steel beasts 4.1 upgrade pre order available

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 29, 2019, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

al_infierno

General question for people on this board:  Roughly how many hours did it take to go from "what the hell am I doing" to "hey I'm actually having fun!" for this sim?
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: al_infierno on June 30, 2019, 02:19:54 AM
General question for people on this board:  Roughly how many hours did it take to go from "what the hell am I doing" to "hey I'm actually having fun!" for this sim?

i have owned it for many years....i had fun with it right from the start, but still likely don't know how to do everything:)  i am not as good as others, nor likely as serious, but i have always felt i got my money worth even with the high prices.  if your not sure, they have various time based licenses you could try first for cheaper initially.

jomni

Just shoot at the targets in the training range. It's a lot of fun.

smithcorp

Its not too daunting actually. There's good tutorials in the sim and a welcoming, helpful and mature online community (and online is the best way to get good). I've been playing on and off (mix of SP and regular MP) since 2006. I would not consider myself good even now, but it only took a few weeks to get the hang of the sim and how to stay alive in it.

Jarhead0331

So what exactly is new? I haven't been able to find a concise change log anywhere.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grim.Reaper

They said release notes in near future but believe this is largely the enhanced terrain features they were supposed to deliver with the last upgrade

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 30, 2019, 02:04:19 PM
They said release notes in near future but believe this is largely the enhanced terrain features they were supposed to deliver with the last upgrade

Wasn't that enhanced terrain to be released for free to owners of 4.0?

Yskonyn

Pete, yes, but check their forum quite an extensive thread(s) about it.

Engineer functionality is new (or expanded); you can dig those tank emplacements with engineer units now.

Several new units will be added (dutch gear! yay!).

New (deformable) terrain engine.

Full suspension animations (or was that already in last upgrade?)

New tracer effects

New fragmentation calculation system (new HE modelling)

New environmental engine ((sun)light, water, weather)

New Anti-Air options and Programmable Ordnance

Better pathfinding for AI

"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 30, 2019, 04:03:44 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on June 30, 2019, 02:04:19 PM

Wasn't that enhanced terrain to be released for free to owners of 4.0?

Originally yes, but not anymore....something about took longer and harder than they thought

Destraex

"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Toonces

I have never gotten my money's worth out of Steel Beasts.  I keep paying for the upgrades, I play it for an hour or so and decide that this is going to be the time when I learn the game properly....and then I forget all about it.

I think maybe I'll just pass this time and stick with the numerous "lite" tanks sims.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Destraex on June 30, 2019, 05:30:45 PM
Unlike tank crew they have infantry.

Who whoa whoa. Let's pump the brakes on that

ATGM, LMG, HMG, AGLs, are all playable infantry units, and very nice to have because you have the freedom to operate them as a playable entity.

Riflemen, on the other hand, are not good. They can't be directly  controlled and suffer big problems when it comes to effectively engaging anything.

It's really unfortunate, because it's such an immersion killer.

Yskonyn

Apoc, the Rifleman issue was something that got better with 4.0 didn't it?