a bit differently from what you'd expect, and a lot of the complaints and frustration with the game come from people not coming to terms with the fact that you're supposed to play the game  by the developer's rules, not by what the player is used to doing in every other button-masher that he has played.  And by the way, once you get to about the middle of the game and have learned how it works, combat becomes easy.  And knowing when not to get involved in a fight in the first place helps a lot too.

One of the best features of the game is a marvelous Codex tab buried away in the information panels.  The Codex tab is basically an undergraduate course in 15th century Bohemian history and civilization. As you go through the game encountering new things, people, and concepts,  the Codex tab gets progressively fuller with more and more entries.  Because they throw things at you a little bit at a time it's not too hard to digest, and they only tell you what you really need to know. I'm really impressed by what's in there. And for those who don't remember, I met my ex-wife in a Medieval History class in college, and suffered through her doctoral dissertation on Benedictine monasticism (suffered because I had to translate all the French, Latin, and Greek that she needed).

This is a bit of a massive spoiler, but later on in the game Henry's investigation into a murder leads him to a remote village.  In the course of trying (and failing) to get the parish priest to violate the sanctity of the confessional, Henry ends up going on a bender with him on a Saturday night and they both wake up the next day, massively hung over.  Henry proceeds to try to help the priest get through celebrating mass without puking on the altar.   The resulting attempts at a sermon are probably the funniest thing I've ever encountered in a video game.  Any coffee that you're drinking will end up on your monitor.

Henry constantly needs to persuade people to do things, either to lower the price on the palacsintas he's haggling for in the market place, or to get someone to tell him something he needs to know.  You're not as good at talking people into things when you are blood-stained, mud-spattered, and look scruffy, and the best way to spruce yourself up is to visit one of the many bath houses.  Bath houses are staffed with cute female attendants who can also take care of other needs.  One of my favorite moments comes when you visit your girl-friend after you've been cavorting with the bath girls: she chews you out for frequenting whores because she can smell them on you.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.