Main Menu

Stellaris

Started by RedArgo, October 01, 2015, 01:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Really speaking my language PE. Is Stellaris EU in space or better?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on February 22, 2018, 02:49:03 PM

In my opinion, its not quite EU in space. I was hoping it would be, but it fell far short of that. However, the DLCs have slowly been working toward that.

At this point, its definitely an outstanding game in its own right.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

I really gotta stop reading these threads.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

PanzersEast

Quote from: bbmike on February 22, 2018, 02:36:27 PM
Do you have to use Sectors in this game? I never really figured them out.

Yes, you can still only directly control a certain amount of colonized systems if you go over you take a hit on influence and energy.  Sectors are are basically a AI governed area of space where you have limited say.... really the AI manages the planets for you.  If you have planets that are pretty much developed the way you like you can begin to put them in sectors.....  From there you can assign a sector governor and then some basic guidelines on how they should develop the sector but no real drill down specific development.

You will need to see how much they are developing and you may need to give them some energy and minerals to get over the hump.

Jarhead0331

I think a nice idea for a racial trait would be no sectors. Sort of like one giant hive or collective.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

PanzersEast

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 22, 2018, 02:52:25 PM
Quote from: Gusington on February 22, 2018, 02:49:03 PM

In my opinion, its not quite EU in space. I was hoping it would be, but it fell far short of that. However, the DLCs have slowly been working toward that.

At this point, its definitely an outstanding game in its own right.

2nd.... the new update has helped catapult it in that name sake.  The real focus was on the middle to late game, and dealing with some design flaws that did not work out.  For example eliminating the availability of creating monster killer hunter fleets.... you can no longer have those just roving around.... a better balance to the game overall.  Now with some more DLCs, that continue to build it will quickly get to EU status and already has much of the foundation there, just the EU has had a head start  ;)

solops

Playing Stellaris with Starlanes is way down on my list of things to do, well behind playing more Polaris Sector. But when I do I imagine the new fleet caps will be a potential issue as "doomstacking" is a viable strategy in real life as well as in some game situations. If I find it to be an issue, I got a solution which I share below, in case it is a problem for others:

steamapps\common\Stellaris\common\defines\00_defines.txt

lines 870+871:
COMMAND_LIMIT_MAX = 200 # Max value of Command Limit
COMMAND_LIMIT_BASE = 20 # Base value of Command Limit
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Jarhead0331

Wow. Its different.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

OJsDad

Yea, with the smaller borders, and the coast to expand, I'm thinking that raising the cost of tech and expanding out the timeframe for the crisis events, may be needed, if you want to have a larger empire. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mikeck

Quote from: solops on February 22, 2018, 05:33:16 PM
Playing Stellaris with Starlanes is way down on my list of things to do, well behind playing more Polaris Sector. But when I do I imagine the new fleet caps will be a potential issue as "doomstacking" is a viable strategy in real life as well as in some game situations. If I find it to be an issue, I got a solution which I share below, in case it is a problem for others:

steamapps\common\Stellaris\common\defines\00_defines.txt

lines 870+871:
COMMAND_LIMIT_MAX = 200 # Max value of Command Limit
COMMAND_LIMIT_BASE = 20 # Base value of Command Limit

But Polaris sector has star lanes...
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

solops

Yeah, that's the point. If I have to play with starlanes, then I like Polaris Sector better (arguably better than Stellaris with or without starlanes). Different FTL was one of the things that made Stellaris really buzz for me. Now they are gone and Stellaris is just one more of a host of the same old thing, though it is admittedly very well done.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Trooperc7

Im not sure i am liking the fact that colonization can only be done inside your own empire........really slows things down.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Trooperc7 on February 23, 2018, 07:13:38 AM
Im not sure i am liking the fact that colonization can only be done inside your own empire........really slows things down.

Ditto. I unquestionably preferred the old system. Im feeling like the star lane and new boundary systems are real steps backward. So far I'm finding  myself pretty disappointed.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Ian C

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 23, 2018, 07:24:26 AM
Quote from: Trooperc7 on February 23, 2018, 07:13:38 AM

Ditto. I unquestionably preferred the old system. Im feeling like the star lane and new boundary systems are real steps backward. So far I'm finding  myself pretty disappointed.

Same here. I feel like they broke the game. I've not followed the Paradox forum so I don't know why they made this decision to go with the starlane thing.

Rayfer

Quote from: Pete Dero on February 22, 2018, 11:45:35 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on February 22, 2018, 11:36:54 AM
Quote from: Rayfer on February 22, 2018, 11:31:30 AM
I want the new dlc but the $20.00 cost is disappointing. I'm not saying it isn't fair, it's just that my game-funds are limited. Will probably wait for the next round of sales.

My first reaction was also that the price may be a little high. $14.99 would probably have been the sweet spot.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/dlc/stellaris-apocalypse?aff_track=CJ

15% off and an extra 8% with the code LUNAR8 should get you around $15.

Thanks PD....got it for $15 and change.  The $5 difference may not seem like much but to some of us it is.