Anno 1800 - anyone tried it?

Started by JudgeDredd, April 14, 2019, 11:44:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

What's the series like? Seems like it might be a bit like Civilisation but I'm not sure.

Anyone tried the beta of 1800?
Alba gu' brath

devoncop

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 14, 2019, 11:44:11 AM
What's the series like? Seems like it might be a bit like Civilisation but I'm not sure.

Anyone tried the beta of 1800?

Nothing like Div series.

It is basically a more involved city builder than something like Tropico.

The 1800 iteration is very good to look at. The mechanics are very similar to Anno 1404 which is an old game available for pennies and regarded as the benchmark for the series .

I would say buy 1404 and see what you think or watch one of the You Tube let's plays for Anno 1800.
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

Pete Dero

A let's try by Quill

Lowest price (for Europe) : https://www.voidu.com/en/anno-1800-  (43 € -20% / use code gamingtime)

Game won't be available for sale on Steam after launch (don't know about other resellers).

https://www.pcgamesn.com/anno-1800/steam

Ubisoft's Anno 1800 is the latest game to drop from Steam in favour of the Epic Games store.

Anguille

Would love to but not going to buy anything by Ubisoft anymore.

Gusington

1404 is a huge game...tons of scenarios, etc.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

Thanks all. I'm trying the beta just now.

We'll see.
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

Please post what you think - been looking forward to this one.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

I played the beta. Its very addictive and it looks great. Very high-quality and well-polished.

I am, however, very disappointed that there is only naval combat. No troops for taking islands... :'(

Not sure if I'm going to buy on day one, or if I'll wait for some DLCs.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on April 14, 2019, 04:28:15 PM
Naval combat between steamships?

Yes....and ships of sail too. It's very basic though. Anno has never been a combat game. Its all about city building, supply chains, making citizens happy in order to upgrade them, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

em2nought

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 14, 2019, 04:42:05 PM
Quote from: Gusington on April 14, 2019, 04:28:15 PM
Naval combat between steamships?

Yes....and ships of sail too. It's very basic though. Anno has never been a combat game. Its all about city building, supply chains, making citizens happy in order to upgrade them, etc.

I guess we'll just have to wait for Ultimate Admiral.
Stolen elections have consequences.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Gusington on April 14, 2019, 03:21:30 PM
Please post what you think - been looking forward to this one.
I didn't get enough time with the beta to make a decision really - late joining it.

It did look beautiful.

Is it just me or is it "akin" to Cities Skylines? CS was a city builder, upgrading buildings, public buildings, important buildings, transport etc. I know this has trade and production so it's probably more in-depth...but none the less, it's along the same lines, yes?

NM - it's actually like a ton of games (mechanics wise) which is fine because that's standard fair (starter buildings, upgrading, resources requiring specific buildings etc)...but it's pretty indepth looking at Quill's intro video (thanks for the link Pete)
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

i wasn't even remotely interested in this game, builder type games always sound great but never last long for me.  however, looking at a few videos here and there have me rethinking my stance.  i must stay strong and just wait fir some future sale:)

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 15, 2019, 04:15:12 AM
i wasn't even remotely interested in this game, builder type games always sound great but never last long for me.  however, looking at a few videos here and there have me rethinking my stance.  i must stay strong and just wait fir some future sale:)
Yeah I loved Cities Skylines, Civ games, Stellaris. I know they're all different in some way, shape and form, but a key theme is "building and expanding" and I do eventually get tired of the process.

This does look very deep. I would say though it looks the same as Cities Skylines in that I would be forever fretting about my layout. Also, things were happening at a fairly quick pace last night in the BETA - playing the campaign as opposed to the free mode.

I'm on the fence at the moment...but there is some draw there (I just know I'm going to give in  :'( )
Alba gu' brath

Pete Dero

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 15, 2019, 05:01:44 AM
I'm on the fence at the moment...but there is some draw there (I just know I'm going to give in  :'( )