Updated Solitaire Games Listing

Started by DennisS, June 18, 2018, 10:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

OK..give me some ideas....All the Leader series are on the list, and all the D-Day games. Looking for more!!

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Advocator

My best solitaire wargaming experiences have all come from John Butterfield.  If you can find a copy, get Ambush.  You can likely find it for reasonable prices (the expansions, not so much).  Very strong narrative and you end up starting to care (maybe too much) about your paper soldiers.  I didn't care as much for Battle Hymn, which was based on the same system, but that could have just been me.  Also by Butterfield, D-Day at Omaha Beach is really good too.  There are others in the series, but I've not played them.  I have, but have yet to crack open, Enemy Action Ardennes, but a friend of mine has told me it's very good.

If you're looking for non-WWII, then I've really enjoyed Don't Tread on Me.

And stepping away from war gaming, I'll strongly recommend Mage Knight.  I believe a Big Box version will be coming out soonish, but I don't know that it'll add enough to make it worth waiting for.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Advocator on June 18, 2018, 11:17:25 PMI believe a Big Box version will be coming out soonish, but I don't know that it'll add enough to make it worth waiting for.

How much bigger are they making the box?!
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Advocator on June 18, 2018, 11:17:25 PM
My best solitaire wargaming experiences have all come from John Butterfield.  If you can find a copy, get Ambush.  You can likely find it for reasonable prices (the expansions, not so much).  Very strong narrative and you end up starting to care (maybe too much) about your paper soldiers.  I didn't care as much for Battle Hymn, which was based on the same system, but that could have just been me.  Also by Butterfield, D-Day at Omaha Beach is really good too.  There are others in the series, but I've not played them.  I have, but have yet to crack open, Enemy Action Ardennes, but a friend of mine has told me it's very good.

And stepping away from war gaming, I'll strongly recommend Mage Knight.  I believe a Big Box version will be coming out soonish, but I don't know that it'll add enough to make it worth waiting for.

Love Butterfield!  He also did RAF...Eagle and Lion...Battle of Britain games...well worth a look

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

ArizonaTank

There really are so many good choices for solitaire games these days....

Don't forget the VG dynamic duo: Carrier and Tokyo Express...

Silent Victory and the Hunters....

The best Atlantic WWII solitaire game:  Steel Wolves (it has a buddy...Silent War for the Pacific)
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22359/steel-wolves-german-submarine-campaign-against-all

Hapsburg Eclipse is also fun....

I also had fun with Armies of the White Sun (S&T issue 305) a strategic level view of Japan's WWII invasion of China.

Target for Today...basically a B-17 update.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Pinetree

Fields of Fire - probably the most realistic tactical game out there.  Rulebook's not great though.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

Silent Disapproval Robot

Enemy Coast Ahead: Dambusters.

Enemy Coast Ahead: The Doolittle Raid.

bbmike

This x1000! Don't Tread on Me is great solitaire game. The other two games in that series (British War Series) are:
N: The Napoleonic Wars and Mrs Thatcher's War: The Falklands.

And I just noticed on BGG that Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism is about to be released!
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

smittyohio

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/233582/2017-peoples-choice-top-100-solo-games-100-1-101-2?titlesonly=1

A couple of things to note with that list... The ranking goes from 100 to 1, but the way the geeklist numbers it is ascending order.  Also, they added more after 100 to show others that almost cracked the top 100.  I sadly (happily?) own way too many of the top 100.  Obviously war games don't dominate the list, but there are some great games there.  Switching from computer games to board games has cost me thousands of dollars, but I actually PLAY the board games instead of just putzing around like I did with video games. 

Nefaro

Quote from: bbmike on June 19, 2018, 05:47:12 AM

This x1000! Don't Tread on Me is great solitaire game. The other two games in that series (British War Series) are:
N: The Napoleonic Wars and Mrs Thatcher's War: The Falklands.

And I just noticed on BGG that Gorbachev: The Fall of Communism is about to be released!

All three of those have been on my wish list.  I think they're offered in a bundle deal, too.

Question:  Does that publisher print it's own stuff "on demand", or do they stock up on product printed elsewhere?  Always concerned about stuff going out of print.  :pullhair:

JasonPratt

The Warfighter series is like crack, and essentially a solitaire game which allows room for fellow players to jump in, too.

A grand collection of the Modern series (not WW2 yet) can be bought cheap on Tabletop Simulator.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

DennisS

Thanks everyone.

In order, from the first response:

QuoteStates of Siege games from VPG are pretty good

I will start the research on these. Thanks.

I played Ambush! and Battle Hymn until I had the spawn locations memorized. DON'T STEP ON G32! An MG-42 will show up at H-30!

I have Mage Knight, and love it. Lost Legion is on my list. D-Day at Omaha/Pelileu/Tarawa all on the list, but are difficult to find.

Love Butterfield!  He also did RAF...Eagle and Lion...Battle of Britain games...well worth a look

Have RAF: 1940, and London's Burning. Both terrific games.

There really are so many good choices for solitaire games these days....

Don't forget the VG dynamic duo: Carrier and Tokyo Express...

Silent Victory and the Hunters....

The best Atlantic WWII solitaire game:  Steel Wolves (it has a buddy...Slilent War for the Pacific)
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22359/steel-wolves-german-submarine-campaign-against-all

Hapsburg Eclipse is also fun....

I also had fun with Armies of the White Sun (S&T issue 305) a strategic level view of Japan's WWII invasion of China.

Target for Today...basically a B-17 update.

I am sitting here looking at my copies of Carriers! and Tokyo Express. Both excellent titles. Same with Silent Victory and the Hunters.

Steel Wolves is on the list, as is GATO Leader. Not a super huge fan of German sub sims...I know how that movie ends.

B-17: QotS is one of my all-time favorite titles...Target for Today looks pretty good, and is on the list.

A couple of things to note with that list... The ranking goes from 100 to 1, but the way the geeklist numbers it is ascending order.  Also, they added more after 100 to show others that almost cracked the top 100.  I sadly (happily?) own way too many of the top 100.  Obviously war games don't dominate the list, but there are some great games there.  Switching from computer games to board games has cost me thousands of dollars, but I actually PLAY the board games instead of just putzing around like I did with video games.

I am on BGG a lot..and this list of solitaire games is one I have reviewed often. I am subscribed on the monthly "what are you playing" thread, and get to find out about all the newest, hottest board games. This is how I discovered Lords of Waterdeep, Terraforming Mars, and one other game I am considering, Gloomhaven. Not sure about spending $200 on Gloomhaven though....

Silent Disapproval Robot

Grab the Lord of the Rings LCG.  It's a lot cheaper than Gloomhaven (unless you get hooked and buy all the expansions), it's fun, and very challenging.

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on June 20, 2018, 04:39:37 PM
Grab the Lord of the Rings LCG.  It's a lot cheaper than Gloomhaven (unless you get hooked and buy all the expansions), it's fun, and very challenging.

Seems like their boxed expansions regularly go out of print.  I hope they don't stop reprinting the Lotr LCG anytime soon.