steel beasts 4.1 upgrade pre order available

Started by Grim.Reaper, June 29, 2019, 10:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on June 30, 2019, 05:30:45 PM
Unlike tank crew they have infantry.

At least Tank Crew actually has crew manning the tanks.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Apocalypse 31

Quote from: Yskonyn on July 01, 2019, 01:50:18 AM
Apoc, the Rifleman issue was something that got better with 4.0 didn't it?

No. The video above is from 4.0.

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Toonces on June 30, 2019, 07:51:27 PM
I have never gotten my money's worth out of Steel Beasts.  I keep paying for the upgrades, I play it for an hour or so and decide that this is going to be the time when I learn the game properly....and then I forget all about it.

I think maybe I'll just pass this time and stick with the numerous "lite" tanks sims.

I have a feeling I would fall into this category. I am not sure I agree with games being sold using the "Software as a Service" model. If it works for the SB folks, more power to them but I do suspect it may be impacting sales at some level. SaaS for things like Windows, Office, etc. where you are constantly using the software is one thing......games...not so much.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: DoctorQuest on July 01, 2019, 10:59:56 AM
I have never gotten my money's worth out of Steel Beasts.  I keep paying for the upgrades, I play it for an hour or so and decide that this is going to be the time when I learn the game properly....and then I forget all about it.

I think maybe I'll just pass this time and stick with the numerous "lite" tanks sims.

I have a feeling I would fall into this category. I am not sure I agree with games being sold using the "Software as a Service" model. If it works for the SB folks, more power to them but I do suspect it may be impacting sales at some level. SaaS for things like Windows, Office, etc. where you are constantly using the software is one thing......games...not so much.

This issue, not unlike the Battlefront DRM issue, has been beaten to a bloody pulp...I happen to agree with you, but just wait until Ssnake shows up to set you straight.  :crazy2:
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

stolypin

Quote from: al_infierno on June 30, 2019, 02:19:54 AM
General question for people on this board:  Roughly how many hours did it take to go from "what the hell am I doing" to "hey I'm actually having fun!" for this sim?

As life gets shorter, this is the leading question I have for every game, computer or board. 

DoctorQuest

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on July 01, 2019, 11:12:02 AM

This issue, not unlike the Battlefront DRM issue, has been beaten to a bloody pulp...I happen to agree with you, but just wait until Ssnake shows up to set you straight.  :crazy2:

Copy that. I'll put my bloody baseball bat away now.  :bd:
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Redwolf

I'm normally a DRM basher (see the CMx2 patch thread right now).

However, I think the hardware token method is a lot better than all the DRM that is activation driven, and by a lot:
- as long as the hardware key doesn't break you can play forever
- if you change hardware or move to a new computer you would normally have to use up an activation. And obviously if the vendor went away you are unable to play. The hardware token is much better here since you can play whereever you drag the token to

Now, the remaining problem is the token breaking after the vendor goes away. So it is not really fulfilling the "I own" premise. But you have the time between the vendor going away and the token breaking that is play time you don't have with the regular DRM insanity. Also, this makes it more similar to a physical "I own" item. If I own an ipod out of warranty and I physically break it the situation is similar.

Grim.Reaper

update on release date from developer....

Okay, I can now confirm that 4.1 Release Day will be
not before Monday 22nd
probably on Wednesday 24th
no later than Monday 29th
 Final build will be this week, then there's one week for final tests and production of the bundles, commissioning the bundles, shipping.

Grim.Reaper

Skoop

That was a very convoluted release notes, would have been nice to get a quick summary page instead of wading through that whole thing.

I did notice they listed the Armata AFV as a "new system", are those crewable  ? 

Either way, that would be some interesting match ups with the M1 SEP.  Interesting to see if Steel Beasts makes the Armata as good as the Russians say it is or if it's just hype. 

Grim.Reaper

The new map installer will be made available tomorrow to download...large file of 30+GB I believe.  Kind of a preload before the actual new version is released next Monday.

Grim.Reaper

maps available for pre load

https://www.esimgames.com/?page_id=1607

new game version releases monday

*** In total maps were about 13GB to download, thought I had read somewhere a lot bigger but maybe that is after they are expanded....didn't take much time at all.  Just now need the main game files on Monday:)

Pete Dero

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on July 29, 2019, 03:10:42 AM
and version 4.1 and day one patch

https://www.steelbeasts.com/topic/13009-4156-preliminary-download-links/

SB Pro PE Maps Installer – to install, download all the archives below to the same folder, along with the maps installer executable.  Then run the maps installer executable once all the files have finished downloading,.

-> 10 files

SB Pro Maps Download Manager

This tool is used to get maps from the eSimGames map server.

SB Pro Maps Downloader v17

-> 1 file

Is SB Pro Maps Downloader an alternative to downloading the 10 files (SP Pro PE Maps Installer) or is this an extra thing you need ?