JTS -- Republican Bayonets on the Rhine -- RELEASED

Started by Cyrano, March 23, 2018, 09:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 21, 2018, 09:29:35 PM
Thanks appreciate it...was browsing over the blitz forum and seemed some folks were recommending as a good "starter" so I wasn't sure.  I guess for now I will be watching this thread for impressions:)

Some more impressions: maybe I should read the manual.  8 pdr (French pounds so 9 pdrs) have ranges of 13 hexes suggesting the hexes are 100 meters, but skirmishers are hitting people at 300 meters!  That may be Prussians with rifles or something, if such a thing is possible in 1792.
As for a starter:  good for Napoleonics as a starter (Text-book Prussian attack on a village with an infantry column backed up by skirmishers and artillery taught me a lot and killed my Major-General and routed seemingly high-quality French troops).  Now the Prussians are in various linear formations driving back my 3rd-rate dragoons.

MengJiao

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 21, 2018, 07:26:35 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on April 21, 2018, 01:24:23 PM
Quote from: nelmsm on March 23, 2018, 10:44:38 PM
Was a playtester on this one. You're going to like it.

Wow!  I just bought this and it looks truly fantastic!  Which reminds me I've loved the whole series for the last 15-20 years!

Hey and in this set you get the first use of aerial recon (balloons) in battle (Fleurus, Summer of 1794)

Be interested in your impressions...I keep wanting to give Tiller games a shot again, but for some reason they don't stick with me.  Does anything about this game have a chance to change my mind?

I'm not sure if it would change your mind about the John Tiller Ensemble -- but it is a pretty good 18th century battle engine -- the rout logic is the best I've ever seen.  Even better than FOGII.  The cavalry skirmishing works well and the artillery is impressive.  Anyway, a big melee can clear a whole village in 10 minutes and leave the French skirmishers running for cover.  Very nice!  Then the Prussians advance until the French Skirmishers rally and the French artillery kicks in whereupon the Prussian skirmishers run away.

On the other hand the wild weirdness of this early period is pretty overwhelming and the game package has a huge number of scenarios and campaigns -- all a bit much for a starter set.

Grim.Reaper

Thanks, appreciate the additional thoughts....maybe I will venture in at some point.  Just curious, I see the Waterloo version demo, is it safe to assume fairly similar to that or has there been further advances in the gameplay since then?

Cyrano

Waterloo is set to current standard.  Each game has variations in the underlying data files to accommodate each designer's take on the campaign.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806