Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Congrats on the Nubian capital! -- I noticed they were asking me for peace this past turn, and since I wasn't really at war with them I meant to agree (and maybe pick up some legacy bonus), but got distracted by plotting and forgot to do it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

al_infierno

Dear lord.  I don't know how long my latest opium coma lasted but I don't recognize this world anymore.   :hide:

I have no clue what the computer was doing with my armies in my absence but it looks like my war with Massaesylia is slowly grinding away to no result.  Mauretania is descending on me with a big army that they've apparently been building up for the last 3 or so decades that I've been blockading them and forgetting I'm at war with them.  Whoops.   #:-)
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

devoncop

Quote from: al_infierno on October 19, 2019, 03:20:24 PM
Dear lord.  I don't know how long my latest opium coma lasted but I don't recognize this world anymore.   :hide:

I have no clue what the computer was doing with my armies in my absence but it looks like my war with Massaesylia is slowly grinding away to no result.  Mauretania is descending on me with a big army that they've apparently been building up for the last 3 or so decades that I've been blockading them and forgetting I'm at war with them.  Whoops.   #:-)

I did wonder what was happening with Carthage !!
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

Quote from: devoncop on October 20, 2019, 11:38:01 AM
Quote from: al_infierno on October 19, 2019, 03:20:24 PM

I did wonder what was happening with Carthage !!

Being honest, I had this last week off from work and have absolutely no excuse for neglecting my beautiful merchant republic  :(  I stopped receiving email updates for this game a while back and kinda forgot about it for a solid 2-3 weeks.  Looks like I've taken control just in time to prevent get stomped by my angry AI neighbors to the west  :knuppel2:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

That's interesting: we're discussing in the other thread whether the system sends out email updates, and Barthheart and I couldn't remember if we ever got them from our games (on an earlier version of Matrixlitherine's PBEM++ system) of Decisive Campaigns against each other. Part of me seems to remember getting email alerts that it was my turn, and another part of my brain is sure I didn't.  ???

I am, however, sure I'm not getting email alerts for either of the FoGEmp mp games I'm currently in.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

devoncop

The Egyptian Royal Army has wiped out the Qatabans.

The Saba are free to expand at last :-)

...Note to Jason......give me 2 turns to get my army out of the Gulf and fill you boots  :) :bd:

JasonPratt

Interesting! -- the Qats had just tried to retake their capital area, and got punched a little by the crew I had left behind. I was about to march back in and thwack them with a superior stack while they didn't have backup from garrisons sallying out to help them.

I haven't checked my turn this morning, so I don't know the details yet, but hopefully I kind of helped.  ::)

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on October 28, 2019, 11:45:16 AM
Interesting! -- the Qats had just tried to retake their capital area, and got punched a little by the crew I had left behind. I was about to march back in and thwack them with a superior stack while they didn't have backup from garrisons sallying out to help them.

I haven't checked my turn this morning, so I don't know the details yet, but hopefully I kind of helped.  ::)

Yeah it was a combination punch that finally finished them I think!

A couple of units may be at sea so I have sent a fleet down the Red Sea to try and finish them off .

JasonPratt

Yeesh, I haven't done a poem update in... weeks? In my defense, I've been fighting off a head cold (no fever but everything else).

Skipping the poem this time, since I can't think through snot in my brain -- but I've now recaptured all positions previously taken by the late Qats, so I'm peaceing out with Egypt, Dev.  O:-)

I'm glad to leave one southwest Arabian port region as tribute, and I'll be able to pick up a large inland oasis area for my "provincial" Arabia Felix soon. Hopefully Arabia will peace with me, too, once we arrange things back to cooperation and alliance, but we'll see. Having them as a buffer between me and the Selucids isn't exactly a bad thing!

Since you don't want monetary gifts as thanks, is there anything you'd like me to be helping with in other regards? (Once I finish consolidating me recaptured areas I mean?) I'm thinking of taking up the rest of southern Arabia while I have a chance before the eponymous "Arabs" get it ;) , and then picking up spares of Abyssinia before working my way into the southern part of the Africa map. But if you have other preferences, let me know!

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 03, 2019, 04:56:48 PM
Yeesh, I haven't done a poem update in... weeks? In my defense, I've been fighting off a head cold (no fever but everything else).

Skipping the poem this time, since I can't think through snot in my brain -- but I've now recaptured all positions previously taken by the late Qats, so I'm peaceing out with Egypt, Dev.  O:-)

I'm glad to leave one southwest Arabian port region as tribute, and I'll be able to pick up a large inland oasis area for my "provincial" Arabia Felix soon. Hopefully Arabia will peace with me, too, once we arrange things back to cooperation and alliance, but we'll see. Having them as a buffer between me and the Selucids isn't exactly a bad thing!

Since you don't want monetary gifts as thanks, is there anything you'd like me to be helping with in other regards? (Once I finish consolidating me recaptured areas I mean?) I'm thinking of taking up the rest of southern Arabia while I have a chance before the eponymous "Arabs" get it ;) , and then picking up spares of Abyssinia before working my way into the southern part of the Africa map. But if you have other preferences, let me know!

No problem though it is actually better if you take the remaining port region as well as it doesn't really contribute much and just generates a bit of decadence.

When you are able it would be great to see if you can take out Abyssinia and what is left of Nubia so I don't have to worry about the south....then we may be able to expand elsewhere :-)

JasonPratt

Will do, though first I'm going to pick up the rest of Arabia so the Arabs don't get it. ;)

Um, don't accept peace yet though, if you're going to give me the final port area!

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 04, 2019, 09:47:01 AM
Will do, though first I'm going to pick up the rest of Arabia so the Arabs don't get it. ;)

Um, don't accept peace yet though, if you're going to give me the final port area!
[/quote

Change of plan !

Ethiopia has just offered me an alliance so my South is secured....

I will let you take the port area then we can leave out. If any of my allies stay at war with you I will try instructing them to make peace with you.

I am thinking we maybe need to be looking East rather than West given the Legacy scores...😉

JasonPratt

Nice! -- let me know if things change.

Orientation eastward will fit with my southern consolidation plans anyway.

JasonPratt

So, since Arabia insisted on staying at war with me, I decided to loop my superstack around counter-clockwise to hit Arabia from the other angle.

This should have worked, and it would have, except for Arabia having two superstacks instead of one.  #:-)

The only good news is that they combined superstacks to counter-roll me back to my capital, rather than giving me a classic Montgomery pincer attack which would have been fatal. Also, I'm going to try a left jab at their capital while they're busy molesting my newly acquired lands -- through which their superstack will have to march at terrifying levels of attrition, mua ha ha haaaa.

Thus does the deepness of my strategy become apparent.

Step one: take a bunch of unsupportable regions to invade Arabia from a much longer roundabout direction.

Step two: aggro Arabia thereby into counter-punching me.

Step three: my army melts away as they draw back to my capital.

Step four: their army melts away as they try to invade my capital, hopefully ignoring the rich undefended coastal lands I've built up and/or taken from Qatabia with the help of Arabia's human ally. (This step may need some adjustment now that I think of it.)

Step five: rebuild an invasion force for a shorter thrust to their capital.

Step six: ?? ?? ??

Step seven: profit?

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on November 25, 2019, 02:29:00 PM
So, since Arabia insisted on staying at war with me, I decided to loop my superstack around counter-clockwise to hit Arabia from the other angle.

This should have worked, and it would have, except for Arabia having two superstacks instead of one.  #:-)

The only good news is that they combined superstacks to counter-roll me back to my capital, rather than giving me a classic Montgomery pincer attack which would have been fatal. Also, I'm going to try a left jab at their capital while they're busy molesting my newly acquired lands -- through which their superstack will have to march at terrifying levels of attrition, mua ha ha haaaa.

Thus does the deepness of my strategy become apparent.

Step one: take a bunch of unsupportable regions to invade Arabia from a much longer roundabout direction.

Step two: aggro Arabia thereby into counter-punching me.

Step three: my army melts away as they draw back to my capital.

Step four: their army melts away as they try to invade my capital, hopefully ignoring the rich undefended coastal lands I've built up and/or taken from Qatabia with the help of Arabia's human ally. (This step may need some adjustment now that I think of it.)

Step five: rebuild an invasion force for a shorter thrust to their capital.

Step six: ?? ?? ??

Step seven: profit?

Your plan sounds a little like this clip from "A Princess Bride"
https://youtu.be/9mTlnrXFAXE
;D
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln