Doctrinal Wargaming

Started by bayonetbrant, January 03, 2014, 03:35:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bickford

Brant you have been championing doctrinally correct gaming for years now.
I completely agree with everything you've done and in my opinion you are 100% correct for doing it.

HOWEVER
Gamer's today simply do not care about doctrine or reality or accuracy, they just want fun.
It has been proven time and again over the last 10-15 years.
Maybe, maybe, 1% want to do it right, all the rest including the vocal senior members here just want a quick easy game.
Even the self proclaimed high & mighty OCS demigods on CSW/BGG have no damn clue about doctrine.

bayonetbrant

Oh, I don't doubt that gamers want to game, rather than doctrinalizing their way through a game.

I was simply hoping to provide some info for those 1% of players that might want to poke their way into some of the doctrine.

I'm not advocating that everyone shift what they do / how they do it.  I'm simply providing some information for those who care :)
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

James Sterrett

All true - but even if you don't do it right, understanding the planning process will make you a better gamer.  :)

Bison

It seems to me that some doctrinal aspects are incorporated into games by gamers even if they don't recognize or give much thought to it.  The OPORD and doing METT-TC analysis of the situation on the board comes to mind right off hand.

LongBlade

Some of us wargamers have spent their lives in the civilian world and wouldn't know a doctrinally-correct wargame if it bit us on the butt.

My suggestion is to make a wargame that's doctrinally-correct and then teach players the how and why. Then you'll see the fanbase grow.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Barthheart

Quote from: LongBlade on January 09, 2014, 09:58:42 AM
Some of us wargamers have spent their lives in the civilian world and wouldn't know a doctrinally-correct wargame if it bit us on the butt.

My suggestion is to make a wargame that's doctrinally-correct and then teach players the how and why. Then you'll see the fanbase grow.

This.

bayonetbrant

bayonetbrant

bump....  just to annoy Mirth with the resurrection threads

mirth

Pfft. This isn't even 3 years old.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant