The Hunters

Started by Nefaro, November 18, 2013, 10:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Silent Victory is pretty awesome. I have Silent War also but have yet to crack it to play.

Raiders of the Deep from Compass looks all kinds of awesome, though.

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on March 24, 2018, 11:45:30 PM
I keep thinking I want to get The Hunters, but with Silent Victory on my shelf...I think it's just a matter of taste. SV is supposed to be more polished than The Hunters, but The Hunters has a lot of appeal. So too does Compass Games' Raiders Of The Deep, which I really would like to try out.

I have both.

There isn't much difference between them other than the setting.  From my few playthroughs of each, I think Silent Victory is a bit more challenging as a whole.

If I only had SV, and knew how very similar they are, I'd use the money I was thinking of spending on The Hunters towards a different game system.  Once you've played one, you've pretty much played the whole series.

BanzaiCat

I've got Raiders of the Deep coming. Couldn't resist. :(

Nefaro

Quote from: BanzaiCat on March 27, 2018, 01:00:20 PM

At least it's set during a different war.  O0

BanzaiCat

It's at a better price point than The Hunters, which I've seen from $100 on up. I would love to have it but man, it's too close to the source material. I admit too that playing as an Axis (err, Central Powers) entity would be interesting, so this will scratch that sorta itch I think.

Barthheart

$100 for The Hunters!?!  :o Maybe I need to sell my copy and get a copy of the 3rd printing that's coming out....

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on March 27, 2018, 08:46:14 PM
$100 for The Hunters!?!  :o Maybe I need to sell my copy and get a copy of the 3rd printing that's coming out....

I was just thinking the same thing...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

It's showing as unavailable now on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Hunters-German-U-Boats-War-1939-43/dp/B00HNJPXI0

...but I've seen it for upwards of $120 or so there.

That could just be third-party gougers though. Not sure if the wargamer market would bear that.

You could always try over in the Wargamer's Market group on Facebook. I rue the day I joined that group. So many awesome games get posted there every day. I made a few quick sales myself with some older titles I bought way back in the day.

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on March 27, 2018, 08:46:14 PM

No kidding. 

Hell, I'm fine with just having Silent Victory. 

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Nefaro on March 27, 2018, 05:29:38 PM
Quote from: BanzaiCat on March 27, 2018, 01:00:20 PM

At least it's set during a different war.  O0

And...it has the No. 1 Austrian U-boat Ace, Georg Johannes von Trapp...also known as the "Sound of Music" guy...
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.