Dominions 3 Middle Age "GROGHAMMER" game [running]

Started by JasonPratt, April 03, 2013, 10:16:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

REGISTRATIONS CLOSED

(Yskonyn is currently running a Late Age and a Early Age game; but has said that he's too busy to admin or (if I recall correctly) even play a third game for the Middle Ages of Dominions 3.

Undercovergeek is also running a delayed AAR thread on the Grogheads Early Age game if members want to look more closely at how things work here.)

(Note: the parallel thread at Wargamers is here.)

Last update: April 12, 2013

Host:PBEM Llamaserver.
Official game name: GROGHAMMER!!
Map: Faerun 466 No specials
How Often on Turns: standard 48 hours to turn 20, slowing down to 72 hours late game if necessary.
Number of Players: 21 registered
Mods:  CBM 1.94 mod (if we agree).

I also personally use the Streamers and Standards Mod (llamabeast version), Upgraded Sprites Mod  and the Community Sprites Mod. These are not necessary for the game however, and you do not have to install them, at your preference.
You can download Yskon's modfolder from here: Mods Folder.

Non-Standard Settings: Special Site freq. 45%, Hall of Fame entries 15, Renaming is allowed, No graphs, Independents 7
Victory Conditions: Whoever reaches 14 victory points first. Victory points are only found in capitols, and the player must hold all 14 simultaneously. A shared victory alliance is also allowed: all remaining factions have agreed to share victory and not continue the game. (Note that as a dominating faction approaches 14 points, the remaining factions may request an extension if by alliance or alliances they still think they have a chance against someone who has probably already taken 2/3 of a very large map.)
Diplomacy Policy: None; do as you wish, keeping in mind consequences in future games, as well as later in that game (if you stab someone early, any alliance later in that game is likely to prove less trustworthy). Trades should be fulfilled
Cheesy Tricks: New players won't know them and won't be ready for them. This is things like sending 50 bad items to someone right as they put up forge of the ancients to make them waste gems; using scouts to constantly siege someone's fortress; and there are probably a few others I historically read about but have since forgotten.

To make it easier for players to find topics for future reference, I shall label them as giant questions.

WHO ARE THE PLAYERS AND WHAT ARE THEIR FACTIONS/NATIONS?

PLAYERS: NATIONS
Beezelboss: Pythium (snaky angelic Romans)
Bison: Caelum (icy winged humans)
Byrdman57: Eriu (human elf-heirs but non-shooty)
Claes: Mictlan (bloody Aztecs)
Elitesix: Atlantis (like Davy Jones' crew from the movies)
Huw the Poo: Arcoscephale (not-especially-mythological ancient Greece)
JasonPratt: Oceana (mythy Greek underwater)
King of the Scots: T'ien Chi (ancient Chinese secret humans)
Lunaje: Marignon (holy flaming Spanish Inquisition)
mkivcs: Ermor (Roman Empire becoming undead)
Myrmidon: Ulm (Germanic humans dressed like Panzers)
Ogaburan: Ashdod (Middle Eastern heirs to giants)
Philippe: Abyssia (squishy fire and blood humans + lizards)
Phobos: Shinuyama (pre-samurai Japanese goblins)
PsiSoldier: R'yleh (crazy evil underwater psi soldiers)(no relation)(hopefully)
ScottWAR: Man's Tower of Avalon (shooty English heirs to the elves)
tkati: Pangaea (mythic Grecian troops)
Ubercat: Jotenheim (frost giants and witches)
Undercovergeek: Machaka (zulu spider witches)(damn if that doesn't sound awesome!)
Vlam: Agartha (underground golem makers with some cave giants)
W8aminute: Vanheim (vikings, dwarves, Norse elven giants)

GAMESTART CRITERIA!! -- THE GAME WILL START ONCE THE FINAL REGISTERED PLAYER SUBMITS HIS PRETENDER!!

The original post was too long to include the players:nations list, so I've moved a whole bunch of anticipated questions (including how to play it by email) down here.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

byrdman57

I'm in! I still need to look into the nations though; never played in the middle ages before.

Ubercat

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Vlam

Good job dude!

I'm in too, my first MA game ever.
I'll go with MA Agartha.

Huw the Poo

Nice work Jason.  I already have two games on the go so I'll skip this one, but you guys are going to have a blast!

JasonPratt

Some Anticipated Questions (the original post was too long for me to add players and factions!--so I moved most of its material down here.)

HOW MANY PLAYERS WILL WE HAVE?

As many as who want to play. I think there's a hard limit of 25 players per game, but I'll look into that.

WHAT MAP WILL WE USE?

Since this is a choice that has, by direct experiment, delayed game start more than any other, I will exercise admin priv and answer, "Whichever map I damn well want to use."  ;D

I won't settle on that until I have an idea of how many people will be in the game, however. Also, if someone has a problem with a map I suggest, I'll try another suggestion.

After that I'll post instruction on how to get and use the chosen map. Until then don't worry about it.

CAN WE HAVE A GAME WITH TWO OR ALL THREE AGES?

Technically yes, but I'm unsure how to set one up on Llama yet. I'll investigate for future reference.

WILL WE HAVE A-I OPPONENTS?

Probably not since this game is for newbies, but I'm not against getting a map big enough for all the slots to be filled out by AI (so that all factions will play in the game).

CAN WE PLAY UNDERWATER FACTIONS?

Underwater factions have special advantages and difficulties, making them especially easy and especially hard for new players, while also being especially hard for new players to deal with while being especially easy for experienced players to exploit.

So I'm inclined to say, if someone wants to play an underwater faction, that person is banned from all alliances and shall be the target of every other player. Fair?

WHAT ARE THE MIDDLE AGE FACTIONS ANYWAY?

I'll have a new post on that soon.

IS THIS GAME FRIENDLY FOR NEWBIES?

Note 1.1: Please mind that this is supposed to be a newbie friendly game, so leave the stronger nations for the newbies and be so kind as to choose a weaker nation if you have enough experience with Dom 3. We should all be able to learn from each other. (Also note however that some factions are so overpowered or hated that everyone will instantly ally against them, so an experienced player may prefer to go "contra mundum" with those.)

WHAT DOES "INDEPENDENT 7" MEAN AND WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT?

Note 1.2: That "Independent" level of 7 means there will likely be some fairly strong bandits infesting unclaimed territories. While they won't go out and attack, this will make expansion difficult at first and provide buffers between factions. This can help new players survive longer (by insulating them from other factions who are more of a threat), but on the other hand you may get trounced badly while trying to expand and end up well behind the improvement curve. As with just about everything in this game there are pros and cons to everything, but this leads to the question of when/how to quit.

CAN I, THE PLAYER, QUIT WHENEVER I WISH?

Note 1.3: If you think your situation is hopeless, convert your side to an AI faction, or if you don't know how email me (or post here on the thread) and I'll admin your faction over into the AI. Don't just ignore the game, because if that happens the Llamaserver will always take the maximum time to resolve the turns and the game will slow down for the rest of us. Which leads to the question of stalling the game.

WHAT HAPPENS IF SOMEONE STALLS THE GAME?

Note 1.4: If a player stalls the game three times and I can't get in touch with you, I'm going to start looking for ways to kick your faction out of the game or AI it. I'll do it non-judgmentally (because horrible things happen in real life that prevent us from getting back to games), but I'll do it to protect the flow of the game for the rest of us. LET ME KNOW IF POSSIBLE!

WHAT DOES THE HOSTING TIME MEAN?

Note 2.1: It tells the server how long to wait before generating a new turn automatically. The standard hosting time can be extended whenever I want, so if you know you aren't going to be available for more than 2 days let me know and I'll temporarily increase the turnaround time. My Grog account has an email button and a pmail button under my avatar to the left of any of my posts, or you can post here on the thread.

CAN WE HAVE A SLOWER TURNAROUND TIME?

If a player wants a slower turnaround time as standard, discuss it here; we're generally pretty flexible.

CAN WE HAVE A FASTER TURNAROUND TIME?

Keep in mind that even with a slow turnaround time, the Llamaserver allows us to move along as quickly as everyone can manage. We could have five or ten turns a day (in theory) if everyone is on the ball and sending their turns back! If the Llamaserver time expires, however, it will generate a new turn with the assumption that anyone who hasn't sent in a turn simply did nothing that turn. Anything your faction would automatically do continues onward of course, so you won't have to worry about that.

IF SOMEONE MISSES A TURN CAN WE RELOAD AND GO BACK?

Note 2.2: While we can start new games fresh, we cannot roll back a turn. (Llamaserver theoretically allows this, but the feature is bugged and corrupts save games.) This leads into the topic of  the most likely reason we have to restart the game early.

GAHH!!--I STARTED MY FIRST TURN AND THE GAME ACCUSED ME OF CHEATING AND ALTERED MY PRETENDER AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT HAPPENED AAAHHH!!

Note 3: When you are creating your pretender, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE INSTALLED THE BALANCE MOD AND ALSO ACTIVATED IT IN-GAME!! This must be done first. Otherwise what will happen is that the game will activate the mod for you once the game officially starts, and then list you as trying to hack the game with your pretender, adjusting your pretender for you to fit somehow. (This happened to me myself on my first multiplayer game with the balance mod!) This leads now to the topic of installing mods.

MOD INSTALLING CAN BE HARD -- HOW HARD IS IT IN DOM3?

Note 4: Installing mods is easy. The only mod you'll absolutely have to install is the balance mod listed above, CBM 1.94 (a popular balance mod). You can download that from the link provided, or you can download Ysk's mod folder from his dropbox link provided (which will include the listed graphic mods, too).

If you download Ysk's mod folder, just copy or move it into the Dom3 folder where its "mod" folder is, to replace that folder. If you download the CBM (or graphic mods) directly, unzip them somewhere (ideally into the Dom3 "mod" folder) and then move them into the mod folder. Generally there will be multiple files unzipped, so move them all.

Once this is done, when you boot up Dom3 the game will show icons in the upper right. This indicates the mods are present but not necessarily that they're enabled yet.

Thus you must go to the main Dom3 menu, click the "Preferences" button, and in the next list you'll see at the bottom "Mod preferences". Click that, and you should now see a window showing all available mods and which ones are are already enabled. Just to be safe, click each mod and see what changes. You want to make sure at least the CBM mod is enabled before you create your pretender for the game.

Note 5: If we vote to go vanilla instead, I still recommend to go for Worthy Heroes too (included in CBM already) to make recruiting Heroes better balanced for all nations.

Note 6: I want to put a very good project into the spotlight made by a player called momfreak.
Mod Inspector

This webpage enables you to select some mods that you will be using for the game and then display accurate information about all the spells and items in the game.
You can also view the stock vanilla game data with this webpage. Super handy as reference.

HOW DO WE START THE GAME?

Note 7.1: Once I create the game on Llamaserver (which I won't do until I choose a map) you will all need to send your pretender to Llamaserver. This kind of counts as turn 0.

HOW DO WE SEND OUR PRETENDER TO THE GAME SERVER?

You must send your pretender file as an attachment to: pretenders@llamaserver.net

You absolutely must put the name of the game (and nothing else) in the email title. The title of the game is Groghammer (no exclamation points ;) ). Don't put anything in the body of the email.

WHERE CAN I FIND THE PRETENDER I CREATED SO I CAN SEND MY PRETENDER IN?

You can find your pretender file in your Dominions 3\savegames\newlords folder.
It has a file format <era>_<nation>_#.2h

Usually that filename at the end will be 0.2h, but if you try multiple pretender options for the same era and nation the game will save them as 1.2h, 2.2h, etc. You can send any of those to Llamaserver. Dom3 is not good about easily identifying which pretender version you're sending! -- nor does the game allow you to load up and tweak a previously created pretender. So it will be up to you to make a note somewhere that your first pretender was a vampire queen and the second was a red dragon, and the third was the vampire queen again but with some different magic options than the first one; and if you decide to go with the red dragon pretender you'll have to send the 1.2h file.

You can send a replacement pretender this way, too: it will overwrite any pretenders you've already sent for the same era/nation.

This is the most difficult part of participating in the game. Everything else is much easier...

DOES THE MULTIPLAYER GAME SAVE TO THE DOM3 SAVEGAME FOLDER, OR WHAT EXACTLY?

Note 7.2: Once you've sent in your pretender (or even before then), create a new folder inside the Dom3 "savegame" folder, and name it something you'll recognize as this game. (Don't use spaces in naming it, or Dom3 won't recognize it. Underscores_like_this are fine.)

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE WE MUST DO TO START THE GAME ROLLING?

Note 7.3:  Yes, you must give me an email address for you to send and receive game turns with.

After all the pretenders have been sent in (AND AFTER YOU HAVE GIVEN ME AN EMAIL ADDRESS FOR YOU TO SEND AND RECEIVE YOUR TURNS), I'll kick off the game and you will receive your first turn in the mail. Specifically you'll receive an email with a message from the server saying this is your new game turn, and it will come with an attachment.

WHAT DO I DO WHEN I RECEIVE MY FIRST TURN IN THE MAIL?

Download the attachment, which will have a .trn on the end, and save it into that folder you created for this particular game. I also recommend you keep this email somewhere at least until you receive the next turn.

I HAVEN'T RECEIVED A NEW TURN YET -- WHAT CAN I DO?

Note 7.3.1: I'll provide a link up above to the Llamaserver page for the game once we start, which is mostly useful for checking which turns have been received and if new turns have been sent out. If it says your turn has been sent and you don't have it yet, you can click a button on that page for resending your turn. This usually fixes the problem.

I RECEIVED A TURN BUT WHEN I TRY TO USE IT THE GAME CALLS IT CORRUPTED! WHAT THE HELL NOW?!

Note 7.3.2: Very rarely your turn may be sent corrupted. If so get it resent. If it's still corrupted, let me know; I'll probably be able to email it to you myself, and that usually fixes the problem from there onward.

OKAY I'VE DOWNLOADED MY NEW TURN TO THE FOLDER FOR THIS MULTIPLAYER GAME -- NOW WHAT?

Note 7.4: Now start up Dom3, and click the "Play an ongoing game" button (or whatever it's called, not the new game button) on the first menu. Dom3 will look around for ongoing games, and if you named your folder right and put your .trn file in that folder, this game will show up as an option. You'll have to click to select it, and then affirm your selection with another click on the button for actually playing the game.

Dom3 will then give you another window showing it's ready to load turn whatever of the "Middle Age {your faction here}" game. You can cancel and go back if you're preparing the wrong game, otherwise click on that name to continue. From here on you're in the game doing your various things for your turn, starting off by reading any messages, watching movies of battles, etc. (This part isn't necessarily easy.  ;D )

CAN WE SAVE THE GAME WITHOUT ENDING A TURN, OR START OVER FRESH ON A TURN IF WE MADE A MISTAKE?

Note 7.5: You can go to the "option" menu while playing your turn and quit out of your game without saving, or save the game and quit. This won't end the turn yet, but it will allow you to come back later and finish your turn or start over fresh on it. (Loading any game you've already done things with will give you the option to continue or start over fresh.)

HOW DO WE END THE TURN WHEN WE'RE DONE?

The first item on the menu in the upper right of the screen should be the "End Turn" button. Clicking that will save your game and take you back to the screen where your game is listed to activate or cancel -- except now you'll see a minus sign to the left of your game name. That's okay, it only means you've done things for your turn. If you're ready to email back, you can cancel and go back through the menus to quit the game, or you can Win-key out or alt-tab (if you're feeling lucky or have experimented already about how stable Dom3 is with your operating system!) and keep the game running while you email your turn. But I prefer to quit for emailing.

At any time before or even after you email your turn, you can load up the game and choose to either continue your turn from when you saved it (even after "end turn") or to start your turn over fresh. Just be sure to email your new version of your turn before the server processes it!

HOW DO I SEND MY TURN IN NOW?

Note 7.6: Now email your turn back to turns@llamaserver.net

The easiest thing to do is to find where Llamaserver sent you your turn, and reply to it, attaching your new turn to the email. (This is why I recommended keeping your turn!) But if you want to create a new email from scratch that's okay, too.

You can find your new turn by opening the Dom3 folder, the "savegame" folder, and then the folder you created for this game. There should be two files in that folder now, both with the same name (your faction and the age) but with different extensions. (There should never be any more than two files in this folder.) The .trn file was sent to you, and when the server sends you another turn it'll have exactly the same name and will replace this.

The .2h file is what you'll attach to the email and send to Llama. You can put anything you want in the text body (I put nothing), and you can title the email anything you want.

Note that you ONLY send that .2h file. Never send the .trn file.

I'VE ALREADY SENT MY TURN BUT I CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT SOME THINGS -- CAN I REDO MY TURN?

Yes, so long as the server hasn't received all players' turns yet. (If you're the last one to send in, too bad!) If you redo your turn, "end turn" will overwrite that .2h file and you'll have to remail it to the server.

I WANT TO DO AN AFTER ACTION REPORT OR STUDY MY TURNS LATER -- HOW DO I DO THAT?

When you generate a new turn, the game will overwrite that file; and when you receive a new turn the game will overwrite that file. So if you plan to do an After Action Report, keep all your sent .2h files and received .trn files separately somewhere like in a special folder of your email.

Then create a whole other game folder in your savegame files, with a name that you can recognize for studying your game. If you put a .trn file into that folder, you'll load up at the very start of your turn; if you put a .2h file in, you'll load up at the end of your turn. Note that you'll need the .trn file for watching battle movies.

That's it. The Llamaserver will email you back a notice if it receives your turn and it scanned okay.  Sometimes however the server burps and this notice is never sent, so don't worry too much about it. It may look like a new turn has already been sent, but once you open it you'll be able to quickly tell it isn't -- most importantly it will have no attachment with a .trn extension.

That may all seem complicated, but that's because I'm discussing some things from experience. The actual process is quite easy once you do it once or twice. Make sure you don't save your received turns to the wrong folder, though!--but if you do can always just move them to the correct folder, the turn isn't likely to overwrite anything (unless you're playing another Middle Age game with the same faction and accidentally save it to that folder instead).

For a FAQ on Llamaserver go here

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Vlam

You can set up a game with three ages with a mod (don't remember the name), but it's not balanced: this game is balanced era by era ;) .

I'll buy those giant golem to stomp everyone, you'll see!

JasonPratt

Faction list for Middle Age (remaining factions in bold):

ABYSIA BLOOD AND FIRE -- flamey magma humans (and magma lizards) who also deal in blood magic. [Currently claimed by Philippe]

AGARTHA GOLEM CULT -- underground humans who like clay statues and worship mostly-departed cyclopian giants. [Currently claimed by Vlam]

ARCOSCEPHALE OLD KINGDOM -- ancient Greeks with slightly out of date tech and no mythological troops, but with elephants and cheap magic across all schools. [Currently claimed by the Poo.]

ASHDOD REIGN OF THE ANAKIM -- pre-Jewish Palestinian giants but not so gianty and more death-magicky than they used to be. [Currently claimed by Ogaburan.]

ATLANTIS KINGS OF THE DEEP -- basic underwater froggy-fishy faction, lobsters, coral, water mages. Like Davy Jones' crew in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. [Currently claimed by Elitesix]

BANDAR-LOG LAND OF THE APES -- Hindu ape faction. FREE AGAIN FOR CLAIMING!

CAELUM REIGN OF THE SERAPHIM -- icy winged human faction. [Currently claimed by Bison.]

C'TIS MIASMA -- swampy lizardmen. FREE AGAIN FOR CLAIMING!

ERIU LAST OF THE TUATHA -- humans of elven descent with the nature magic but not the archery, plus some sidhe. [Currently claimed by Brydman57.]

ERMOR BROKEN EMPIRE -- post-Christian Rome starts going undead. [Currently claimed by mkivcs]

JOTENHEIM IRON WOODS -- frost giants and witches. Also, mooses. Moose. Mice. Meeses. Those things. [Currently Ubercat claims the Iron Mice!]

MACHAKA REIGN OF SORCERERS -- Zulus and spiders, nature and death magic. [Currently Undergroundgeek claims them.]

MAN TOWER OF AVALON -- pre-Christian English knights, longbowmen, nature witches. [Currently claimed by ScottWAR.]

MARIGNON FIERY JUSTICE -- Spanish Inquisition, knights and fire magic, heir to old Ermor. [Currently claimed by Lunaje]

MICTLAN REIGN OF THE LAWGIVER -- Aztecs with wider magic but no more blood magic. [Currently claimed by Claes.]

OCEANIA COMING OF THE CAPRICORNS -- ancient Greek underwater faction, nature and water magic. [Currently claimed by Jason]

PANGAEA AGE OF BRONZE -- ancient Greek myth troops.[Currently claimed by tkati]

PYTHIUM EMERALD EMPIRE -- angelic snakey ancient Romans, heir to old Ermor. [Currently claimed by Beelzeboss.]

R'LYEH FALLEN STAR -- Lovecraftian water faction. Super evil and crazy. [Currently claimed by PsiSoldier]

SHINUYAMA BAKEMONO -- pre-Samurai Japanese goblin faction. [Currently claimed by Phobos.]

T'IEN CH'I IMPERIAL BUREAUCRACY -- ancient Chinese humans. [Currently claimed by King of the Scots]

FORGES OF ULM -- heavy armored Germanic humans. [Currently claimed by Myrmidon.]

VANHEIM ARRIVAL OF MAN -- Norse troops, dwarves, valkyrie, some elven giants. [Currently claimed by W8aminute

JasonPratt

Quote from: Vlam on April 03, 2013, 04:02:35 PM
I'll buy those giant golem to stomp everyone, you'll see!

Yeah?! Well, my apes will... um... scamper away! Very very effectively!

byrdman57

I think I'm gonna give Eriu a try. Let's see how badly I fail with that one.

undercovergeek

JasonPratt

Quote from: undercovergeek on April 04, 2013, 04:31:36 AM
Did you put this at desura and shrapnel too?

Not yet; anyone who wishes to do so, please do! (I have 'work' work, and an article to finish writing today.)

W8taminute

Can I play too?  I don't have any preferences for which race I get.  I'm still a big noob with this game and expect to get slaughtered soon but I want to see how multiplayer works and learn a thing or two about the game.   :)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

Sure!--but you'll still need to pick a faction eventually. :) I'll add you to the list.

This thread has only been up for one day, and invitation threads at Desura and Wargamer and Shrapnel still need to be set up, so there's still plenty of time for new players. I don't anticipate starting until late next week probably.