Today's Feature: Unboxing Mare Nostrum from Academy Games

Started by bayonetbrant, August 30, 2016, 07:01:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

egg_salad

Nice.  Too bad I can't unsee the Turkey thing on the map.

Still, I've heard good things about this game.  I need to play my copy.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Nefaro

QuoteThe dice are Roman numerals.  Not sure how annoying that'll be yet.

I've seen people complain about it before, in other games such as the Valley Games version of Republic Of Rome.  But it was obvious they never learned Roman Numerals in school... because our Education System began cutting corners years ago (poor millennials).

I didn't have a problem with rolling a few d6s having Roman Numerals.  I mean..  it's only low denominations so it's no biggie, and I think it adds to the atmosphere a little.  If we were rolling multiple d20s, or even d10s, with them then it would probably start to get annoying for me.  Everyone has their sweet spot.

As for the new Mare Nostrum, it had been on my pre-order wishlist for quite awhile.  Unfortunately, I don't think it would get played much, if at all, in a group.  Nice to get a "quick look" though.  Thanks!

bbmike

I didn't think I would have much interest in this but that looks really cool! Looking forward to a review of game play.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak