Main Menu

2016 Baseball Thread

Started by Bison, January 06, 2016, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

I miss your use of the caps lock key.  :P

And actually yes a salary cap/bottom would address the Pohlad's of the world.  The other part of that is there is a difference between the personal wealth of an owner and the income that the team generates. 

MetalDog

All the caps were for emphasis, because I type like I talk.  And the 'you' I was making points about was the general you, not you specifically.  A salary floor would be dandy.  But with all things that have to be compromised, it will satisfy noone and there will be umpteen ways around implementing it.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Bison

I think for the fans.  Parity is key.  It doesn't matter if the game is broadcast at 1 PM or 9 PM.  There are a 161 of them in the season, some will be early and some will be late.  What doesn't change is that a shitty team will remain shitty and irrelevant for about 141 of those games. 

I wasn't offended by anything you said.  I JUST THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY!

MetalDog

I don't think parity works.  Using money as the barometer for fairness just doesn't do it.  There will still be disparities in personnel, management, and talent.

Just wait till you meet me.  The words come out of my mouth that way, too :)

Bison

Quote from: MetalDog on January 19, 2016, 11:03:34 PM
I don't think parity works.  Using money as the barometer for fairness just doesn't do it.  There will still be disparities in personnel, management, and talent.

Just wait till you meet me.  The words come out of my mouth that way, too :)

This is an issue separate from the salary cap.  Some teams are just managed better than other in any sport.

MetalDog

Your argument is a salary cap makes things fair and all better.  Mine is that money is a poor measure of parity and other factors will always win out.  How are they not related?  Or are you a politician and you just want to continue to confuse the issue ;)

Bison

Money is a measure of parity.  It doesn't make it fair in the sense you are implying.  It doesn't guarantee immediate or long term success.   It allows for teams to have an opportunity to sign talent competitively against all other teams.  Management is still going to be the deciding factor in the talent they retain or pursue. 

While I'm on a rant.  I do not want computer umpires behind home plate.  Human umpires are a part of the game.  I like that umpires have slightly different strike zones.  I say if you bring in a computer umpire, you might as well bring in a fucking pitching machine too.  God I hate technology encroaching into every facet of sport. 

Bison

Pete Rose will get into one Hall of Fame, just not Major League Baseball's. The Cincinnati Reds announced on Tuesday that Rose will be inducted into the team's Hall of Fame.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14600968/pete-rose-inducted-reds-hall-fame

It's time for sure.  He belongs in Canton too.  Put up a plaque right next to his bronzed one outlining his life long ban from baseball if you must, but he belongs in the HoF.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 19, 2016, 10:52:49 PM
I think for the fans.  Parity is key.  It doesn't matter if the game is broadcast at 1 PM or 9 PM.  There are a 161 of them in the season, some will be early and some will be late.

There are, at most, 7 World Series games.  It does matter when those are broadcast.  And yes, baseball has to be more flexible than football.  Baseball is the one losing viewers (esp younger ones) at an alarmingly fast rate.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

Should they show the game when half of the country is at work?  There is no easy time when the country spans 4 time zones.  I'll exclude Alaska and Hawaii from consideration for the sake of argument.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bison on January 20, 2016, 09:28:34 AM
Should they show the game when half of the country is at work?  There is no easy time when the country spans 4 time zones.  I'll exclude Alaska and Hawaii from consideration for the sake of argument.

No, I'm talking about weekends.  I get that Tuesday night you get a later start.  Saturday/Sunday World Series games should start NLT 1600 EST.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bison

It would run up against nfl and college football games, which I'm sure is a major consideration.  I wouldn't mind a weekend series game on in the afternoon, but what's worse trying to compete with the juggernaut of the national ESPN football league or playing an evening game in prime time?

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on January 18, 2016, 07:01:12 PM
The Orioles contract with Davis is ludicrous.   I'd love nothing more than to see a salary cap instituted into baseball.

I like it. Now if they would just sign Machado to a 5-6 year extension they would have a really solid nucleus to build around.

Hopefully the local bitch-fans will shut up about the team being to cheap to spend money.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Marty Ward

Quote from: MetalDog on January 18, 2016, 07:43:26 PM
I don't agree.  If you have a cap, there is only so much money, so, regardless of when a player comes up for free agency, you can only spend so much.  No cap, you spend whatever whenever.

They should have a minimum payroll but not a maximum.
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

Marty Ward

Quote from: Bison on January 19, 2016, 11:53:16 PM
Pete Rose will get into one Hall of Fame, just not Major League Baseball's. The Cincinnati Reds announced on Tuesday that Rose will be inducted into the team's Hall of Fame.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/14600968/pete-rose-inducted-reds-hall-fame

It's time for sure.  He belongs in Canton too.  Put up a plaque right next to his bronzed one outlining his life long ban from baseball if you must, but he belongs in the HoF.

It's his own fault he is not in. Personally I don't see the problem with betting on your own team to win but it is no secret that gambling on baseball is illegal and the penalty is pretty clear. It doesn't matter who you are, if you just plain want to ignore the rules that they go over each and every year in spring training then this is what you get.