Halloween

Started by besilarius, September 10, 2019, 05:53:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

besilarius

https://www.geeksofdoom.com/2019/10/01/book-review-necronomnomnom-recipes-hp-lovecraft

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits dreaming... about tasty food and drinks."

Apparently, the recipes are pretty good, and the humor fair.  Something for the cultist in your life.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

besilarius

"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"With your eyes closed?"

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Gusington

^Potentially the greatest thing ever.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

RommelFox

The Exorcist is definitely creepy.  The Exorcisim of Emily Rose had me looking over my shoulder for a little bit.   
My ancient Egypt site:
Gods and Pharaohs

Gusington

How is that movie? Worth a watch? It always shows up in my Netflix queue.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

I watched, "Overlord" the other night on EPIX. Not a bad Nazi-Zombie-killing movie at all and a few moderately scary scenes. Nothing shit-your-pants worthy but you might throw an F-Bomb out involuntarily.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

airboy

We are considering going to Universal Studios - Orlando for their haunted houses the week of Halloween.  Of greatest interest to us is the Zombieland, Ghostbusters, Stranger Things, and Universal Monsters houses.

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

JasonPratt

This is an epic dramatic audio production of, what I'm sure is a very fake, story, set about an hour's highway drive south of the Tennessee border, just below the Holly Springs National Forest, in Taylor Mississippi, 1948.

It would make a great film; and recently the author(s) at the original channel for it (Dark Waters, though it can be found lots of places now), did create a comic book miniseries for it!

Dogman / werewolf stories have been getting more popular in the past twenty-ish years, though there isn't nearly as much solid (or even coherent) evidence out there as for Bigfoot.

The drama runs for about an hour, so enjoy!

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

^I need some time to watch that.

Overlord looked pretty good to me but I remember thinking it also looked very gory...is it?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

besilarius

"With your eyes closed?"

Sir Slash

OK. Close enough now for a spooky Halloween story. My first serious job was at the local state mental hospital back in 1974, a huge place with then over 1000 patients. I worked in the Medical Building, a large 3-story building with 3 male and 3 female wards along with offices, X-Ray, the Lab, etc.

When our patients became sick, injured, or just too old for general population, they came to us. And in those days before hospice, a lot spent their final days there. It wasn't unusual for our clients to expire there, it happened a lot. Over the years, as the facility down-sized, all the wards were closed in Medical however, the Infirmary remained open. On the first floor, it was where patients sick or recovering from injury or surgery were placed until they could return to general population or be discharged. It remained open until the facility closed in 2002.

I moved on in 2002 but returned to the facility my last 6 months, for the Dept. of Juvenile Justice before retiring in 2010. When I came back I was told this story by a RN Supervisor second-hand but a very reliable source not given to making things up or joking around.

The head of the facility Security Dept., a 20-year veteran of the Boston Police Dept. told her after the Medical building was closed and empty his officers doing grounds patrol began to see figures inside the Infirmary part of the Med building moving about inside or standing at the windows or banging on the windows as if trying to get out. When they went inside to check it out, they could never find anyone inside nor any sign of entry. The assumption was some kids from the Housing Unit close by had found a way in and was playing pranks on them. But they never saw anyone entering or leaving the building. And no signs of how they were getting inside.

This continued for some time and became such a regular occurrence that the Head of the Security Dept. himself determined to put an end to it. He took a team of officers over and went through the entire building, all 3 floors, checked every window and made sure every door in the whole building was closed and locked including 2 heavy wooden doors that lead into the old Infirmary part. Thinking he had finally put an end to this affair they left.

Later that evening officers on patrol again saw figures at the windows of the Infirmary section as they patrolled. When they entered to check it out, they found the doors leading into the Infirmary section broken open from the inside, one knocked off it's hinges. Again no one was found inside and no sign of entry into the building. At this point the Dept. Head told them to leave the building as it was, lock the door behind them and don't go back inside which they were very happy to do.

That's where the story ends. No other reports were made about it, and Administration wanted no further discussion of it. When I returned there was no longer a Security Dept. and no grounds patrol. The facility was part of Juvenile Justice Dept. then and thankfully for me when I got off work at 11pm, I had an alternate route off-grounds so I never had to go near the old Med Building but I did pass it when I returned to fill-out Retirement papers my last trip out there. As I drove by, very close to those Infirmary windows, part of me wanted to look. But I will tell you all honestly, I didn't even glance that way and damned sure didn't slow down. My Spooky Halloween Story.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.